Granola bars?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

doulachic

Granola bars?

Post by doulachic » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:54 am

ok, maybe i am overthinking this, but are granola bars a sweet? I had one today before i had a chance to think about what i was putting in my mouth and then i realized it and thought "uh oh!" the one i had has chocolate chips in it, but isn't dipped or anything. any opinions?
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

navin

Post by navin » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:25 am

I'd say it's borderline... you did say it wasn't one of the chocolate covered ones, so that's good. I'd check the ingredients, though... if "sugar", "high fructose corn syrup" or anything like that is near the top, it's probably pretty sugar laden.

I treat them kind of like cereal.. certain types certainly *can* be an S, but there are good ones out there, so it takes a little bit of snooping to see if you're getting more of a sugar bar than a granola bar. :)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:18 pm

Hi Tricia,

I personally would consider it a sweet. Anything with chocolate chips in it is probably not a great idea... and even without, I have yet to come across a granola bar that isn't loaded with sugar. Granted, it's better than a chocolate chip cookie, but still. It's also very snacky, which is fine if you have it with a meal (snacks are "when," not "what"), but might not be so great in terms of temptation if you have them lying around.

That being said, we've all got to draw our own border lines. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Reinhard

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:24 pm

thanks for your replies! i wasn't concerned in the way that i wanted to KEEP eating them, just that i had eaten that one on the way home from the grocery store and didn't even think about the sugars until it was halfway gone already! :roll: Had i been thinking and not so hungry at the time, i wouldn't have eaten it. well, i don't think any damage was done since i am still on track and doing well... :D

i looked at the ingredients and that lil' old granola bar had 12 grams of sugar! :shock: Not as bad as a candy bar, but still. and it also had brown sugar and corn syrup, etc...Definately will be saving those for S days!
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

j_bonies

Post by j_bonies » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:40 pm

Just in case you are looking for a granola bar that doesn't have any added sugars, or corn syrup, or chocolate chips, I've been buying these, and they taste great and pack a pretty powerful amount of fiber and protein:

http://www.kashi.com/bars_granola.aspx? ... ory_ID=71&

I have found these granola bars and the cereal (which I eat every morning) at Vons, Henry's, and Costco (here in San Diego).

The above link, if you look to the top, has a store locator.

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:37 pm

Thanks! I love Kashi cereal! I haven't tried their bars though. may give them a try. :D
***GRINS***
Tricia

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:00 pm

I usually bring a granola bar to work with me to munch on Saturdays and Sundays. I will definitely look for the Kashi bars. Thanks for the info!