Ideas for breakfast protien?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

doulachic

Ideas for breakfast protien?

Post by doulachic » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:56 pm

Hi all, just wondering if anyone had any ideas about what kind of protien to eat at breakfast..something to fill me up and keep me going till lunch?

I'm trying to somewhat change my usual breakfast meal of toast (or some other bread) and fruit...i've never been much for breakfast. lately i have been having a few eggs, but i get sick of that real fast, plus it's kinda fatty.

any ideas for a healthy, protien/fiber packed breakfast would be much appreciated. :D
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:35 pm

Peanutbutter toast? Cheese toast?

I put nuts in my raisin bran for more protein. Toasted cheese is also my friend. You could try cheese spreads: cream cheese, neufchatel cheese (1/3 the fat of cream cheese), pimento cheese, ricotta. Or maybe a bowl of cottage cheese with a sprinkle of seasoning (cinnamon and sugar if you're a sweet eater, mexican seasoning if you like it salty) or maybe yogurt of some form.

Others have suggested mixing peanut butter with your oatmeal.

Of course you could always whip out the bacon. Turkey bacon of course.

JWL

Post by JWL » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:32 pm

I'm a big fan of Morningstar Farm's breakfast patties. They are tasty, like little vegetarian sausage patties. I've even had dedicated carnivores say they are quite good!

Another thing I'll do is put some of my wife's homemade granola (lots of protein in those, soy flour, peanut butter, nuts, etc etc) in with some yogurt.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

kellenheller

Post by kellenheller » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:17 am

Some things that I like for breakfast:

Cold, broiled salmon with raw sugar snap peas.

Caprese salad: Buffalo Mozerella and Grape Tomatoes with a teaspoon of olive oil, salt and pepper, and optional splash of balsemic vinegar. (I had this one today and it was YUM)

Low fat cottage cheese with cut up raw broccoli and cauliflower.

Smoothies are always good if you have the time to whip out the blender. I make them with bananas and ice and milk. I don't care for the ones with yogurt.

Low fat ricotta with blueberries and splenda. Really, any fruit with ricotta and splenda rules. Or peanut butter mixed in. This was the only thing useful I came away with from the Southbeach Diet.

Low fat Triscuits and low fat cheese, with a crisp Gala apple.

One of Amy's brand organic burritos.
ping

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:21 am

Thanks everyone! I will definately consider your suggestions...i guess it's trial and error, huh? :wink:
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:49 am

I used to have cheese & tomato on toast before I went to school (well, to be fair mum would force it upon me, as otherwise I'd just skip brekkie). Worked pretty well in keeping me going till lunch.

Nowadays I just have some musli. No idea what sort of protein is in that :D

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:25 pm

Here are some regulars for me:

1. Toasted mestemacher black bread with cheese and nuts (and salad if there is any leftover from last nights dinner, or cooked vegetables). I often "toast" this all up together in my cast iron skillet (lubricated with a bit of olive oil). Cashews are unbeatable. A piece of fruit or fresh squeezed juice on the side.

2. Some reasonably healthy cold cereal with whole milk, diced fresh fruit and nuts (pecans are unbeatable).

The big common protein motifs are dairy and nuts. I'm a big fan of oatmeal, but I usually save that for lunch. I usually save eggs (and bacon!) for the weekend because it's too much of a production weekday mornings. I sometimes have pate or liverwurst on my mestamacher, which I understand may be too intense for non-teutons.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:54 pm

Cashews are unbeatable
(pecans are unbeatable).
*You* are unbeatable!!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ps... Great ideas for a hardy breakfast from our "hardy" Rein! :wink:

iheartsamberg

Post by iheartsamberg » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:11 pm

I'll have to agree with Freakwitch on this one - being a vegetarian, I always get my protein from vegetarian patties, which I think taste delicious. They offer good taste without as much and cholesterol. I'm also a fan of Morningstar Farms, and if you want to pay a little more, Amy's Kitchen has some amazing products!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:38 pm

Go vegetarian burgers!!! I love em too..
But for non veggie guys..
How about making a few cups of tuna or chicken salad, ahead of time, and having a half cup or so on a slice of bread?
It's quick and easy and definitely protein...

Have fun Tricia!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:24 am

A good trick is to cook a little extra dinner the night before and have that.

Stew / Mince on toast is yummy.

Chicken / fish fillet with some salad on a roll is also a great one.

To find interesting alternatives try and get away from the thought pattern that breakfast has to be from a set group of foods.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:09 am

I tried a sausage patty from Morningstar Farms today and it was yummy! I have to admit that i was skeptical...i tried Boca Burgers before and they were NASTY!!! But these sausages are good! I had one with some scrambled eggs and toast and it tasted just like a regular sausage! And i stayed "full" for a long time...i will definately be eating these again!

Thanks guys! :D
***GRINS***
Tricia

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:22 am

Yeah... I love Morningstar farms stuff.. If you take the sausage patties and some rice and beans it makes a nice jambalaya...
My favorite things they make are the corn soy dogs and the veggie burgers...