New year traditions

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
Hoeka

New year traditions

Post by Hoeka » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:30 pm

No no, no not NY resolutions (I wouldn't inflict those on you). What do you do to ring in the new year?

I love reading and the concept of having "too many books" is utterly alien to me. I try to make my first purchase of the new year a new book: it makes me feel that the coming year will be full of new books, new adventures. In the past, when I missed that 1 Jan purchase, I felt a hollow gnawing in my soul that could only be satisfied by the smell of paper and ink. I've only ever not bought a book on that date when I was away from a bookshop - usually the bush.

Another tradition I have is to throw out all my spices and buy new ones. I love spicy food, but they do lose their taste after a while. So, even I had bought spices towards the end of the year, they all get chucked, and I buy "fresh" ones asap. The symbolism is trite, I know, but it works for me.

What do you do to invite the new year?
Our bodies are our gardens to which our wills are gardeners - Shakespeare

~hf

Post by ~hf » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:41 am

Here's an idea that just came to me today via e-mail. December reckoning - basically finishing the work and projects of the year in order to ring in the new year with a blank slate.

http://smallnotebook.org/2010/12/17/december-reckoning/

I sure wish I had heard about this sooner, there is no way I could finish my open projects and tie up my loose ends in time. :roll: Maybe next year though.

Hoeka, I think I'm going to join you and toss my herbs and spices. I know there are several that I have that I wouldn't bother to replace and I'm getting tired of trying to come up with ways to use them so that they don't go to waste...as some of them are seriously past date. :oops:

Heidi

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:46 pm

A few years ago I started weeding out my closet every new year. I turn all the hangers around so they're facing the "wrong" way (hooks outward instead of inward). As I go through the year and wear clothes, when I re-hang them after washing I hang them the right way. At the end of the year, anything hanging the wrong way still hasn't been worn in a year and can be disposed of. Special dispensation is given to formal wear (as long as it still fits and is reasonably in fashion) - since I don't necessarily have multiple formal occasions per year.

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:36 pm

I don't have any New Years' traditions, but after listening to all of yours, I am going to do the spice thing. I am generally really bad about throwing them out b/c they are so expensive. I may attempt to do the closet weeding. However, I hope ALL of my clothes are ready to be disposed this time next year because they are too small. :)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:05 pm

Jimmy Buffett- "So I'll make a resolution, that I'll never make another one..." Not very profound, but it serves me well.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79