Personal Punch Cards Podcast

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
reinhard
Site Admin

Personal Punch Cards Podcast

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:05 pm

I touched on this briefly with "chain of self-command," here's more (but still not enough, I keep thinking of obvious stuff I should have added):

http://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=19

Reinhard

Schnebit

Post by Schnebit » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:42 pm

Reinhard, just wanted to say that I really love these "systems" (Habit Traffic Light, Chain of Personal Command, Monthly Resolution, etc.). I've been trying to come up with a way to get new habits to stick and hold myself accountable to them. Your systems seem like a great way to get those things to get that accomplished.

I mean, habits/behaviors aren't really goals in the traditional sense because they're not really results-oriented (i.e. measurable). You're either doing the behavior or you're not...

I'm not really big on "resolutions" either, but I'm a pretty avid goal setter. One question though - do you truly limit yourself to one new habit per month?

Thanks for sharing!

MD

Post images of some cards?

Post by MD » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:25 pm

Hi ! Thanks for the podcast! I like your card system and am interested in seeing an example or two. Have you done this yet: "I'm going to scan and post images of some of my cards on the everydaysystems.com website ..." ?? If so, please let me know where on the site to look. Thanks and keep up the good work.
-MD

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:02 pm

MD -- I'll scan the images tonight if I can figure out how to get my scanner running and post the link here. Thanks for your interest!

Schnebit -- I just started using the cards this month, but I've been doing monthly resolutions for a while, and yes, I limit myself to one new resolution a month. But some of these resolutions kick off habits that last much longer than a month. 12 a year is plenty. 6 a year is plenty. Beats the pants off the 0 a year that most people (including my former self) manage.

Reinhard

Schnebit

Post by Schnebit » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:30 pm

That's a great point, Reinhard...

I was trying to get a feel if you thought that more than 12 was manageable, but as you pointed out 12 in one year would be phenomenal.... even if only half of those were to stick, that would still be quite an accomplishment.

Thanks for the perspective!

Jim

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:31 pm

OK, dug my scanner out of the basement and got some images up. I'll turn these into a real, cleaned up web page with some more context, but for now, it's just images.

To see some daily "foot soldier" cards:

http://everydaysystems.com/cards/2007/01/

(file names are date + side (a or b) of card)

The last card (2007-01-12) is in progress, to show what a card might look like early in the morning before you'd accomplished anything or even figured out everything that you were going to do.

To see some yearly "general" cards:

http://everydaysystems.com/cards/2007

I only have one monthly card so far since I just started this, and it's of a somewhat sensitive nature, so I'll wait till I have a more suitable example before I post one.

Reinhard

MD

Post by MD » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:17 pm

Thanks for uploading the scanned cards. I understand your system better now, thanks; it's a good one.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:48 am

I decided to give your punch-card system a try. It was really, really close to what I did anyway... I've done "Habits of the Month" for years, and make a daily list of stuff, which I generally divided into work and self/home. (I liked specifically breaking those out into three categories, btw. I think of mine as self, work, relationships/home/community.)

So, I thought it would be easy, because I saw it as just a few tweaks. But the "must do" and "could do" sides of the card are really teaching me a lot about myself. I had everything together on one 5x8 piece of paper, front-side only, and failed to distinguish between the really important and... well, and the stuff that would be easy to cross-off.

So what am I learning?

First, that I frequently over-scheduled and re-wrote on my next-day's list. More than I like to admit. I am already being more careful what I put on the "must" side of my card.

Second, I learned that I started being very anxious and stressed by unmarked-through tasks. (Recovering perfectionist, remember?) But I was determined to do this for 21 days before I gave up. So, here are some tweaks I developed to help me cope.
- Write something across the top that's sort of a stress-reduction mantra. I've used "Celebrate accomplishments" (to remind myself to focus on what I HAVE done) and "Be calm and efficient" ( to remind myself that being stressed doesn't increase productivity). That line goes up there with the date, so I see it everytime I look at the card.
- I'm toying with an "Olympics" system for stars (I WANT my star, dammit!) - but I'm going to wait until the 21 days are up before I try that.
- Put less on the card. Start with the critical stuff, and be more realistic. (Well, doh!)

I also wrote a summary card of my yearly goals - all starting with verbs (ex: Nurture relationships) - and taped that to the outside top of the index card box. So each night, when I put up my daily card, I see my "vision" goals again.

Weekends are a little fuzzy... work isn't really on the list, but "home" gets a lot b/c it's a big cleaning time. For weekends, I may let the "work" column be for that, and put things like meeting folks for dinner in the 3rd column...

Anyway, will work with it and post back.

(Btw, I am a big fan of GTD, and this works perfectly well with that.)

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:43 am

Well, it's been a little over a month now with my "blue card" system. (I'm using blue for my daily cards.)

I'm getting more done. I've stopped stressing over "all I have to do" and started focusing on what matters most.

Definitely a keeper. It helps me focus and not be overwhelmed with all the tasks waiting in the wings...

Tweaks:
- I mark the MITs (Most important tasks - no more than 3) on my card. The whole card is still intended to be the "must do" list, but there are usually some tasks more critical than others - and they're usually the ones I'm most resisting, for some reason. Putting a star by them makes me focus on them first. And I feel SUCH a sense of accomplishment when I get those done.

- I still like and use the "mantra" across the top. Don't use it everyday, but it helps when I do.

- Weekends... I still use the self/routines column. "Work" becomes chores and errands, plus any work tasks I've decided I will do on a weekend. The right-hand column gets used for "coordination" with my spouse and child, so that I remember to schedule my exercise around my husband's haircut, for example.

- I'm less obsessed with the stars... and getting them more often. Ain't that life.

- The compound/atomic tasks podcast that Reinhard just posted is PERFECT timing... exactly what I needed for further fine-tuning. (Thanks, Reinhard!)

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:21 am

I too have been using the daily punchcard for awhile. It has been a very useful tool.

Reinhard puts out some of the very best material available on personal development through self-discipline.

Joel

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:57 pm

I'm happy the cards are working for you KCCC and Joel!

KCCC: the mantra idea is great... may try that myself.

I'm still slowly refining how I do them... but it's pretty stable. I'm getting better at keeping my errand column as 10 rows or less, and my routines are slowly becoming better and more sustainable.

I think the biggest challenge is "emergency management:" what to do in situations when your full blown ordinary routine becomes impossible. I'm not quite decided yet whether during "emergencies" one should just take the hit in terms of a lot of undone routine tasks, officially (temporarily) rethink and reduce the number of routine tasks, or keep the tasks unchanged and just accept the tiniest token effort for each of them.

I've had a very hectic month (nosdiet book draft deadline), and I've tried all three. I'm not quite sure which is best, but I did make a card for every single day, and that in itself was an enormous help. I'll have more practice with emergencies when our second child arives in June.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:06 pm

I don't quite do MITs (though that's a good idea), though I sometimes circle the number in front of tasks that have lingered from the previous day's card. I guess I don't want to distract myself from really trying to budget and follow through well enough to get everything on my list done.

I try to order my tasks roughly chronologically. This minimizes agonizing about what to do next, and if a "work" or "errand" item is particularly important, bumping up the order on the list helps see that it gets done, because uncrossed out items on the top "nag" at me then all day long.

Reinhard

stevecooper

Index Card Systems

Post by stevecooper » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:45 am

I know it's been mentioned before, but the Hipster PDA might appeal to some people;

http://www.43folders.com/2004/09/03/int ... pster-pda/

Also, if you're looking for some nice printable templates for the hipster pda;

http://www.diyplanner.com/templates/official/hpda

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri May 04, 2007 9:13 pm

Just wanted to say that I have bought my second pack of colored index cards, so this is obviously working for me...

And "un-bundling" tasks that need extra attention are a good step, one that also work for routines that are giving trouble. Posted about that in No-S.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 08, 2007 1:45 pm

Glad it's working for you, KCCC!

I'm still at it with the daily cards, too. And batting a thousand for the monthly resolution cards in 2007!

Reinhard

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Wed May 16, 2007 7:05 am

I've been trying this too, and I like it. Here's how I've tweeked the concept for me:

I have separated the work cards from the routine and errand cards:

The work one sits on my desk and is a weekly card, separated into 5 days. On Friday I write on each column what I'd like to accomplish each day of the next week. As I finish a job I cross it out (Ahhhh). But I'm flexible. I can do a Wednesday job on Monday and a Monday job on Friday, but it all has to get done in the week. This works well for me because I have a big problem taking the stress from my job home. Keeping the card on my desk forces me to keep it at work, and if I've crossed out all the things on my list for a day I've earned the right to absolutely NOT think about it until I get to work the next day.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 17, 2007 3:37 pm

Hi Zoolina,

That's a nice tweak... work/life divide is a serious issue for many people, myself included. I'd considered using separate cards, too. But for me the pro of having all my daily imperatives in one place outweighed that (plus I work from home at least once a week which kind of complicates the situation a bit). And using one card with multiple columns gives me *a bit* of a divide

I think 90% of the power of using daily index cards comes from limiting your planning to just one day at a time. Whether you use columns like I do and what they are is a detail. Tomorrow? Worry about it then. "Sufficient unto the day are the evils thereof." Didn't get everything done yesterday? Today is a new day, a clean start. You can keep the old cards as a record, if you want, but you don't have to lug them around with you as cumulative, oppressive reminders of what you haven't done.

Concentrating them all in one small place (or two, in your version) makes your problems seem smaller, too. And since they're all on that one little card in front of you, you won't have this stress in the back of your mind that maybe other problems are lurking elsewhere.

Anyway, glad this is catching on! I'm finding it indispensably useful.

Reinhard

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Thu May 17, 2007 6:56 pm

I still haven't incorporated the yearly and monthly cards into my routine, but the dailies have been tremendously helpful. I like the idea of having a five-day snapshot of the week on a single card. I may prepare one of those cards for next week while still operating from my daily punchcard.

This is a very simple but very useful tool for planning your day. I have found that it helps me focus on what I need to get done. I simply check the card anytime I am between tasks or have some downtime to know where I need to head next, and I review it several times during the day just to make sure that I am still on target.

Joel

Xtal

Post by Xtal » Tue May 29, 2007 7:27 pm

What a great system! I've just started today. I like relating the daily tasks to the monthly and yearly goals... if something I'm doing at the daily level doesn't tie in somehow with my yearly/monthly goals, I have to really question why I'm doing it.

I'm also using the Habitcal to track my compliance with the Personal Punchcard System. :D

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed May 30, 2007 5:10 pm

Hi Xtal,

I'm glad you like it! It's definitely a keeper for me.

On the rare days when I didn't make a card, I made a retroactive card the next day, just to record what I'd done.

A useful little finesse I've been doing for the last few weeks: write and box a "main event" (or "leitmotiv," for the operatically inclined) at the top of each daily card, to remind you of the most important issue you want to focus on that day. Helps to lift you above the details a bit.

I'm still batting a thousand on the monthly resolution cards.

Reinhard

Elizabeth 7

Post by Elizabeth 7 » Thu May 31, 2007 9:05 pm

I just wanted to post and say that I absolutely love this system! I tend to be a procrastinator and a bit scatterbrained... I am one of those people who gets a lot of things done, and done by the time it needs to be done, but it's not what I would call in an orderly fashion, and I often find myself panicking (sp?) by the end. I tend to completely overschedule and think I can take over Europe in one day... or at least in one week!

I find when I use the punchcard system (daily cards only; I have not done monthly or yearly), I not only have a more realistic schedule as some have said in this thread, but I feel really good and confident about what I have accomplished. I can't explain it really; maybe it's just the fact that though I have already learned to acknowledge myself more for what I have accomplished in general, there are always loose ends. Nothing is ever done. But with this system, you know where the end is, at least in a single day. Sure, you can keep going when it's done, but you know you've accomplished something realistic but sometimes meaningful and difficult at the end of the card. After all, if you leave the difficult task undone, you don't get your star! (And no, I can't believe how motivating a ridiculous foil star-- yes, I bought stickers!-- can be.)

I also love the fact that I only have to track one notecard-- it doesn't get lost in one day and I don't have to carry my bulky planner that you have to open and close every time you use it around. It's just right there in front of your face-- what you have to do, today, period.

I have made a few tweaks, though, some that were mentioned here, that really increase its effectiveness for me. I also "star" (with a pencil) the three most important tasks, because, again, I'm a procrastinator. I try to do these items first, but it's not mandatory. The stars remind me that I need to focus on them, and I also try to get these done even if I know I won't be able to get my (foil) star that day... otherwise, I might be weak and give up the entire to-do list minus the things that *have* to be done that day.

I also like the phrase "celebrate accomplishments" and the one about remaining calm and productive. Both are really perfect for me, also, and I often put them on my card-- thanks for mentioning them!

Lastly, I try to add one or two "fun" activities that I want to do that day on the card. Maybe watching a TV program or taking a walk, or going to an aerobics class: rewards for working throughout the rest of the day. I try to make these "must" activities, inspired by a book I recently read about procrastination that encourages you to schedule at least one hour of "guilt-free play" each day.

Anyway, I have rambled on and on. I am in the middle of my Master's thesis while working a "real" job that requires a good degree of brainpower and a LOT of driving on my part, and have probably really overbooked myself with activities in general.

Just wanted to say "thanks" and share how this system has worked for me!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:11 pm

Welcome the the bulletin board, Elizabeth. I'm very excited to see how the punch cards are catching on.

I too put down fun stuff as "tasks." Less to remind myself to do fun stuff than because if it takes time it displaces other tasks and I need to budget for that. Plus it makes me not resent fun stuff because I think "hey I really should be doing something else..." It gives me credit instead of guilt.

Reinhard

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:10 pm

A new tweak to share... I have started writing JOT by anything I'm resisting.

JOT stands for Just One Thing. So, if I've written "Bills JOT." I get credit for just pulling out the bill folder and putting it on my desk.

Yes, bills have to go on tomorrow's card. But JOT for tomorrow can be just doing the electronic ones, or just the paper ones... whatever.

I like it because it lowers resistance. If I do JOT, I can count that as an accomplishment and mark it off my card. Well, okay then, I can do something.

And it often leads to doing more than the minimum. Once I open the bill folder, I may realize that there aren't that many and just polish them off. Or I figure out what I need to do next, which also lowers resistance for the project as a whole (a key premise in GTD, but hard to implement sometimes).

At worst, the fact that I need to write it helps me recognize that I have a problem area.

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:24 pm

So did you ever post a monthly card?

I'd really like to see one since we're just starting August.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:58 pm

Not yet! Thanks for the nudge. I'll do it shortly. I've actually got a bunch now.

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:55 pm

Yay!

If you don't mind, could you also transcribe them? Reading handwriting on a screen is hard for me. If it's troublesome don't bother, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:38 pm

I'd be interested in seeing a monthly card too. Don't think I have that down as well.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:23 am

Due to my long absence, I've only just seen this.

Must admit it's an exciting idea that might just help me get some kind of control back - I'm currently working an average 62 hour week, with a contractual 40 hours and unpaid overtime... (yes, I know. I'm a mug. But bizarrely I really enjoy what I do - or maybe I'm just addicted to the adrenaline of trying to get everything finished every day when it's clearly impossible to do so :lol: )

But, I need to procrastinate a bit more before I jump in and start making those cards. I will give this some serious thought. Watch this space...
CaroleJo

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:41 am

I'm glad you're intrigued, Carolejo. It's continued to be a great system for me. In fact I've got a great add on that I hope to do a podcast on shortly...

Reinhard

Meg

Punch cards are working for me!

Post by Meg » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:55 am

These are really working for me. Giving myself a star for 100% completion gets me excited about doing things I would normally put off. Also makes me careful about what I commit to doing...

So far, I'm using three columns, each with a cheesebally name that keeps me motivated. 'Zen Life' is the household-routine column. Another column is devoted to healthy body; won't share the name of this column--too embarassing. And then the third column rotates. Sometimes it addresses art. Sometimes it is devoted to finances. Sometimes to cooking or gardening/nature.

Anyhoo, just wanted to thank Reinhard for making it more fun to get the important stuff done.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:49 pm

Meg,

I'm glad to hear this. I'm actually sort of amazed at how well this has continue to work. I'm also amazed, as you point out, how fun it is. Besides increasing efficiency in practical matters, it's psychologically really helpful. I always feel like I have something attainable to do. It's hard to feel down when success is so clearly defined and near at hand. I also love looking over the boxes of my two years of completed cards -- what an indisputable mass of accomplishment!

Thanks for the details -- feel free to post a (redacted, if necessary) image if you feel inclined and get a chance. It would be really cool to see what others besides myself are doing. I'd be happy to stick it on my server if you don't know where to host it.

Reinhard

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:45 pm

The daily cards are so much a part of my routine that I can't imagine getting things done without them. How did I ever get anything accomplished before daily punch cards?!?!?!?! :wink:

Joel

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:43 pm

Great to hear this, Joel!

I should probably dignify this family of systems (chain of self-command, personal punch cards, bigger picture) with a real website instead of just scattered podcasts some time soon....

Reinhard

Meg

Post by Meg » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:14 am

reinhard wrote: feel free to post a (redacted, if necessary) image if you feel inclined and get a chance. It would be really cool to see what others besides myself are doing. I'd be happy to stick it on my server if you don't know where to host it.

Reinhard
Ack! Now the pressure's on to pick a suitably productive and (ideally) intriguing day. Often, my cards are filled with mundane things like 'slice strawberries', 'call babysitter', 'wash darks'...

Will work on it!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:43 pm

Oh, don't worry!

We're going for realism here, not high drama :-)

"slice strawberies" and "wash darks" are exactly the kinds of things people want to see.

Reinhard

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:09 pm

I just started trying the personal punch cards, and the first day, it worked great. The second day (today), not so much. Reason - I never got around to filling out the card! I have 2 tasks listed under WORK, but I meant to do (and actually did, too) much more than 2 tasks. On the home side my list is totally blank.

So my question is, have you found a time that works well for you for filling out the cards? Do you do it at home or at the office? First thing in the morning, or last thing before bed?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:46 pm

I don't have a set time. I carry it around with me in my wallet and add (and cross out) tasks throughout the day. Sometimes (rather often, actually) I'll even retroactively add a task if I forgot to write it down first.

When I'm at my desk I'll often take the card out of my wallet and put in in front of me on my desk. Hard to forget about it when it's right in front of you.

Knowing that I'll have to tick a red box on my habitcal for "tasks" if I don't get my minimum quota of 7 in each column done is a great incentive to find time!

Reinhard

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:59 pm

Ah, the quota of 7 is a great idea. I think you mentioned that before but I'd forgotten. That definitely does increase the incentive.

I don't know if I want 7 in the non-work columns but I can set my quota differently if I so choose. :) I'll try that tomorrow and see how it goes.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Revisiting this (since it's the New Year). Would like more info, particularly on "The Big Picture" and Monthly Goals.

How did you come up with your goal areas?
How often do you update your Big Picture? Regularly scheduled, or when you feel like it?

On your monthly goals, about how many do you have each month? Do you intentionally spread across your columns/goal areas, or have any system for choosing?

I've just come off a "just survive" phase, but expect to be doing a lot of thinking about "where do I want to go from here" in the next few months, so am looking toward more of the big picture type of planning...

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:42 am

Hi KCCC,

I've been thinking of doing another podcast to revisit my productivity systems, but here's a "preview:"

I'm still practicing all three, but in somewhat altered form:

My daily cards are largely the same EXCEPT I have just two columns instead of three: Work and Personal. The three columns (Work, Personal, Routine) turned out to be a little too much when things got majorly stressful. I also no longer hold myself to a quota of seven. Although I usually have no problem blasting past seven (double columns are a far more frequent issue) not having the quota gives me a little more flexibility when stuff hits the fan. It's possible that the quota was good/necessary to have in the beginning, but at this point, I definitely find it helpful not to have one.

My monthly cards are exactly the same in terms of format. But I use them a little differently. I used to try to think of the single most important thing of any kind (work, a project, a habit) I had to focus on each month and make that the goal, but I found that was a little too inflexible. Now I try to use them to regulate/test habits and behavioral goals rather than concrete, finite goals to achieve because I think they're just better at that.

My "big picture" has changed the most. Conceptually, it's the same: a limited size "container" to refine and focus my high level ambitions and provide a manageable overview. But the 4 column version I'd been using before turned out to be 1) too complicated and fiddly in times of extreme stress 2) I shrunk the font something ridiculous and managed to stuff an overwhelming amount onto it.

I now (since April 2010) use a simple one column list (google doc) with a normal font, broken down into sections with headers. Although I don't have a physical size limit (it can stretch to more than one page) it gets embarrassing when there are too many and so I have incentive to trim it down to size. This "soft limit" does its job without require me to fiddle with formatting etc. under pressure. I color code high priority items in yellow (urgent) and red (extremely urgent). I try not to put anything there that doesn't really have to be. If an issue needs more detail, or I'm less sure about it, I devote a new google doc to it.

I'll post some example cards/big picture in a bit -- just have to scrub for sensitive information.

Reinhard

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks, Reinhard.

That sounds similar to what I do in terms of "habits of the month" and my running lists of projects for work/home (sort of like Autofocus, if you know that system). However, my "running list of projects" is somewhat event-driven or task-driven, and I think I want something more... well, intentional.

In the old Covey 2x2 of urgent/important, my project list tends to be urgent/important. I want to get to not-urgent/important... the neglected quadrant where life purpose and meaning often dwell.

(And this is sounding far too heavy and serious, but I am facing some "big life transitions" and it's actually stuff I need to think about. Big directions, what matters to me, etc.)

Will look forward to seeing your lists.

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:31 am

I'd love to see/hear a podcast on your revisions.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Sorry for the extremely delayed response -- it's coming!

My productivity systems are going gangbusters -- just not quite gangbusters enough to actually find to to report on them! I'll make it my monthly resolution for March.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:40 pm

reinhard wrote:
Sorry for the extremely delayed response -- it's coming!

My productivity systems are going gangbusters -- just not quite gangbusters enough to actually find to to report on them! I'll make it my monthly resolution for March.
Look forward to it! :)

Fenders

Routine-focused punch cards

Post by Fenders » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:13 am

I've developed a couple of minor modifications for the punch card system that I thought would be worth sharing. Note that I'm only using the cards to track habits, so I have more space to work with.

1. My annual goal cards each have one big target with several tactics. My monthly card has a target chosen from the annual tactics list, as well as specific monthly tactics to achieve that target. My daily cards all share the current monthly tactic.

2. Daily cards include bite-sized chunk versions of the current tactic, so that I can achieve multiple successes during the day. Daily challenges (ie dinner at pizza place tonight) go on back.

3. On the other side (as in right/left side) of the front of the daily card I have a table for a status report and outcome. Rows: 1 row for each habit I'm tracking. Columns: one for status prior to today, one for today's outcome.

The status/outcome I'm currently tracking is days on habit. For instance, status = x days, outcome = x+ 1.

There is a danger inherent here that if I blow a really long streak, I'll become morose and go off task, so I am considering modifying this and am interested in ideas.

Gepetto

People Using Personal Punchcards / CoSC?

Post by Gepetto » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:53 am

Hi all,

I've been using the chain of self-command at the footsoldier level for a week now, and have found it very useful. As a list-maker who spends most of my days in meetings, having a way to focus the few critical things that need to get done each day have been a great boon in helping to focus the little bit of time left to "do my real job".

As the last message in this thread is over a year old, I am curious whether there are still people out there using the system, and perhaps how it has evolved (and if not, what does it look like in its most stable form)?

Thanks,

Gepetto
Start Date: 11/12/2012
Start Weight: 323 lbs.
Current Weight: 320 lbs.
Last Signature Update: 11/25/2012

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:40 pm

Still people listening to the podcasts and reading the threads - I'm 3 months into No S diet and now starting on the Chain of Command card system :)
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:37 pm

My first post on this thread was March 4, 2007. At that time, I had already been using daily punch cards for some time. I'm checking in again today, August 26, 2017. Still using the cards every day. I've tried many different configurations and have a basic threefold division that has been almost constant for much of the last decade. I've used both index cards and journals/notebooks of various kinds. However you use the concept, it remains one of the (if not the most) enduring and effective daily productivity tools in my adult life.

Joel

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:59 am

Joel,

I'm so happy to hear this!

I'm still using them every day, a stable two columns on the front ("life" and "work"), and a continually refined system of hieroglyphs on the back (mostly) for what originally went in the third ("routine") column.

Reinhard