starting today-help!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

nina

starting today-help!

Post by nina » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:20 pm

hello anyone, i stumbled upon this site as i was walking out the door, i was looking for a list of the weightwatchers 'no count' foods on my way to the supermarket and four hours later i am still here excited at the idea of starting No-S and not actually needing to go to the supermarket anymore.
i think i can do this, god knows i have tried everything!
my story: two years ago i was a size 10 (uk) 19 year old which i achieved by contracting many a digestive desease from working in ghana and sri lanka for the previous three years.
since stopping working abroad and starting sittting in a classroom all day long i have ballooned and gone up three dress sizes. today i am sitting infront of my computer wearing my boyfriends jeans. i cant fit into two tops that he bought me for christmas and i feel ugly. i know i am not really really overweight but i am geeting bigger on a daily basis. the jeans i bought in october dont fit me anymore!
i want to lose weight so badly. i bought the JORDAN fitness DVD god help and tried the liquidised diet for about a day before wanting to chunder everytime i saw the juicer.
so here goes im ready, any advice??
nina xx

KrazyKat

Post by KrazyKat » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:38 pm

Nina;
Good for you! Starting young! I just started yesterday myself, and I know tons about nutrition, etc etc etc. And so I too, was excited when I saw this site; no nonsense, very simple and I am sure it will work for anyone who works it.

I am not going to offer advice; I think the layout of the NO S diet says it all and very simply. The rest is up to US! I WILL offer lots of encouragement to you and I still have things I need to learn hwo to do here like editing, so I can change or add to my daily listing, since I do not keep a journal. I do think keeping a hardcopy journal is probably smart for someone like me because I tend to eat when I get anxious and that, being a mindless and automatic thing, is easily forgotten!

WELCOME and keep in touch!
Kat

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:07 pm

Hi Nina and KrazyKat, and welcome to No-S! This is the most sensible eating plan I've ever tried. If you find it difficult in the beginning, just try to be really strict with yourself and after a while you will find that the No-S habit is formed and it just goes along almost effortlessly.

Patience, persistence, and enthusiasm will carry you all the way to success!

I hope you will post often!
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:43 pm

Hi Nina! You may be a bit brainwashed by Weight Watchers, but you can wean yourself off thinking that point counting is a way of life..
(It's not!)

NoS will not make you blow chunder!!!!
LOL..

You will love it.. I have gone down about three sizes in about 14 months here... I have taken a while, but my gaining trend totally reversed and I'm not going back to it either!!!
In one bad year I had gained around forty or fifty pounds... I'm currently about 25 down from that, but my muscle tone has changed a lot since I began Yoga last Summer... So I'm actually looking like I lost thirty five or forty pounds.. I'll be posting my "before" photo and some current ones which I just took today, fooling around in my living room..
When you need a friend NoS is always dependable, and you will never regret trying it, and won't want to do any other stupid plan...

Sorry you had such an ordeal with your health before..

What brought you to Ghana and Sri Lanka? Are you a missionary or in the Peace Corps???
Best of Health to you and good luck!!!

Post whenever necessary...

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

kcin49

Post by kcin49 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:36 am

Good luck Nina. I'm on day 17 and going well. This really is a great way to diet. I've tried them all including WW and had a consult with Jenny Craig at one stage but couldn't afford it or couldn't cope with all that crappy food they try to make you buy. This is a sensible way to do it. I'm determined to stick with it. And the support from this site is great. Persevere!
NikC