Don't kill me, but

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sporkfancier

Don't kill me, but

Post by sporkfancier » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:02 pm

I lost five pounds my first week of No-S. The weird part is, I don't really feel as though I've been dieting. I've been obeying the no sweets part rather strictly (I felt very iffy putting a tbsp of brown sugar in my Red River Oatmeal), but other than that, I'm not really doing much different.

That said, I used to snack between meals, sometimes making a snack a meal in itself (especially those damn McDeal meals). But 5 lbs in one week seems a little ridiculous, considering the amount of water/fluids I'm drinking.

Anyway, it's encouraging, but it's almost worse psychologically to have such a good week than to have a bad. Regardless, it's good news for now.

Cam
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:14 pm

That was*the most* confusing post I have ever read! :shock:
LOL..

Are you disappointed that you lost five pounds painlessly???
LOL..
Were you expecting more?

Maybe I'm just dense~
Please clarify!
Have a great day Sporkster....

Peace,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:15 pm

Cam:

Well done. You are probably eating a lot less then you used to. Don't worry, I'm sure that no one here wants to kill you. :D

Enjoy this milestone.

Dru

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:19 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:That was*the most* confusing post I have ever read! :shock:
Are you disappointed that you lost five pounds painlessly???
LOL..
Were you expecting more?
What I mean is that everything and everyone associated with No-S has said that the weight loss is slow, steady, etc. To lose 5 pounds in a week, without significantly changing my eating (or so it feels), is unbelievable; basically, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Something along the lines of my doctor calling me and telling me I have the flesh-eating disease or something.

I certainly wasn't expecting more; I was expecting a lot less. Anyway, it could just be the day I weighed myself, but I ate out twice yesterday, so I don't think it is that.

Essentially, I'm just confused--even when I did Atkins I didn't lose weight that quickly off the hop.

Cam
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:39 pm

Most likely, some of that is water weight Cam.. I doubt you will lose five pounds a week here on a normal basis...
But it's pretty amazing how cutting out that in between snacking has pushed you off into a new weight realm!
I am sure you don't have a flesh eating disease! LOL..
NoS just really works!
Yay!!!

Have a nice rest of your weekend :)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Kevin

5 pounds in the first week?

Post by Kevin » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:39 pm

I wouldn't consider that way out of line, depending on how much you have to lose. You also have to consider the accuracy of your scale, and the time of day that you weigh yourself. I'm always at least two pounds heavier after dinner than I am when I wake up, so if you started by weighing yourself in the afternoon, and your "after" weight is in the morning, you might not really have lost eight pounds.

I've read through lots of newcomers' posts, and there seems to be a consistent desire to make this harder, or more complicated, or to try to polish it to a finer degree than necessary. It's kind of entertainment for those of us that have been doing it for a while. You're not the first to wonder why No-S isn't harder than it is.

But there will be days when it's very tempting to cheat, so build up your resolve.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:49 pm

I've read through lots of newcomers' posts, and there seems to be a consistent desire to make this harder, or more complicated, or to try to polish it to a finer degree than necessary. It's kind of entertainment for those of us that have been doing it for a while. You're not the first to wonder why No-S isn't harder than it is.
Kevin! You little :twisted:
LOL....

Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:31 pm

Congratulations! Good news doesn't need rationalizations, just enjoy it (and don't expect to lose 5 pounds every week).

There seems to be a big range in how fast people lose on this. Some people see a nice initial drop right off the bat, then plateau for a bit, others crawl from day one. It's best to mentally budget for a crawl, because even if you're lucky in the beginning, it's where you're going to wind up at some point. By keeping the focus on habit rather than pounds, you'll be able to keep going even when the pounds news gets less exciting. After all, your eventual goal is a great big boring plateau -- and while staying there might seem a remote and theoretical problem now compared to getting there, it's actually the far more difficult problem.

Reinhard

JWL

Post by JWL » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:46 pm

Whenever we change the routine that our bodies have grown accustomed to, they can react in unpredictable ways. So I'm not surprised.

But I agree: enjoy it while it lasts, and don't expect to (or beat yourself up when you don't) lose 5 pounds every week.

Stay the course, and hang on tight for the ride!

:-)
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Ink

Re: Don't kill me, but

Post by Ink » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:44 pm

sporkfancier wrote:. But 5 lbs in one week seems a little ridiculous, considering the amount of water/fluids I'm drinking.

Cam
My guess is, this weight-loss is probably mostly water.

Drinking lots of water makes the body less likely to retain water. Plenty of fluids = no draught, so no need to lug it around.. ;)

Taking in less salt by not eating McDeals probably helps, as well.