Other kinds of losses...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

navin

Other kinds of losses...

Post by navin » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:00 am

While going through a bunch of folders and paperwork (heh, tax time!) I discovered some old records from cholesterol screenings. I had one before no-S, and then one from last year, which is about 1 year after I started No-S-ing. The results were striking. I disocovered some other losses I've had:

Total cholesterol: 24
"Bad" cholesterol: 6
("Good" choletserol also up 5)
Triglycerides: 64

Blood pressure: don't have exact measurements, but I have gone from borderline-hypertention to "normal" levels

Amazing what sensible eating can do for you... anyone else noticed anything like this?
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:07 am

Wow Navin, that is amazing! Just goes to show you this really works, eh? :D
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

Big Phil

Other losses

Post by Big Phil » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:57 am

I read an article the other day on changes in the liver (look out for the latest issue of Hepatology!). Apparently, part of the decline in performance of the liver is due to how well it processes fat globules in particular. Fat globules then circulate for longer in older persons, giving the fat longer to oxidise and potentially participate in forming atherosclerotic plaques. This explains why the largest risk factor for heart disease is age! (Who would have thunk - growing old makes you die!) :lol:
Anyways, I got to thinking that No-S might have other benefits besides making you lose weight. Namely, giving your liver a chance to process everything and clean out the blood before the blood gets loaded up again at the next meal. If you think of the normal "perma-snacking" diet in this context, the liver must be constantly working just to keep up with the constant influx of fats and nutrients to be processed. You don't need to detox - just give your liver a rest sometimes!
I thought this might have something to do with the improved blood numbers that have been mentioned here before, along with yours Navin.
I know I am preaching to the choir, just another reason to stick with No-S, but I think it might explain why I feel more alert on No-S.

Phil

david

Post by david » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:45 pm

Phil,

I've also been feeling the benefit of having three set meals rather than eating throughout the day. I was considering that perhaps the perception of more "energy" is due to the digestive system resting between meals.

I like the liver explanation though--it makes sense.

thanks,
David

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:05 pm

Hey Phil,
Bile the way,,, You are a really Hep cat! :P

(I know, I know.... Major groan!)

Aaaaannnnnd,,,,,,
I agree that the poor liver needs some rest!
It is responsible for about 500 different functions in the body...
In Chinese medicine it's named "The Master Planner" and is also the seat of the "Hun" which is our Ancestral or Ethereal Soul....

Have a great day!
Long live NoS!!!
Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:59 pm

I was reading an article in the new york times magazine about this crazy Slovenian ultra endurance athlete (who can bicycle for days on half an hour's sleep and pushes himself so hard that he starts hallucinating that mujaheddin are chasing him or that his teammates are making fun of him), and apparently one of the many problems these guys run into is their liver gives out because it can't handle the constant eating they have to do to keep going. I imagine that the situation for people who eat like ultra endurence athletes but don't move like them (or much at all) isn't much better.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:43 pm

I've read that when you wait between meals and don't eat three hours before bedtime that your system works better and can focus on things other than digesting constantly.

Hey Reinhard, that dude does sound crazy...and this is coming from a fellow Slovenian :wink: hehehe

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:52 pm

OK. I can definately believe that eating all the time is likely to make you sluggish and tired... Just look at your average person after they've just eaten a big meal - most people just want to curl up in a cozy little ball and fall asleep, huh?

Personally, I also find that if I eat a large lunch, I'm much sleepier and less 'intelligent' in the afternoon.

C.
CaroleJo