Churning butter variation

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
SilentButDeftly

Churning butter variation

Post by SilentButDeftly » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:28 am

So I've been Shovelgloving for about the past 2 weeks now (at least on this attempt to get into it -- it didn't work out so well in December... bygones.) and I think I'm really starting to get into it now. I had posted a question about Churning Butter here about a month ago but I don't think I made myself clear about my issue -- I'll try and explain it better now:

When I'm Churning Butter (CB from now on for short) I always feel like the hand/arm that's on "top" (gripping the base of the SG) wasn't getting a full workout because the hand/arm on the "bottom" (gripping the shaft of the SG) was helping out too much. So the CB variant that I tried yesterday and today was this: With the "top" arm/hand (base of SG), grip firmly, but with the "bottom" arm/hand, only curl your fingers around the shaft of the SG to guide -- don't provide any lifting help at all for the "top" arm. It's quite the workout for the "top" arm now -- I can really feel it afterwards. Maybe this has been discussed before, maybe it's even the way I should have been CB all along, but I like this new variant. It's really made CB that much more challenging, even if it does make it look that much more masturbatory. :shock:

What do people think?
"I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean, S-M-A-R-T! I am so smart!"

JWL

Post by JWL » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:02 am

Hi Silent,

I do my churning butter movements one-handed most days. This sounds like a similar variation, since one hand is doing most of the work....
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

david

churning butter

Post by david » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Hi all,

I mix the one handed and two handed versions of the churn. Lately, with the two handed version, I've been trying to get my back muscles to do more of the work than my shoulders--almost like a hang clean with a barbell. Either way, churning is one of the tougher movements for me.

Oddly enough, I rarely imagine that I'm using a butter churn--usually it's a mortar and pestle affair and I'm crushing almonds into almond butter--YUM! (No sugar added means it's everyday cool!)

thanks,
David

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:27 pm

You are everyday cool David! LOL..
And Almonds rock!!

PS... Your avatar is neato.. What's the symbol?

Have a nice weekend!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

david

the symbol

Post by david » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:48 pm

Deb,

I ripped the avatar off from symbols.com, so I'll let their explanation stand:

http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/36/367.html

re: Shovelglove--I'm really looking forward to my 14 minutes in the morning!

thanks, and let's all remain as cool as almond butter
:wink:

David

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:28 pm

That is a cool symbol meaning~
(even cooler than almond butter!)

Peace,
8) Deb