One month in and tired muscles

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Cornucopian

One month in and tired muscles

Post by Cornucopian » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:08 pm

I've been Shugging for one month so far. I haven't lifted weights in many, many years. I can feel my muscles responding. During the past month, I've noticed the sledgehammer getting lighter and I've noticed I have better control.

But during the day, (even S days) my muscles feel fatigued and seem to tire very quickly. More strength but less endurance. Anyone else experience this?

derekes

give it time

Post by derekes » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:18 am

I started with a 10 pound hammer about 3 months ago. I remember this feeling the first 4-6 weeks the day after. Tuesday night was the worst.

Now I don't feel much of any soreness/fatigue the next day. I'm eyeing a 16 pounder at the local hardware store and it may be time to move up. I expect I'll feel the same when I move up in weight again.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:25 pm

There have been times (particularly at the end of the week) where I feel beat, but I don't think quite what you describe. In general I feel like I have both much more strength and more endurance since I started practicing shovelglove.

Maybe you're overworking yourself? Try easing up a bit, particularly as the week goes on. I do my heavy routines (up to 42 reps of certain movements) Monday and Tuesday, go lighter on Wednesday and Thursday ("routine of sevens"), and freestyle (usually not too killer) on Friday.

Best of luck figuring this out and getting past it,

Reinhard

ZTor

Post by ZTor » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:27 am

Are you getting enough protein in your diet?
I started drinking whey shakes right after workout, and muscle pain and fatigue went away.