This may be a stupid question....

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
idontknow

This may be a stupid question....

Post by idontknow » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:06 pm

...and I hope it doesn't cause offence. My youngest girl has just started cheerleading - (we are in the UK). This started a family conversation about how in US TV programmes such as 'Glee', the cheerleaders always walk around in their uniforms. Does this really happen in US high schools????

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:46 am

Back when I was in high school (about a decade ago) the girls would wear there uniform on game days - or any other days where they had some sort of a cheer event. But they wouldn't wear them daily. This was typical for many of the sports - athletes would wear uniforms (or some school appropriate version like jerseys with jeans) to school on game days.
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

Kevin

Re: This may be a stupid question....

Post by Kevin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:57 am

According to my kids, cheerleaders will often wear a jacket, or a sweater, but not the whole outfit. Most common on game day.

It could be a regional thing, though. It's a big country.
idon'tknow wrote:...and I hope it doesn't cause offence. My youngest girl has just started cheerleading - (we are in the UK). This started a family conversation about how in US TV programmes such as 'Glee', the cheerleaders always walk around in their uniforms. Does this really happen in US high schools????
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:15 am

Thank you Kevin and Sienna. I meant to add in my original post that we do know 'Glee' is not an accurate representation of schools in the US or anywhere else (thankfully!). However, this is something which is seen in quite a few teen shows - I suppose it's simply a dramatic device to show which characters are which.
Thanks again :)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:17 pm

I'm out of the loop on teen television. I can't imagine the crap a cheerleader would take for wearing even part of a uniform other than on a game day. I would suspect that it might even be against regulations in some schools as some coaches are very strict about those sorts of things. I know that my son who plays American football has to have certain kinds of socks and cleats.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:39 pm

idon'tknow wrote:Thank you Kevin and Sienna. I meant to add in my original post that we do know 'Glee' is not an accurate representation of schools in the US or anywhere else (thankfully!). However, this is something which is seen in quite a few teen shows - I suppose it's simply a dramatic device to show which characters are which.
Thanks again :)
I am SO glad for your addition that you know it's not an accurate representation of high school.

The image our media exports is so unfortunate. (And imports too... we don't have a TV in our house because I want to limit some of the influence. Not sure it's working...)

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:19 pm

It is so hard to limit the influence of such a pervasive presence. British culture is undergoing a real change in some areas because of the influence of US TV. Trick or treat, for example, didn't exist when I was young but it is the norm now. Of course, I'm not saying that all British TV is a good influence - there is far too much rubbish which has an influence on our young people. I probably wouldn't have a tv if it was purely up to me, but my husband is a sport addict and wouldn't cope without it :roll:
My approach is to discuss anything and everything with the girls and encourage them to evaluate and analyse what they see. Which is how we came to be talking about US character stereotypes in the first place...