KRAZYKAT's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:46 pm

Day ONE:- Meal ONE 1/23/06

1 cup grapenuts
1 cup frozen blueberries
sweetner
1 small apple
coffee and milk

I don't have a realtime journal so I guess I will start out doing this as it happens. Is that ok??
:?

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:08 pm

Yes.. plus you can revisit the same post and simply "edit" it if you want to add your info throughout the day, or wish to omit or change what you have written already..

Have a nice week Krazy and good luck!
Peace,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:05 am

Glad you decided to give this a go.

Good luck and have fun :)

C.
CaroleJo

mstevens

Post by mstevens » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:33 am

Good luck!

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:41 pm

Thanks all for your support. How do you "add" pages to your checkin: I see I have TWO posts for KrazyKat, for my checkin now, and "know" there is a way to edit, but not how to but I see others have pages, like 1, 2, 3 wow.
HELP!
Hat :shock:

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:47 pm

The bulletin board will automatically add the pages once you have too many 'replies' to see them all. I don't think it's possible to create pages artificially.

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:57 pm

Krazykat..

Hope you have a nice day..
To edit your own post, you just go to the original post that you wrote, and click the "edit" button at the top right corner..
You should just stay with one of these checkin threads and just keep adding daily posts or whatever, by hitting "reply" and replying on your own thread..

Capish?

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:10 pm

Hi Krazy!
I just got your message..
Actually, you have to look more closely..
It says "quote" on *other* peoples posts or replys, but on the ones you write, yourself, there should be a "quote" *and* "edit" button... Incase you don't like what you wrote or you want to add something...

Otherwise, just keep hitting "reply" when you want to make a new post for the day...

Hope you can figure this out! LOL..
You can try fooling around in the "Test" messages section for people who aren't familiar with posting protocol...
That' just for practice...
Have a nice day!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:19 am

I hope I am doing this right; I did find the EDIT/ and POST in my own message; I am "trying" to reply to my own post but I don't see how it will work yet so if I make a mistake, please clarify for me further!
DAY 2:
Breakfast:
1 1/4 cup shredded wheat with sweetner,
cinnamon,
2 tb. raisins,
1 cup soy milk
coffee

LUNCH:
pork tenderloin 4 oz
1/2 cup saurkraut
1 cup green beans
2/3 cup german potato salad

Dinner:
Tilapia over spinach with a light sour cream/mayo/parmesan topping
stewed tomatoes
small apple
milk (cup)

Also, treadmill for 35, 3% grade, 3.5 mph and stretch after. WATER!!
SUCCESSFUL!

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:49 am

looks like you're off to a good start - NoS and bulletin board wise!

:D

C.
CaroleJo

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:59 am

DAY 2: Jan. 25: SUCCESSFUL!

1/2 c oatmeal, two tbs. craisins, cinnamon,
cup SOY milk
sweetner

LUNCH:
fish and spinach
carrot sticks
water

DINNER
chicken in mushroom sauce with extra mushrooms
1/2 c coucous
roasted zucchini with parmesan and olive oil
EXERCISE: 15 on elliptical, 15 on tread, upper body one set

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:46 pm

What recipe do you use for German potato salad? I make mine Swabian style with chicken stock, white wine vinegar, salt & pepper and a little onion. I also boil the potatoes whole in their skins, then peel and slice them when cooked. I like it best when it's served just above room temperature, freshly made... *drool*

C.
CaroleJo

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:59 pm

CaroleJo
I have NEVER made German Potato salad; I buy it canned! While I have a professional background in cooking, I do not have a lot of time on my hands for it, so I do take shortcuts with no guilt whatsoever. :))))

It is interesting to me to hear of a recipe for it and the chicken stock sounds interesting too; what do you put in your chicken stock?

Take care!
Kat

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:43 pm

Usually I just cheat and use ready-made chicken stock from the store (like you, I don't have all day to prepare it. I second what you say about shortcuts! :lol: ). When I have had roast chicken for dinner though and the bones are left over, I boil these with a little salt & pepper, some thyme and sage and sometimes some onion or carrot, for several hours.

I could send you the recipe, but I'd have to translate it and write it out, as it's in German of course! I lived in Ulm for a year or so and picked it up then.

C.
CaroleJo

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:00 pm

CaroleJo:
I hearya! I do take my turkey carcasses and toss them into the crockpot all night to make my broth which I then either use some of or freeze. I pretty much use the same thing you do for seasoning; love grabbing that fresh sage, thyme and rosemary and throwingit in there; I stuff my turkey with it too; I don't have much of any of those right now, tho; too dang cold.

Can't wait for spring. If I had the money I would have a greenhouse! :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:58 pm

KrazyKat, your food sounds GOOD!!!

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:13 am

you got me thinking about that potato salad, so I made some last night. Here's the recipe by the way.

2 portions as a main dish or 4 portions as a side dish:-
Take about 4 medium sized potatoes, rinse them but leave the skins on. place them whole in a pan and cover with water. Boil until firm, but cooked (about 20 minutes, depending on size and type of potato).

Drain them. Set them to one side for a few minutes, whilst you finely chop 1 small onion. Place the onion in your serving dish (it needs to be big enough to hold the whole potatoes without them peeking over the top).

Pour about a tablespoon's worth of white wine vinegar over the onion. make up about 1/2 pint of chicken stock, and add this to the onion in your serving dish too. The stock wants to be HOT.

Now take the potatoes and gently remove the skins. Careful, they will be quite warm! Slice the peeled potato into slices about a quarter of an inch thick. Drop the potato slices into the stock / vinegar & onion mixture. Let each one be covered by it.

Once all the potatoes have been added, stir them around a bit. It doesn't matter if the slices break up some. The end result should be moist and juicy, and oddly creamy for something that contains such little fat. If need be, add a little more vinegar and stock. Taste and season with a little salt and pepper to taste. Serve the potato salad freshly made, just above room temperature with some green salad (cucumber in dill and yoghurt dressing goes very well), grated raw carrot vinegrette is also good and colourful too, and some smoked meats. The potato salad can also be cooled, stored in a fridge and eaten cold if you prefer it that way.

I've even got leftover potato salad for lunch today. YUM.
C.
CaroleJo

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:50 pm

SUCCESSFUL!
Day 3:
Breakfast:
Oatmeal, craisins (2 tbs) cinnamon, soy milk (1 cup) sweetner, 1/3 cup cottage cheese mixed in
coffee, milk

Lunch:

3 0z pork loin, 1/2 cup green beans, 1 cup german potato salad, 1 c milk

Dinner:
4 oz chick breast with mushroom gravy over 1 c couscous with roasted zucchini (1/4c) and 1/2 cup Kale, orange

:wink:

KrazyKat

German Potato Salad

Post by KrazyKat » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:52 pm

Wow, this is a very different recipe than I am used to: I believe the potato salad my mom would make and that we get here in the USA has sugar and bacon in it....so it is sweet and sour. I may try these out; the dressings you recommmend sound very interesting and certainly add a different dimension to the dish. Thanks so much for sharing!
Have a great day.
:)

KrazyKat

German Potato Salad

Post by KrazyKat » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:11 pm

Carolejo;
Also wanted to comment on this again; we eat the german pot. salad warm or cold; depends on the dish but mostly warm.

Your recipe sounds more like what I make for a Nicoise salad, where I marinate the potatoes, and green beans except it has stock in it, which creates that creamy base, I would imagine. Hmmmmmm very interesting.
Gave me some new ideas!
Thanks!
Do you like Salad Nicoise?
It is easy to make and makes a full meal salad; that reminds me: my boys have been asking for it. Maybe Iwill make it today!
Kat :!:

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:07 pm

Oooh yes. Salad Nicoise is also very tasty, although my husband is pathologically and illogically opposed to anything 'fishy' so I don't often make it or get to eat it these days. :lol:

C.
CaroleJo

KrazyKat

Salade Nicoise

Post by KrazyKat » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:10 pm

Carolejo:
Does he not even like shrimp or scallops? I LOVE seafood; so expensive, tho; have to keep an eye out for deals. Have not seen the great deals lately on whole salmon for 1.99 a lb. for some time now, though; I get the whole fish then and fillet it or combo steak-cut/fillet, portion and freeze. I never use salmon in that dish, though....mostly I use canned tuna.
How bout you?
Kat

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:23 pm

yeah, canned tuna - the kind in oil :twisted: and usually a few anchovies too.

Shrimps? Scallops...? In the same room as the Boy Steve...? You're kidding, right?! :lol: Nope, he won't touch them with somebody else's bargepole even.

It's not such a hardship really, we eat out a lot so I often get my fishy fix then.

C.
CaroleJo

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:33 pm

SUCCESS!

DAY 4:
Breakfast:
two eggs tbs romano cheese grated, peanut butter toast orange juice 1cu

LUNCH:
Indian Lentil Curry Soup with Kale, orange, handful pistachio nuts, fresh orange (med.size)

DINNER:
Sirloin tip Stirfry with savoy cabbage, carrots, scallions, and Kale served over 1/2 cup brown rice
Glass water
NO Exercise today!

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:54 pm

DAY 5: Jan 28th
S day
but pretty much stuck to three meals; did have some honey flavored peanuts and about 1/2 cup so that is a hefty snack!
No seconds or sweets a such.

Back on today

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:11 am

Day 6:
SUCCESS!
1 1/4 c shredded wheat /cinnamon/sweetner
1 cup milk
orange
coffee with milk

LUNCH:
coucous with chicken in mushroom sauce (3 oz)
fresh broccoli/zucchini (1/2)
orange

Dinner:
Mac and cheese 1 cup
Spiral sliced ham 3oz
baked apple slices with cinnamon
FORGOT to mention; 32 minutes aerobics; between treadmill /bike, and two sets of upper body work.
salad with lowfat ranch dressing
Last edited by KrazyKat on Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:45 am

Hey Krazy,

Welcome to page 2! :D

C.
CaroleJo

KrazyKat

Page TWO?

Post by KrazyKat » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:30 am

Carolejo:
Just checking out the email notice of a reply; this I got to see; Will be in later today and see what it looks like at the Discussion Home/Daily CheckIn area!
Yahoooooooo!
and thanks for the welcome.
Kat

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:39 am

Day 7: Jan. 30

ALLMOST a perfect day! Gave into some tortilla chips after supper but kept it to a one serving size instead of just mowing em down!

So to me, I think overall, a successful day
Had two eggs with 2 oz ham slices omelette, english muffin with two tsp Olivio, and a small grape cluster with coffee and milk.

Lunch;
4 oz pork loin with coucous and mushroom gravy (abt 2 tbs.), medium orange

Dinner: Mushroom soup with added mushrooms/white wine, rye toast, and med. orange......
then that handful of tortilla chips!
No exercise today; sore from yesterday;

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:45 pm

JAN 31: DAY 8:
SUCCESS!

oatmeal with sliced baked apples, sweetner, milk
papaya on side
coffee milk

Lunch:
1/2 sandwich turkey pastrami on whole wheat with lite mayo, lots of leaf lettuce, pickles and purple onion
more papaya!

Dinner:
Eggplant parmesan (breaded and BAKED before putting into casserole)
Leaf Lettuce salad with ranch
handful tortilla chips
more papaya!

This is a big dang papaya; can't remember the name of it; never had it before; huge green thing and was on sale.....not a lot of flavor OR sugar in it really, so filling tho.
Kat

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:04 pm

Sounding good Krazy!
Good work on not "mowing down" the whole bag of chips the other day!
I think you were eating a very unripe papaya, if it was green and not sweet! LOL...

I love papaya when it's ripe and has fresh lime juice squeezed onto it...
That is an amazing combo..
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

KrazyKat

Papaya

Post by KrazyKat » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:28 am

Deb;
OOPs I meant that it is a type of papaya that is huge and green on the OUTside; inside, it is very peachy orange and it IS ripe; just does not have a lot of flavor compared to mangos, say. I might try lime on it; that sounds great.
Thanks for the suggestion! AND the support
Kat

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:34 am

DAY 9; Feb. 1: SUCCESS!

Breakfast:
1/2 cup Kashi GoLean with 3/4 cup shredded wheat bites topped with cinnmon and papaya (2/3 cup) and 1 cup milk
coffee and milk

Lunch:
whole wheat english muffin with 2 oz Turkey Pastrami, leaf lettuce, pickles, onions, hot mustard and two tsp mayo
hand ful of grapes
handful of tortilla chips
glass of milk (1 cup)

Dinner:
Eggplant Parmesan
veggies and low fat ranch dip; sugar snap, carrots, celery, zucchini, some olives both black and green.
glass of milk
green tea and sweetner

40 minutes urban ranger a.m.
20 min. elliptical stairs p.m., upper body work, two sets, 15 reps
TOMORROW is another DAY!
:wink:

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:17 am

Day 10; FEB 2
SUCCESS!

Breakfast: 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean, 3/4 cup shredded wheat, 2/3 cup papaya, cinnamon, 1 cup milk, sweetner, coffee and milk

Lunch: hard boiled egg, string cheese stick, trail mix (1/4 cup) made with Kashi cereal, craisins and walnuts, celery/carrot sticks, water

Dinner: Salade Nicoise made with low cal Italian dressing marinade, pistachio nuts; 1/4 cup, coffe and milk, green tea herb tea mix PM

No exercise

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:39 pm

FRI, FEB. 3:
S-Day!
Since I was going out, and it fell through, I thought what the hey. I had 3 glasses of wine!!! one with supper and two with tortilla chips and salsa; a triple serving of tortillas!

However, the early part of my day I did very well;
BREAKFAST
Oatmeal, with light yougurt and papaya (one serving of each: 1/2 cup dry, 1 cup yogurt, 2/3 cup papaya, and coffee.

LUNCH
I had 1 cup leftover steak stirfry with 1/2 cup brown rice

Today, Sat, is another DAY!
and I expect I will be at the gym again; seems I get there every two days :)

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:14 am

SAT: Feb.4
SUCCESS!
odd meals, but meals nevertheless!

Am coming down with a respiratory infection tho so did not get to exercise as had wanted to!

Freezing and snow here as well.

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:16 am

SUNDAY Feb 5th

SUCCESS but NO exercise :cry:
Respiratory infection worse today; lots of coughing and drainage.
But had a healthy three meal day.
Hours were off some; did not eat breakfast til after eleven
Ate lunch at 4
Ate dinner at 7:30.
Bedtime!!!!!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:40 am

Feel better Krazy Kat!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:31 pm

Deb:
Thanks for your support! Hanging in there!
Kat

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:01 am

February 6th, MONDAY
SUCCESS!
But no exercise; still sick with respiratory infection; hopefully I will feel better tomorrow and get to gym if it is too cold to walk.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:24 pm

Try this yummy and healthy hot version of lemonade...
It's good for stimulating your Lung's chi...

10 ozs of hot water
2 tablespoons fresh organic lemon juice
2 tablespoons sugar or maple syrup
a dash, not a lot, of ground cayenne pepper...

This tastes good hot or cold and the cayenne really warms the lungs up and stimulates them and helps to clear the sinuses too..

Hope you get better soon~
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:43 pm

DEB!
Thank you kindly for your recipe! That reminds me of one I got for chicken soup too! This respiratory/throat infection got worse overnight so I think it is time to get the stuff to make these things with!

Have you ever heard of the recipe for "Dr. Ziment's Chicken Soup"? Boy that will knock your socks off; and it can be poured into baggies as servings and frozen up til needed.....prob three month life span is best and I should have stocked on that come winter. ha.

Thanks again; if you want that Chicken soup recipe let me know!
Have a great day!
Kat

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:49 pm

When you feel better, sure!
Meanwhile, I'm pretty fond of Dr. Debs Chicken Soup...
This usually has about five chopped onions and a whole head of chopped garlic... Plus tons of greens!

Yum!!!

Oh yeah... While your out shopping, get some garlic too and eat a bit of it every day, raw...
I like putting it on bread with some butter to take the hot and spicey edge off a bit... Garlic is a seriously powerful antiviral and antibacterial agent..

Get some rest and hope you like the hot lemonade...
See if you can buy some organic lemons as they just taste so much better, besides being healthier too...
Go vitamin C!
Peace,
8) Deb

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:05 am

Weds. Feb. 8th
FAILURE!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAACKKKKKKKKKKKK! gave in to sweets, so here we go again.

Still sick too; feeling sorry for self??? not really; just wanted chocolate.
Problem is, if I eat one, I will have MORE>
so I really really have to follow the no sweets part...

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:06 am

THURS. FEB 9th
FAILURE ENCORE! Same reason; I think being sick does not help. Time to start over.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:12 am

Sick days are S days...
You didn't fail....

Resume your normal count when you aren't sick!
Feel better soon Krayz!

Good night!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb