Rambling about walking...

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
andreamuse

Rambling about walking...

Post by andreamuse » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:09 pm

I used to be a runner, but I kept hurting my knee/shins. Part of me still really wants to run a marathon at some point, but it's walking that really makes me feel great inside and out.

I do find it a lot harder if the weather isn't ideal. Believe me, I would walk all day if it was about 70 and breezy, but now we're having 90 percent humidity and storms and miserable sweaty heat.

But walking? When I walk alone, I brainstorm, I meditate, I listen to whole albums on my ipod, sometimes I don't listen to anything, but force myself to listen to my own thoughts. It's better than medication or alcohol for making me feel calm after work. When walking with someone, we can have truly in depth conversations during which we are both paying full attention.

Last year I didn't have a car at all, and so I really was forced to walk a lot more. That got old when I started a new job and I had to schlep a lot of stuff to and from in the pouring rain. So in the end, I gave in and got a car. But I do love walking to as many places as possible. I am very centrally located in my city now, which makes it easier than usual and a lot of people walk in my neighborhood.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:39 pm

Part of me still really wants to run a marathon at some point,
I'm actually considering this myself...

Isn't it odd that the most renowned sporting event of the Greeks, who were so into moderation, is the profoundly un-moderate marathon?

It can't be mere inconsistency -- there must be some deep reason for it.

Code: Select all

When I walk alone, I brainstorm, I meditate

Code: Select all

It's better than medication or alcohol for making me feel calm 
When walking with someone, we can have truly in depth conversations during which we are both paying full attention.
I've often commented here on the psychological benefits of walking, but you're so right about the social benefits as well.

Reinhard

JohnSnow

Post by JohnSnow » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:35 pm

reinhard wrote:Isn't it odd that the most renowned sporting event of the Greeks, who were so into moderation, is the profoundly un-moderate marathon?

It can't be mere inconsistency -- there must be some deep reason for it.
I'm disappointed Reinhard - the answer lies in the history.

The modern "marathon" is based on the legendary accomplishment of a messenger during the Battle of Marathon (490 B.C.). It wasn't part of the Olympic games until the first Modern olympics (1896). Which means the un-moderate marathon as a sporting event wasn't invented by the very moderate Ancient Greeks - thus no conundrum exists.

That's not to say that the ancient Greeks were strangers to long-distance running, but they used it to deliver messages (like during the Battle of Marathon). And the distances and speeds the runners travelled were not so different from those done in a forced march. However, when carrying minimal gear, you can go a bit faster - and they did.

There isn't a huge difference between true long-distance running and walking. Mostly, it's just degree and a SLIGHT increase in speed.

OF course, compared to ultra-running, the marathon IS moderate. Although, if you recall, in the Lord of the Rings, Strider runs ~135 miles in 3 days. Which sounds more like something ultrarunner Scott Jurek would do.

andreamuse

Post by andreamuse » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:47 pm

And Strider probably hardly ever had sweets, seconds, or snacks! :)

I have had a love-hate relationship with running since I was 10 and my dad was into serial 10K racing and I started to join him in running (I did 1-mile fun runs at the time). Love the endorphins from running, love the challenge, but have had multiple injuries and laziness issues. But I've always loved walking. My idea of an ideal social activity with friends (and my husband) is a super long walk followed by a good meal!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:01 pm

The modern "marathon" is based on the legendary accomplishment of a messenger during the Battle of Marathon (490 B.C.). It wasn't part of the Olympic games until the first Modern olympics (1896). Which means the un-moderate marathon as a sporting event wasn't invented by the very moderate Ancient Greeks - thus no conundrum exists.
I've always wondered how a rational people like the Greeks would create a sporting event inspired by an incident that ended with the first participant dropping dead -- they didn't!

Thank you for enlightening me!

Reinhard

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:09 am

Historically, most ancient people probably had to be extremely fit to get around. When Phidippides ran the "first" 26 miles, and then dropped dead, he might have very well suffered from a congenital problem. Greeks, known for the "middle road", probably used runners as means of communication like many cultures did. Phidippides was just unlucky enough to have dropped dead after his jaunt. Had he lived, many of us would never have thought of running 26 miles. Which may not be such a bad thing. :shock:
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79