This has probably been asked before but I'll ask anyway...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Älskling

This has probably been asked before but I'll ask anyway...

Post by Älskling » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:26 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before I just can't look through all of the posts!

When it comes to S-Days, how far is everyone straying from the weekday plan? Totally berserk- like snacks, sweets & seconds or all day snacking? And if so, doesn't this cancel out any weight loss during the week? I have between 10 and 20 pounds to lose so I would imagine that my weight loss will already be on the slow side..

Last weekend was my first since starting No-S and when I woke up on Saturday I ate breakfast and made brownies since I had been craving chocolate all week. I waited until lunch to have one as a dessert and then I had another with coffee mid-afternoon and then again for dessert after dinner. Ok that was bad, but not so bad. Then on Sunday I was over the brownies and for some reason wanted rice crispy treats. That day was one big binge. It was like I was possessed and, you guessed it, I ate the whole thing along with breakfast & dinner. Needless to say I felt sick by the end of the day.

I'm truly hoping that this weekend is not a repeat of last. I'm thinking that whatever baked goods or desserts that I make that I should take half and throw in the freezer so I don't feel like I'm wasting it if I don't eat it.

Any tips or input?

Thanks,

Maria

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:47 pm

Hi Maria.
i think a lot of people on this board have had this kind of trouble when starting out. I think after a while you get better at regulating yourself...This is my first week back on No-S and this time i am planning ahead. Like you, i had a few weekends where i just went hog wild, and even before No-S i could eat a whole pan of brownies! :shock: My own experience is that if i make a whole pan of something and leave it out, it is simply too much temptation and i will eat it. so this weekend i plan to just buy a few single-serve items. i think it would be a great idea though if you are really wanting to make something, to go ahead and make it and then maybe cut it into individual servings and freeze it, leave out only what you plan to eat for your weekend. I think i may try that next time! :lol:

not much help here, but i'm sure others who are more experienced will chime in!
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

peetie

Post by peetie » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:02 pm

Hi Maria,
I absolutely relate to what you're saying. I had the same problem when I first started out, and Reinhard suggested I look at Saturday and Sunday as days I reward myself for being so good all week. So, I chose one reward food for each day. For example: Last weekend after dinner I had this huge buttermilk donut from my favorite shop on Saturday. Sunday, I went out to lunch and ordered a slice of cheesecake for dessert.

I think the reason it is enough is that I don't do sweets all week, and I'm conditioned, at last, to not need them in massive amounts.

The freezing idea works well for me. I bought myself a whole Costco sheet cake and cut it up into individual pieces...wrapped them in foil and when I want a decadent piece of cake, it's there for me. And, shock of shocks, I did this about 4 months ago and there are still many slices left!

I, like you, didn't have a lot to lose, but just wanted to develop some normal eating habits after years of dieting and bingeing. And I'm more normal in the food arena than I ever thought I could be at this point in time thanks to the structure of this plan.

Keep experimenting and you will find your new normal too!

Peetie

Kevin

If that doesn't work for you...

Post by Kevin » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:30 pm

I have, or had, a tendency to eat myself almost ill on the weekends. Now, I allow myself seconds and dessert (sweets), but I still don't snack. Well, maybe occasionally if I'm watching a game or something.

I just can't give myself carte blanche. I'd gain it all back
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:59 pm

I've just started too, so maybe I'm not the best example to follow, but....

Last weekend I had a plan. I planned to bake one set of sweet things and one new bread recipe that I hadn't tried yet (something I could use when the N-days came around, but which still used up dishes and energy that could otherwise been used on baking sweets). Then I also unloaded the excess on my unsuspecting friends. We usually get together with people over the weekend so that was easy for me, I just put out a plate with the goods on it and voila! they were gone (okay so I had some too, but there were more of them than me). If you aren't in the habit of inviting people over or going over to someone else's house you might just rig up some little goodie bags to pass out at church or something.

This weekend I also have a plan. One kind of cookies (okay maybe two) and one kind of bread. Let's see how it goes.

So that's my advice, such as it is.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:58 am

I have done that many-a-times on the weekend - a full out binge that leaves me feeling like *crap*.

My take on this is simple - you can't do that. That is just as bad in my opinion as dieting all week to only binge, which for me has meant gaining back more than what I lost. That is counter-productive.

My goal for weekends is to be looser on the rules, but within reason. I have not mastered this but then again I have only recently 100% committed to No S and so far it has been awesome. Weekends do frighten me though.

I would like to be able to eat three meals still, with exceptions on dessert, or snacks here and there. But there is no joy in going to bed stuffed to the gills, even though you had everything you wanted. Maybe plan special treats? As you can see, this is something i need to figure out myself.

Good Luck, and keep us posted!

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:52 pm

Thank you for all the tips. I haven't decided what kind of treat I want this weekend since I'm not really craving anything. This weekend I'm craving pizza or a cheeseburger even though I know I can have those during the week.

I think I'm going to have to use some restraint. I seem to be able to stick to three meals so I may have to continue that on the weekends and only allow sweets as desserts.

Wish me luck!

Maria

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:10 pm

Personally, I don't make any rules at all for the weekends. If I feel like stuffing myself with doughnuts and chocolate from dawn til dusk non-stop, then that's what I'll do. That said, in practise what happens is that I just don't feel a need for anywhere near as much sugary junk / salty snackfoods as I used to. I've learned what it feels like to be comfortably full. I've learned to listen to my body and now know for sure that overdoing it just feels NASTY.

So, my typical S day usually differs from an N day in a couple of major ways - timings are all screwed up and I'll eat about 5 or 6 mini-meals instead of the "3 plates and that's it". The quality of the food I eat is usually much poorer (nutritionally at least) than the food I would normally put on my plates during the week. My 'mini-meals' or extra snacks will usually include something sugary or junky. BUT.... Overall, if I was to actually count up the volume of food consumed on an S day it's about the same. Yes, the calorie content is a little higher, but not enough to matter to me.

I did wonder at first why the nutritional content was so much better during the week - I think it really is because when you only have 3 chances to consume the full balance of healthy things, you do pay more attention to what there is on the plate. At weekends, because I have unlimited chances to get it 'right', I just don't pay any attention to it.

In my case, it's better to live with heavier S days and lose slower, because I know that if I start to feel in any way like I've 'deprived' myself (however illogical it might be!) then I'd probably just go AWOL for sure.

C.
CaroleJo