First Shovelglove Post Here..

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
gratefuldeb67

First Shovelglove Post Here..

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:41 pm

Hopefully this will change very soon...
Did you all know that Shovelglove is Schaufelhandschuh, in German?
That is a mouthful! LOL...
Hi Reinhard!
Have a most excellent weekend!
Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:01 pm

Thanks for breaking the ice, Deb. First post surface tension can be a powerful barrier...

I discovered recently from a German shugger that the German word for sledgehammer is "Vorschlaghammer."

Germans might have to wrap an extra sweater around their Vorschlaghammer. Look how pointy they are on one side here:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/search ... 47-6896853

gratefuldeb67

Vorschlag or not to vorschlag... SG & M....

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:51 pm

Yes, those are the kind used in the Mines of Moria...
We have them here too, but I believe their called "Mauls",,, a dire reminder for those who aren't careful how they swing their hammer of destruction...
Extra sweater? Not enough protection! We're talking serious "childproofing" must be done for those...
Numerous foam chunks then a few hundred yards of duct tape and *then* the sweater to cover up that nasty looking 3M and foam...
And, I also think, besides a sweater, German Schaufelschleppers, who opt for the axe of their forefathers, need to make sure that they have major medical, and really good hand eye coordination, when using those for exercise at home.
I'll stick with the flat version for now.
Things are looking good guys! I think that I will be back in action by next week.. My lungs are really clearing up, and now that I'm not clenching a steering wheel for four hours a day and dragging mufflers, batteries, and heavy rotors around like a moron, my arms and soul, are getting the r & r they need right now.
Have a nice weekend all!
Love,
8) Deb

Ariel King

Hi Deb, Yay for the new forum, etc.

Post by Ariel King » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:11 pm

Hi Deb, Reinhard, et al. Deb, I am so glad you're finally starting to feel better!! Reinhard, thanks so much for switching over to this nice BB format. I like it a lot better than the yahoo group, which was always annoying (but got worse after they made the big changes). I saw your last post to the yahoo list and wanted to let you know that I've made the switch - though I guess you get a notification whenever anyone registers here. Anyway, I'm not a technophobe, and wish I knew how to help those who are, but I'm sure they will all make it over here eventually!

BTW, in my last couple of SG workouts I've been doing 100 shovels in a row (to the right, then to the left) followed by 50 or so wood chops in each direction. I think I like 1 long set better than 2 short ones, but I can't believe I can do all that with my arms in one session! Without even any soreness the next day!! WOW! So in short, it's still going well.

gratefuldeb67

Way to go Ariel!!!

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:40 pm

See I told you you are Ariel of the Awesome Arms!
Nice work! 100 shovels? That is awesome!!! Now you are *MY* inspiration girlfriend!
Well it's official... I am back to almost the weakling strength of a flatout beginner... I tried to do the workout yesterday around bed and I felt so weak! Aughhghrrrah! Pathetic! LOL.. :twisted:
I'll try again today! I'll make it through the 14 minutes for sure, just a little wimpier than my previous "Killer" energy! :wink:
Heh..
I hope warrior Deb arises from her sabbatical soon!
At least I am not coughing or congested any more thank God!
Just a weakling...
Also that delivery job kindof zapped me too...
I'm really happy you are blossoming into SG so well Ariel, and, look ma!
No soreness :P
(note to other warriors: don't get sick for two months and stop Shovelling... you lose all of what you gain in that much time!)
Peace and Love,
Deb

catwolf

Re: Hi Deb, Yay for the new forum, etc.

Post by catwolf » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:40 pm

Ariel King wrote:BTW, in my last couple of SG workouts I've been doing 100 shovels in a row (to the right, then to the left) followed by 50 or so wood chops in each direction. I think I like 1 long set better than 2 short ones, but I can't believe I can do all that with my arms in one session!
That is seriously impressive. I tried adding woodchopping today, but I only got...um, 10 logs(?) chopped in each direction. But it's great to have other people's successes as inspiration.

Deb, glad you're feeling better too. Death to the pouch! :wink:

Shelley
A pox upon the House of Crunches!

catwolf

PS...

Post by catwolf » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:42 pm

The new BB is MUCH better than yahoo groups. Thanks for setting this up.

Shelley

gratefuldeb67

Die oh miserable crunch!!!

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:58 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lady Shelley Macbeth!
Impaler of enemies, and gravedigger!
Yes! I second that!
Death to the Pouch! :twisted: LOL
You are very funny! English humor is so great and eccentric!
I used to pretend I was English when I was in junior high just because all my idols in music and film and comedy came from the sceptered isle.
I have always enjoyed the wonderful, eloquent way that Brits use English.
Even a simple put down sounds better when Diane Riggs says it!
I think living on that island for so many centuries, the English had a chance to develop a truly different sense of humor, culture and other qualities, truly unique from others...
Keep hacking the enemy to shreds!
Love,
8) Deb

Ariel King

Eek!

Post by Ariel King » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:00 pm

Aack - people are looking to me as inspiration!! THAT'S a scary thought! :shock: But thank you for all the kind words. Do keep in mind that my SG is only 8 lbs. And I keep thinking I must be doing something wrong (e.g., too easy) to be able to do so much so soon (been doing it just since about March 21), but I try to get my whole body involved in the shoveling movements, and I do get drenched in sweat & out of breath shortly into the workout, so I guess I'm doing ok. Ok that was the longest runon sentence I've written in quite some time. Anyway, I'm glad if my progress report was helpful to you guys.

Deb - don't lose hope! I'm SURE that even though you feel like a beginner again, your strength will build up much faster than it did originally. It just seems logical. But you would be the expert on this, having much more knowledge of physiology! Don't you think it will return pretty quickly?

catwolf

EEK

Post by catwolf » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:48 pm

Argh, Deb, I just lost my post, but I was just "what she said"-ing Ariel. The first few times back after illness are the toughest. Just getting back on the horse and going through the motions (yup, I always take my metaphors mixed) those first few sessions is a HUGE accomplishment. Perseverence is the mark of a TRUE Klingon warrior. :wink:

BTW-- I hate to disappoint you, but I'm just another American Shovelglover in London. I got the address, but not nifty accent. :( But I totally second your opinion on British humor and language. And just about anything can be improved by being said by Diana Rigg.

Shelley

gratefuldeb67

Not British!!!???

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:03 pm

Hi Shelley! No accent? No problem (sigh! sniff... sob.. so bummed out that you aren't English...boo hoo....) Just kidding!
Whatever your country of origin, you are still a total pisser! :lol:
I especially liked your "wasted adulthood" comment before!
I was cracking up :D
Okay, so you are up on what it takes to be a Klingon Warrior?
Somehow, I think Klingons would like that pointy German maulish Shovelglove more than the flat ones... Hmmm?
I recently found out that if you really want to insult your Klingon friends you can tell them
"Your mother has a smooth forehead"
Them's is fighting words amongst that race...

Thanks a bunch Shelley and Ariel :)
You are good SG buddies and I really appreciate your upbeat "re-encouragement" while I get on a horse and back into a saddle???
I like to mix my drinks, I mean, metaphors too! :P
Have a nice night!
I start my job at the NYH&RC manana and pray that I will do good!
Believe me, once I am back in the saddle, you guys will know it!
Hugs! and Love,
Deb