Marie's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

iheartsamberg

Marie's Daily Check-In

Post by iheartsamberg » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:21 pm

Welp, this is my FIRST day, and even though I'm not completely done with the day, I am not going to be on later tonight, so I figured I'd write what I will be having for dinner tonight. I know I won't binge or change my dinner.

Current weight: 119.5 pounds (5'1)
Goal weight: 110 pounds
Total pounds lost: 0

Breakfast: bowl of rice chex with soy milk, one cup of 100% fruit juice, organic granola bar

Lunch: two small tortillas (one veggie, one rice), 1 bag of Lays baked chips, orange juice, two wheat crackers

I was feeling extremely hungry after school, so I am now chewing on some sugarfree gum. I know I shouldn't be, but it's help keeping me from eating! I hope to eventually really figure out how much I need to be eating during meals and be able to completely cut out everything but water in between lunch and dinner.

Dinner -EDIT-: PB & J, I WAS going to have thai kitchen instant noodles, but because the seasoning packet had animal products in it and I absolutely HATE butter/margarine of any kind, I had a PB sandwich, banana, water

My main goal is to eventually become more nutritious. I am probably nutrient deficient because I'm a vegetarian, and VERY PICKY EATER, so I end up eating the same foods, day in and day out. I am not very fond of vegetables, I don't like cheese of any kind, in anything...and I won't eat milk or eggs by themselves - so this poses a problem! But I hope to cook more, and really see what's out there, because I'm an eat-and-go girl as of now. I'm learning!

iheartsamberg

Post by iheartsamberg » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:30 am

I haven't updated, but let's just say that the past two days haven't been good! I looked on the scale, and saw that the numbers went down, so I felt that it was quite "ok" to binge...this always happens when I go to the scale, but for some reason, I can't get it out of my head that I don't need a scale in order to determine my own self worth! Well, I have faith...tomorrow I'm starting again. I hope everyone else is doing well. Thank you all for your comments/e-mails, I will be replying to everyone soon! :)
Last edited by iheartsamberg on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:21 am

Hi Marie,
I think it's great that you're starting No-S at such a young age. This is definitely a step in the right direction. Bravo to you for being a vegetarian. I think it's admirable but you have to be extra careful about nutrition in that case. I don't know how much research you've done on the subject but it's worth looking into since you've chosen to exclude most animal products.

The reason that you might be so hungry is that you didn't eat enough protein and fat today or enough food in general. I know you said that you're a picky eater but what about tofu or beans? How about yogurt? Nuts would be a good addition as well. Will you eat those?

I also think the fact that you don't like vegetables means that you're not getting enough fiber. If you eat a little more fiber (in the form of vegetables) it'll slow down your digestion a bit and keep you from getting hungry too soon. You may also want to look into taking a B12 supplement. I have a friend who ended up getting a B12 deficiency and it affected her hands (it affects the nervous system.) She's fine now but she ended up eating meat again.

Good luck!

Maria

iheartsamberg

Post by iheartsamberg » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:59 pm

Yeah, I definitely think that being hungry has something to do with me being vegetarian...I do try to get protein, but my favorites foods are fruits and grains...I could go weeks without little to no vegetables, dairy, or protein. In fact, I'm not a big dairy person. I don't like cheese, milk, or eggs - I don't eat cheese at all, and I can only stand milk, eggs, and butter when it is "disguised" in something (i.e. cake). This might be one reason that my binges don't affect my weight tremendously, but nevertheless, it's not healthy, and I'm trying to fix this. I also take my multi-vitamin! :) Thanks for the input! I'm going to see what I can do about protein.

iheartsamberg

VALENTINES DAY! Feeling sick, haha...

Post by iheartsamberg » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:05 pm

Should I count today as a failure, or a success because it's Valentine's Day? I'm going to count it as a success, but I did not binge. Today, was definitely an S day. Valentine's Day food GALORE! I have been battling with the thought of taking the sweets out of no S, but I realize that's a bad idea! So, here's my day in a nutshell...

B: two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, water

S: an iced sugar cookie, the sweet kind that are soft and amazing! :)

L: two small veggie tortillas, rotini pasta, a slice of cake, water, and a small amount of chocolate

S: ANOTHER cookie, tootsie roll pop, and some more hershey kisses

Needless to say, I felt somewhat sick when coming home. I'm getting ready to eat dinner, which will be Thai Kitchen noodles, soy milk, and a vegetarian protein patty with ketchup. Surprisingly enough, I'm hungry right now.

I sometimes feel like if I just eat three meals and do not worry about the sweets, it won't matter, but I want to do this, I want to end my binging. To be honest, I'm not concerned about weight anymore - my weight seems to go down when I'm naturally eating. Even when I feel like I'm eating more than I should eat, I lose weight, unless I BINGE. I also often wonder what I would look like if I did not have compulsive eating disorder. I exercise on a regular basis, and eat alright for the most part, but that doesn't change anything if I binge. Anyway, I must go! I hope everyone is doing wonderfully.

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:54 am

I don't think you should count it as a failure. Not bingeing is awesome.

I'm not sure what you mean about "taking the sweets out of no S." If you mean you're not sure you want to give up sweets on N Days, let me just say this: in my experience, when I do eat sweets on S Days, it makes want more. I think it has to do with what happens when you eat sugar and your body pumps out the insulin to deal with the high blood sugar - it overcompensates and you're left with low blood sugar which triggers hunger. This is what I've read anyway- if I'm incorrect, someone please correct me.

Anyway, I think that if you keep the sweets to just S-Days you might binge on them at first but during the week you'll feel better and you'll start to like that feeling. I'm only on my 4th week of No-S so I'm not exactly an expert but I can tell you that I used to binge and think about food a lot, now I don't.

Maria