Chippie&co. check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Chippie&co.

Chippie&co. check-in

Post by Chippie&co. » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:41 pm

Day 6 of the No S for us. Hubby and I are doing it together. Helps to have a buddy.
Nearly passed out before lunch on Day3.... cereal and tea for breakfast were not going to cut it, I suppose.
Stomach obviously not shrunken yet. :? Patience is a virtue and all that.....

All in all, not going too badly. Snacking was obviously a serious factor in the weight gain over recent years, and I suppose we have to come to terms with the fact that the bowl of ice cream while watching CSI, DOES in fact constitute dessert (Hubby: "but we don't really have dessert on a week night anyway...."). We're going to bed earlier to avoid tempatation :lol: !!!!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:39 pm

Hi Chippie!
Welcome and good luck!
I used to eat only cereal and coffee for breakfast, but that doesn't cut it for a long period of time.. Try to include some cheese or meat or tofu or eggs... Even one egg will help you considerably... If you're in a rush, you could pre make these, hard boiled...
Any addition of protein will make a huge impact on your hunger..
It did for me! Fruit is great too, for bulk and taste :)

Glad to hear your hubby is doing NoS with you.. It makes it 100 times easier not to have conflicts over S's during the week...
You will both reap the benefits of each others support!

I do NoS with my nine year old son Richard... We look forward to S days as opportunities to celebrate now, and the sweets consumption is one fifth of what it used to be pre NoS...
Look forward to hearing how it's going for you!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Chippie&co.

Thanks!

Post by Chippie&co. » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Deb!

There are those moments, mostly just before lunch and in the stretch before supper when self-control is wobbly at best. My snacking, apart from keeping my 3 and 1.5 year old girls company , has always been driven by hypoglycemia. Good snacks morphed into the worst kind, and eating all day just became a nasty habit!
I know my body needs to get into the habit of using the right sugars (sounding a tad Atkinsy?), and that's also where the protein DOES make a difference.

Anway. Yesterday was an S-day, but we didn't go crazy because we had a Special day on Friday and an S day on Saturday.

And you know what, not as much satisfaction sharing that Italian pastry with Hubby (he's the &co.) as I thought there'd be.

Thanks again- hugs and good wiSheS,

Chippie