Urban Bike Rangers?

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
Scrybil

Urban Bike Rangers?

Post by Scrybil » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:52 am

Is anybody here using a bike as transportation - sort of like the UrbanRanger, only with wheels?
~Scrybil~

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:23 pm

I did today!

I've been lucky enough to work close enough to home to walk my last three jobs (>10 years), but there are days when I have a distant lunch appointment or errands to run on which a bike comes in handy. Bike-rangering is fun as hell -- but I think I'd miss the thinking and audiodidacting time I get while walking if I did it every day.

My daughter also started biking to kindergarten most days and though it's not much trouble for me to keep up with her on foot she likes it when I keep her company on my bike. And at some point I imagine it won't be so easy to keep up on foot. So I imagine there is going to be an increasing amount of bike rangering in my future.

Reinhard

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:39 am

Personally, I love the freedom I feel on the bike - I can actually GET somewhere quickly. And I enjoy the stares of the suburbanites in their big honkin' SUVs trying to figure out why 'that lady is on her bike again'.

I'm adding Urban Rangering to my own "Earth Gym". Rake, don't blow leaves. Use a push mower, not riding. Take stairs, not elevator. Walk/ride, don't drive.

Ernest Callenbach references the Green Triangle. The 3 points are economy, ecology and health. If you do something positive in one area, it enhances the others. For example, biking is frugal, non-polluting and active - the perfect Green Triangle. Walking to work likewise.

Maybe add a 4th point (corner) that is 'intellectual/spiritual'?
~Scrybil~

Graham

Urban Bike Rangers?

Post by Graham » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:56 am

I travel by bike whenever I can. Total journey times are usually shorter than public transport or cars here in London, certainly over journeys up to 10 miles, depending on time of day.

Added bonuses as you say - frugal, ecologically sound, healthful. I'd say "nicer" too but the truth is, some cyclists are as rude, selfish and arrogant as the worst car/taxi/lorry drivers, the best that can be said of them is they are less able to kill other road users.

Downsides do exist - exposure to weather, sweating, vulnerable in an accident - and too little respect for cycle routes from both motorists and pedestrians.

On the other hand, I can travel canal tow-paths, quiet and beautiful green corridors hidden from the world of tarmac and concrete.

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:57 pm

But, at least in the UK, you're not regarding as an strange bird for being on a bike in the first place! I'd agree, however, that too many drivers are rude and obnixious - whether with 4 wheels or 2! I've had near-misses from both varieties.
~Scrybil~

JohnSnow

Post by JohnSnow » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:45 pm

I have a friend (recently become a roommate) who doesn't own a car. He bikes or walks EVERYWHERE.

I used to think he was "odd," but I find myself agreeing with him more and more these days. Now, there's a possibility I'm going to end up with a job where a car is mandatory for my commute (at the beginning at least). Now, partially, that's 'cuz I won't be able to easily relocate (between having a mortgage on the house where I grew up and my where my wife works).

That brings to mind a thought which may be worthy of a new topic...

Graham

Urban Bike Rangers?

Post by Graham » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:11 am

Bikes are great, however,I got a little discouraged the other night. I had a chat to a cyclist with permanent brain-impairement since a hit and run driver left her lying in the the road 2 years ago. Like the sergeant in "Hill Street Blues" used to say: "Let's be careful out there"

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Oh dear Graham - how sad! And scares the hell out of me! I've had some scarey near-misses and find myself on high alert every time I'm on my bike. I just keep reassuring myself with the higher statistics for auto accidents.

Wait! That's not reassuring at all! Heck, I'm staying home!
~Scrybil~

SugarFreebie

Post by SugarFreebie » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:52 pm

Will be starting a mix of recreational and transportation Bike Rangering when the weather warms up. Would prefer to walk but severe pain from ruined feet prevents it; really miss the hiking I used to do. In the meantime I am using a pedaler; can read or watch TV while I crank. So far so good.
Peace out,
Mary S