What can I drink?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mshuler61

What can I drink?

Post by mshuler61 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:15 pm

Hello all, new to the site and will start the No-S this coming monday...Just wanted to check on a few beverage ideas...What about Crystal Light and hot cocoa with no added sugar?...I'm not a coffee or tea drinker, and I love diet dr pepper and water, but was wondering if those other drinks were alright?...I guess I could give them up, but only if I really had to...what do you think?

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:08 pm

If they don't have sugar in them, which probably also means they are calorie-free or nearly so, then they are okay. Diet sodas and Crystal Light are fine.

Welcome to No-S!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:20 pm

Technically they are okay, but I totally warn you to stay away from Splenda and Nutrasweet products...
They are totally poisonous to the nervous system and you are way better off drinking plain seltzer, or flavored selzer with some juice added for taste or just having a glass of juice once a day...

You will be doing your sweet taste buds a favor *not* to drink those fake products...

Why not have a regular hot chocolate once a day... There's really only about forty calories difference and you won't be getting hooked on the fake stuff, which is definitely bad for you...
This isn't a huge amount of sugar, as in a candy bar or a slice of cake...
I'd just stick with the real thing and drink loads of healthy water too...

You could also consider drinking healthy smoothies made with fruits and milk, or soy or yogurt...
Soup is also NoS approved if you like warm stuff... Like chicken broth...
I've been drinking chocolate soymilk with my coffee and occasionally, especially during Winter, partake in hot chocolate..
I haven't ever gained weight as a result and I feel I am not deprived if I'm dying for a bit of a pickup.

But the Ben and Jerry's or Coca Cola has to wait for S days... :wink:
Good luck!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:58 pm

Soups and smoothies and hot cocoa...taken between meals, those would be snacks. With meals, they would need to be considered as part of a meal.

mshuler61

What can I drink?

Post by mshuler61 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:00 pm

Thanks...I really don't drink regular sodas, they are too sweet for me...I'm not a tea or coffee drinker either, so hot chocolate, especially in the winter is something I must have...Tried Splenda in the past, but figured that it was just easier and cheaper to use the real stuff, as long as I didn't use too much of it...

Another question, if I have a diet soda during the day or something else to drink during the day (not with a meal) is that considered a snack and therefore off limits?...Thanks...

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:20 pm

Diet soda and Crystal Light, coffee, tea, club soda, water with lemon and/or lime juice in it...these are not snacks. Enjoy! But soups and smoothies are food, so those would be considered snacks. \

How do you make hot cocoa with no added sugar? I have a box of cocoa in the cupboard (not cocoa mix) but haven't figured out how to use it on no-s days.

mshuler61

What can I drink?

Post by mshuler61 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:25 pm

Thanks...that clarifies a lot...I don't make hot cocoa without sugar...Swiss Miss does it for me in the pre-packaged stuff you can buy at any grocery store or Wal-Mart, etc. Thanks a lot!...

peetie

Post by peetie » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:36 pm

Jan, I have the same dilema. I have some pure cocoa powder, but to make it palatable I must add sugar or artificial sweetener. Both have their negatives. I've been reading lately how healthy cocoa is...that cultures that drink lots of it have much less heart disease, but it is so bitter without sweetener.

Let me know if you get any good ideas about this earth shattering problem!

Peetie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:42 pm

You can sprinkle it into your coffee and also you can sprinkle it onto cottage cheese.. Tastes good on peanut butter sandwiches too...

Try it on some prunes!
I bet that would be really yummy....
Prunes and Polyphenols!???

A healthy indugence...
Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:22 pm

Welcome, mshuler61.

I don't have any (diet) rule about drinks except avoid sugar soda completely on N-days. Drinks that aren't primarily added sugar or corn syrup are ok by me whenever. Yes, OJ does have some serious calories, but I have yet to see someone sucking down a 64 ounce big gulp of OJ. Fruit juice tastes like it has a lot of calories, it's hard to drink too much of it. If despite my theorizing you do find it to be a problem for you, then make a rule. But don't preemtively worry about it. I don't drink a lot of fruit juice. Not because of any rule but because I prefer it fresh squeezed -- which is too much work without a meal to justify it.

Peetie, I wouldn't worry too much about not getting enough cocoa. I don't think there's any culture in the world where people had cocoa every single day. Save it for S days, and enjoy it as it deserves to be enjoyed -- with plenty of sugar and a crystal clear conscience.

Reinhard

david

Post by david » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:52 pm

Hi all,

Check out this mention of the Kuna tribe--3 to 4 cups of cocoa a day! It would be interesting to know what the exact recipe is:

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology ... olate.html

thanks,
David

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:47 pm

In Spain and France, hot chocolate is one of the most popular breakfast beverages. Some traditionalists even have it during le gouter/pause gourmande between 3 and 6. I would bet a large population in the bigger cities like Madrid or Paris have it at least once a day either for breakfast or their mini meal between 3 and 6 if they are not having an alchoholic beverage or nibbling on tapas. This is not the case for everyone because many drink small espressos with no milk during the day after their first milky 'caffeinated with something" beverage in the am (lots of mineral water too). Most places even use real bittersweet dark chocolate instead of cocoa powder and it is so thick you can basically stand a churro or piece of baguette it. But, in those cities, the people probably walk an average of 5 miles a day through out the city to get to work, run errands, and play.
The hot cocoa is never as a snack but part of a meal.
For instance, "chocolate con churros" or "chocolat and le tartine" either for breakfast or their midafternoon minimeal. Some even have their hot cocoa with a slice of bread smeared with Nutella (a hazelnut spread made with milk and cocoa). Personally, for me that's an overkill but you never see them eating other forms of junk or snacking incessantly (my downfall for many years).

I know I had a dark chocolate hot cocoa made with dark chocolate cocoa and whole milk for breakfast yesterday with an english muffin with real butter and real strawberry jam. Borderline S, maybe, but I can tell you I did not have one craving before lunch (always do) nor was I dying of hunger for lunch like I am every day. Coincidence, maybe...maybe not :)

Whether you do decide to drink it everyday or save it as an S, the best thing to do is use real cocoa powder and small amounts of real sugar(providing you are not a diabetic) or sensitive to it.
Last edited by 3aday on Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:11 pm

Hey did any of you guys see that great movie "Chocolat" ?

LOL...

One thing I've never tried, but I bet is delicious, is hot chocolate with chili mixed into it...

No matter how you cut it,,,, chocolate is the food of the gods!
LOL...

And, as Reverend Bruce Southhold said in a sermon about it... It's
"Legal, unscheduled and over the counter..."

Also, from the same sermon,, here's the 12 step rule for Chocoholics...

"Never be more than 12 steps away from Chocolate!" LOL..

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:13 pm

Deb...it's my favorite movie in the world!
I love Johnny Depp and chocolate.
What a combination!

mshuler61

What can I drink?

Post by mshuler61 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:09 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments...Started yesterday and fell off the wagon for just a minute...those darn tootsie rolls always bring me down...Only had 2 and went right back to no-S...Thanks Reinhard for your comments on the non-S drinks...That clarifies a lot and makes things easier...Thanks again everyone for your comments...I didn't figure I'd get any responses, so this was great!!!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:39 am

I stand corrected, David and 3aday!

I'll keep cocoa an S for myself just for clarity, and that's how I'll continue to advise the wavering, but I won't wag my finger at those who've decided otherwise.

Reinhard

sporkfancier

More Cocoa Info

Post by sporkfancier » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:08 pm

Some more information for those of you interested in the Kuna Indians and the heart benefits of cocoa:

From: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/ ... age2.shtml
The Kuna let their cocoa roast in the sun, Hollenberg notes. "What the Kuna Indians do is they treat it very gently. Not to retain the flavonoids; that's just the way they do it," he says.
Basically, that means that most commerically available cocoa is no good--the flavanol has been processed right out of it. However, some manufacturers, notably Mars, are producing high-flavanol chocolate snacks.

A high-flavanol Cocoa Recipe:
http://homemakers.ca/homemakers/client/ ... 3&idSM=228
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?