ZippaDee Do Da Days...

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 am

I second what Oolala says - you're going to do it! :D

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:15 pm

auto said:
Anyone with a Tigger Avatar will always be enthusiastically encouraged by me!

:lol: :lol: Who doesn't love Tigger? Thanks for the encouragement!

Thanks for the well wishes Bluebell! They are very much appreciated!

Oolala said:
I believe you are one of the ones who are going to beat the odds. Look forward to realizing next January that you have a decent year under your belt-rather than something else.
Yes! Thank you!! I AM going to do it! Thank you for believing in me!....and you too Amy! And, I am realizing that failure to change overeating is the norm. It is simple, but oh so HARD!! My weight watcher meeting that I have attended on and off over the years is filled with many of the same familiar faces that have beeen caught in the same vicious cycle as I have. I AM going to beat the odds and stop the insanity!

Yesterday was GREEN! :mrgreen: I am on my way one day at a time!

ONWARD >>>
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:46 pm

Here for a check in. 2018 is off to a good start. I started on Jan. 8, so tomorrow will be day 21. I have had no red days during that time. Not worried about wild S day yet. Just focusing on staying green on N days.

Things I have noticed....
* The pull to stop for hot cocoa before work has drastically decreased!...SO much easier than the first week!
* It is getting easier to sit through a basketball game without popcorn.
* The hours after work before dinner are getting easier as well. I keep telling myself that every time I stay strong I am building my good habit muscles!
*I am realizing that I can be satisfied...maybe even feel better with less food on my plate. Last night we went out to eat before a basketball game. I ordered a chicken wrap and ate only half and was very comfortable and satisfied! I would have been over full if I had eaten the other half.

I have been reading the No S book again. This quote from the book stood out to me this week:
Don't let the complicated perfect be the enemy of the simple good enough
I have a history of perfectionism. It is something I learned in childhood. I think those tendencies are one of the reasons this weight loss journey has been such a struggle for me. The idea that if I can't "be perfect" forget it! I know this is wrong thinking and I am working on it!

I did cancel my membership to weight watchers. It was a difficult thing to do! Hard to explain why?! My actual membership does not expire until Feb. So, I still do get on the ww app occasionally. Baby steps. I actually feel accomplished to still be here on Jan. 27!! And, I WILL be here on Jan.27, 2019!

Hubby is still hanging in there with me. YAHOO!! So much easier when we are on the same page....and neither of us is eating popcorn at the basketball game! :lol:

ONWARD>>
Last edited by ZippaDee on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:56 pm

And, btw....it is nice to be able to go out to a restaurant for a meal without having a total meltdown in my head because I don't know how many points are in anything!! That takes the fun out of the whole experience in my opinion!!

Diets Don't Work.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:26 pm

Not just your opinion. You don't need to know how many points are in anything. You'll figure out with a fair amount of practice over time what was too much about two hours after the meal. Unless you try to take a shortcut.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:57 am

ZippaDee, I second what you said about not having to count points! Every SAD is mentally taxing. I'm always amazed at how much free space I have in my head once I stick to straight vanilla. Even mods seem to drain my energy too much. They work for a time, yes... but are not sustainable in the long run.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:07 pm

Month One Update:

I've had a good first month. As of Feb. 8th I have been at this a month. So far, so good. I am feeling at peace.....hmmmm??....like it is not an "emergency" that I get this down perfectly right NOW! It is a process and it will take time and that is ok. That feeling is very freeing! I am a natural perfectionist, so this is HUGE!

I have deleted all of my facebook ww groups. I am no longer a member of weight watchers. I no longer have access to "connect", which is the weight watchers online community. And, what has all of this meant to me?....FREEDOM! Freedom in my head!! More space in my head for LIFE! Ahhhhh! What a relief!

Just because this way of eating is freeing and simple does not mean that it is easy. I have struggled this past week. I spent several days away from home with my sister. My sister is my best friend. The reason I was away with her is because she made the decision to undergo a surgery....the gastric sleeve. I voiced my concerns during her decision making process. I told her though that once she made a decision that I would support her no matter what. So, I am there for her! It has been difficult watching her in pain and unable to eat. :( With all of that going on and my topsy turvy schedule....and being away from home, which is stressful for me...and Valentines Day, etc. etc. I found myself with several red days this week. It's ok. I am learning from them. Really...NO MATTER WHAT is happening in life I can still abide by the simple rules of NO S....I just have to DO IT! I will get there!

One thing I am still struggling with....How to Say "No Thank You" when someone has specifically made you or is offering you a special treat. Ugh. Sometimes that is really tough! For Example, a 1st grade student brings you a treat that she has had her mother make especially for you because she knows you love it. Or when my Dad offers me something special....it is how he shows his love and he is super sensitive and would be hurt if I don't partake. sigh... I need to figure out these situations.

Lots of things are much easier than they were at first
bypassing hot chocolate in the mornings
bypassing popcorn at basketball games
not snacking between lunch and supper

As a bonus I have lost 7.2 lbs this first month.

ONWARD :arrow: :arrow:

Diets Don't Work.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:54 pm

I had started a response but accidentally closed the page before I finished. Suffice it to say I think your changes are great and moving along wonderfully. I think when people want all the problems over in 12 weeks like so many body transformation programs promise, they give up too soon.

I read something in Stephen Guyenet's exhaustive book on the brain's role in overeating and obesity about how research is now showing that weight loss surgery has come a long way and actually brings about metabolic changes that for the very obese are often better than for those people who diet and exercise. Sure there are problems, but so are there with weighing a hundred pounds more than "normal!" One of the disappointments for the patients is that they can rarely get as slim as they dream. It's just as hard for them to lose beyond the projected loss (from stats) as for anyone. But the body does appear to actually accept a new set point, which is not typical and which is often responsible for creating a drive to refeed for dieters who lower calories a lot by just about any means. Oh, I'm telling too much. And are there exceptions to that? YES! Always! But exceptions are just that: a very small minority and very hard to replicate.
Onwards!
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... s-lap-band
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:56 am

Hi ZippaDee Tigger!

Keep Bouncing, Girl!

You are a great sister for loving her despite the inner turmoil (on so many levels) that her decision brought you. Good job!

I just felt my heart kind of twist when I read your entry. Your sister is lucky to have you!

Congrats on your downward weight trend.

Regarding the "tough situations", I think sometimes people with great empathy (like you), or may I be so bold/teasing -- codependent (is this you? not sure but many of us are!!) -- find it harder to say no. I'll tell you what has worked for me: they WILL NOT remember later if we said no. They won't dwell on it near as much as we did!!! (Honestly if they do they have their own junk to deal with). Here's what I would do: "Thank you, Amazing FIRST GRADER! I am so excited to eat this!!!!! I always eat my sweets on the weekends, and this will be the FIRST one I try!!!!" I actually use this method with my 8-year old. Father: Thank you Dad!! You are the best dad ever!! I can't wait to try this!" And then I'd leave it at that. If he pressured, he'd get the same treatment I gave to the little one -- "Dad, I will have this FIRST thing on my S Day! Yay!"

OK, I sound a bit cold writing all that. But I guess I've just conditioned my brain to think that those people don't have to live in my body. Their own needs are momentary; I have to live long-term with my body. For less intense situations (you did give two really hard situations!) I just tell myself nobody cares. I'm making this a big deal in my mind, but no one else gives a flying flip what I ate.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Oolala...Thanks so much for your constant encouragement! You are a wonderful cheer leader! :D

I know that there are many positives associated with the bariatric surgeries. My sister has obviously researched it WAY more than I have! My concerns about it I think are just the normal concerns that you would have for someone that you love (although I would never choose it for myself either!).....you can never go back! It is a permanent thing. If you have complications you are stuck with them for life! We really don't know what this means long term because it is a fairly new procedure (the sleeve). Why mess with something that is not broken. I'll stop there now because my concerns are obviously a mute point now since she opted to do it. I just hope and pray that all goes smoothly for her and she sees the results that she desires!

Auto....thanks so much for your encouragement as well! It means so much!

Auto said:
But I guess I've just conditioned my brain to think that those people don't have to live in my body. Their own needs are momentary; I have to live long-term with my body. For less intense situations (you did give two really hard situations!) I just tell myself nobody cares. I'm making this a big deal in my mind, but no one else gives a flying flip what I ate.
Thanks and YES! I need to get myself to this point! I need to condition my brain. Conditioning is all about practicing right? I am sure I will have many opportunities to practice. Ha!

I have never considered the "codependent" thing?? I will have to research this more and consider it. I am a very empathetic person though....yes!

Thanks Ladies!
ONWARD :arrow:

Diets Don't Work.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:38 pm

This! The time has come for me to begin Chapter V don't ya think? The chapter where I never fall in the Weight Watcher hole again. The chapter where I fully commit to NoS. Ironically I got this autobiography from the Weight Watcher's connect board. :shock: The struggle is real. I DO need a WW recovery program as someone here suggested!

Diets Don't Work.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:58 pm

This poem was included in some practice test materials we used several years ago. It can be applied to MULTIPLE human situations. We are all still not walking down another street somewhere in our lives. Okay, I'm not. Still falling in the hole. :(

Maybe we should have a special thread for people trying to "kick" WW. A WW Anon thread. Wouldn't even matter if you did Vanilla. You'd just post each day as failure or success based on whether you counted your calories/points or not :wink:

I think I'll cross post that suggestion on the No S vs. WW thread on the general discussion board.
Last edited by oolala53 on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:37 am

Oolala, I love the idea of a thread for accountability on kicking WW out the door!! I NEED that!! I am ready to fully commit! I know I have said this multiple times before, but as my blurb says....my location is "the no quit zone". It takes as many tries as it takes right?

In the past I have picked a word of the year. I did not pick one for this year for some reason. I'm not sure exactly why. My word I am focusing on for this journey is......

....SUSTAINABILITY!! Sustainability is the ability to continue a defined behavior indefinitely.

I have decided that I will only focus on habits that I feel meet the definition of sustainability. So, before I put in the effort to build a habit I need to believe in my heart that the habit (once developed) is one that I will be able to continue indefinitely (for the rest of my life!). It has to be something that I truly believe can be a part of a new and permanent lifestyle change.

This does not mean that a sustainable habit will be easy to develop! Simple and sustainable, but not easy!

I have learned from my many past experiences that counting, measuring and weighing every morsel that goes into my mouth is not a sustainable lifestyle change FOR ME....even though weight watchers preaches that it is. My 24 years of back and forth experience with weight watchers tells me that it is not. I am hoping that BECAUSE of my past experiences with it that it will prompt me to finally stick with No S for the long haul this time!!!

Diets Don't Work.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:51 am

I am going to start counting days on NoS.

Today is day 1 and it is GREEN!!.

Finally!! I know it will get easier! I needed to get this one under my belt!

Diets Don't Work.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:35 am

Day 2 GREEN :mrgreen:

Thoughts for the day:
*Habit focused not weight focused
*Only focus on the habits that I am willing to do forever to maintain the weight that I end up at.
*Quit Thinking and Researching and start DOING.
*If you want something different you must do something different
*No finish line
*90% mental....focus on getting my head straight
*Work on finding my WHY
*I am not perfect!
*Must develop self trust! To do this....my plan must be realistic and doable.

Diets Don't Work.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:50 am

Well done on your green day's :)

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:29 am

Thanks soprano!!

Day 3 is GREEN :mrgreen:

Off to bed.

ONWARD :arrow:

Diets Don't Work.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:50 am

Day 4.....GREEN! :mrgreen:

My son brought home some fresh cherries from the store after dinner. One of my favorites! I really wanted some. (And on ww they are free...its gonna take a good long while to get ww out of this head). But, I decided that this is all about the habit!! I.cant wait til I can have some.cherries.for brealfast!

We have been painting the outside of our house. As I was painting this morning I was thinking of perfectionism and how this kind of thinking can sabotage our efforts on this journey. I am most definitely NOT a perfect painter. There are definitely mess ups, but when I stand back and look at the freshly painted finished product the improvement is amazing. We will have mess ups on this journey, but in the end our improvements will be amazing...and I'm not just talkin' the number on the scale!

Onward>>

Diets Don't Work.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:22 am

Love your analogy :)

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:04 am

Thanks Soprano!! We are painting our house red with white trim black roof. It looks sharp! Painting around windows tonight my perfectionism and frustration was kicking in!! :lol:

Day 5 GREEN! :mrgreen:

Today was a bit harder. I wasn't feeling the best. I did the grocery shopping Idk, I just wanted to eat, but I did NOT! Building up my "stick to it" muscles!! I was not hungry....just bad habits! I know these days will happen, but as long as I fight it.....I will improve! :D

Diets Don't Work.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:57 am

Keep up the fight and one day you will find it isn't anymore :)

Went out for a meal with my sister last night. She's been losing weight with a traditional diet club and just got to goal. She said I had three fairy cakes today someone brought them in to the office and I just needed them. It struck me how typical of someone dieting that is. I tried to gently point out the downside of not learning moderation. Time will tell if this has worked long term for her.

Its the habits that will help you maintain. Plus side for me I didn't even want dessert!

Jx

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:18 pm

The make cakes out of fairies? :wink:

I looked up what they are. It just said they are smaller than American cupcakes and have way less frosting, which is not made with much or even any fat. I'm not sure I wouldn't eat three of them...:shock:

When anyone is doing any kind of diet, I just listen and think, "Talk to me in two years."

It is so true that whatever eating routine people end up with, it has to be one that they think gives them enough pleasure for the result. If they talk like they're always holding back or looking longingly at that big plate of ribs and French fries (crisps?), etc., the odds go down that they'll keep any lost weight off.

When I hear of someone counting and recording calories after a few years, I often think, "Don't you have a good idea about what calorie content is of at least certain meals? Don't you eat the some of same things often enough that you know how much will be about the right amount? Do you really have to get on a scale to know that you've been eating more than you had?" I accept that some people who were at the high end of or even morbidly obese may have to be more precise, but geesh. Five years in? Seven years in? Twenty? There are a few people on Spark who have that much time in and still record. They seem to be at very low weights to me, in the low 20's on the BMI scale.

Then again, it's their prerogative.

For your sister's sake, I hope she finds the right balance.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ZippaDee

Re: ZippaDee Do Da Days...

Post by ZippaDee » Tue May 26, 2020 10:49 am

I'm here. Today's eating plan is simple. No Sweets. No Snacks. No Seconds. I will report back tonight.
ONWARD>>>

Diets Don't Work.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue May 26, 2020 5:59 pm

Welcome back!

Plan sounds great! Good luck, you can do it. :)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu May 28, 2020 2:49 pm

Hi Zippy!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Fri May 29, 2020 2:35 am

Hi Auto!
Hi Pink!
Thanks for the encouragement..so far so good! I have had 3 good days. I have been reading a bit about intermittent fasting and think I will give this a try two days a week. I did a 24 hour fast Monday night to Tueaday night. Am planning another one tomorrow. Will see how it goes. It was really not that difficult Tuesday. I had eaten a lot of food on Memorial Day though. Its some. You just dont eat. No thought in that. It has a lot of health benefits besides weight loss.
ONWARD>>>

Diets Don't Work.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:50 am

Did I see on gratefuldeb's post that you are recently back? Welcome again and warmest wishes!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23