? about med changes...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

doulachic

? about med changes...

Post by doulachic » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:35 am

hi all, had a question i was hoping someone would know...today my doctor switched my blood pressure medication...i have been taking a dieretic (spelling?) for a little over a year, but the meds make me really dizzy so he is taking me off of them and putting me on something else...anyway, i was wondering if anyone knew if going off of a dieretic can cause fluid weight gain? ok, maybe i am just being paranoid and vain, but i don't want to gain a zillion pounds of water weight! :shock:

so i was just wondering if anyone had experience with this type of thing or knew anything about it? i am going to start the new pills next week, so just wondering what to expect there...i forgot to ask the dr. :roll:

thanks!
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:46 am

Hey Tricia!
Sorry you had bad symptoms there, but glad to hear you are taking measures to change that...
Diuretics are very harmful to the kidneys when taken on a regular basis..
I'm glad you aren't going to take those all the time...
I'd just be really cautious about salt intake with high blood pressure, and also, up your exercise! That's proven to help lower blood pressure..
And guess what else does?????

Yep!

Massage :)

It's clincally proven to lower blood pressure! Yay...

Yoga and meditation help on that front too... Check out that free class :)

If you just drink lots of water and occasionally add some fresh lemon juice, that is a good way of flushing your system without hurting your kidneys... Stay away from high sodium items...Unfortunately, pretty much most processed foods are high sodium, so just make stuff from scratch to control that...

Another really obvious one here is just losing weight...
You are doing that too, so things should just keep getting better as you get closer and closer to a healthy weight...

Hope you have a great night and good luck with all of this!
Love,
8) Deb

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:11 am

thanks Deb!

i am trying to improve my overall health, especially because i have the high BP...i don't know if it makes any difference, but my BP is hereditary...gee, i'm only 35! :roll: but both my parents have it, as well as a few of my siblings, so i guess i come by it honestly...Fortunately, it was discovered by a routine visit to my "girly" doctor...i had absolutely NO symptoms of high blood pressure when i was diagnosed....just goes to show you all, get regular checkups!! you're never too young..or too old...to have a problem.

anyway, i would love to get down to my goal weight and be able to get off meds all together, but i don't know if i will actually be able to get off them even then..but hey it's worth a try.

the lemon water is a good idea! think i will try that...i LOVE lemons anyway. Thank goodness i am not a salt junkie like some...i can even eat popcorn without salt and like it! :lol:

thanks and i'll keep you all posted.
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."