Annie De's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

anniede

Annie De's Check In

Post by anniede » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:20 am

My sister pointed me to this site a few days ago but only now did I have a chance to sit down and read everything. I'm intreaged with the No S Diet and Urban Rangering.

Really, I'm already an Urban Ranger. I've been walking for years. Even walked a few 10K Volksport walks, which I really enjoyed. Walk walk walk walk walk...I swear, if you compared me to a vehicle, I'd be easily classified as high mileage.

I come from a family of overweight people and have been battling high blood pressure for a while now. Diet and exercise keeps it under control, but I have to be religious about it. Then came baby...my weight didn't skyrocket but since I had a history of high BP, my doc kept lowering my activity level, which killed any exercise.

I'm about 9 months Post-Baby and have been working on building up my endurance. For the first 6 months or so, I walked all my errands, just trying to get back into the swing of walking more often. (I live in walking range of 2 markets, a produce stand and many other stores where I shop.)

Starting Jan 1st, I began to walk more often, taking the "long routes" to the local stores. I've gone from barely making 2 miles to barely making 4 miles (that's my glass ceiling for some reason). I walk almost everyday (my weekends are my rest days), with my longest walks on Monday and Friday.

I'm quite happy with my walking progress, and if I couldn't get past the point where I'm at now, I'd be content.

I've got the exercise under control...now, it's the weight issue. (I started with exercise first, since most docs and medical advice tell breastfeeding moms to start exercising before they start playing with their food.)

The No S diet seems to be a good way to tinker with my intake without messing up the "output" (OK, sorry about that pun but I HAD to put it in...he he he). A "no sugar diet" is no stranger to me (I lost 30 lbs doing that a couple years ago and kept it off, even after the pregnancy!).

OK, this has gone on long enough. Plain and simple, I'm starting up the No S Diet come Monday ontop of my walking. Should be interesting...

Annie in Northern California
"Walking is my therapy...what about you?"

schmiddtty

Post by schmiddtty » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:29 pm

Hi Annie,

Since S days, (Sat. and Sun.) count too, you actually could say you've started today!! Good luck!! MJ

anniede

You're right!

Post by anniede » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:33 am

Ooooo...you're right! So, I started today. ;-)

Diet - S Day...enjoyed a dessert with dinner (Chocolate Thunder at Outback! OOooo...)

Exercise - Lots of walking. Walked a mile or so around a local park and then walked the large outlets mall this afternoon.
Annie
(walking in Northern California)
http://therriault.blogdrive.com

"Walking is my therapy...what about you?" Annie

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." Steven Wright

anniede

Sunday - S Day

Post by anniede » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:35 pm

Sunday - S Day

SUCCESS

Food - Had 3 Nutter Butter cookies as dessert after dinner
Exercise - Walked almost 5 miles at a local nature preserve wit hthe family. Feeling stiff afterwards but good!
Annie

anniede

Monday - Non-S Day

Post by anniede » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:21 pm

SUCCESS - even with a migraine headache!

Woke at 3 AM with a crying baby and a massive headache. Once I got her calmed, I started dry heaving (too much snot from sinuses on an empty stomach - YUCK!) so I had a handful of Chex Mix before heading back to bed.

Was good all day even though it was really hard to not have an afternoon snack. Gum and lots of tea/water got me through that! LOL Helps that I posted one of the business cards on the fridge at eye level. ;-)
Annie

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:58 pm

Hey Annie,

sorry I wasn't around to welcome you before! Glad to see it seems to be going well for you so far though.

Hope you find NoS as sane, helpful and straightforward as I have.

All the best,
C.
CaroleJo

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:35 pm

Hi Annie, sounds like you're doing really well. Glad you've joined us!