An electric bass guitar works too...

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
bewildergeist

An electric bass guitar works too...

Post by bewildergeist » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:36 pm

Just found this website today via a discussion at 43folders.com. And it looks awesome!

Sounds perfect. And very pseudo-masculine in a very satisfying way :D

I bought the old school Charles Atlas course a few years ago, which I like for much the same reasons. And it seems to work, but I never get beyond the first few weeks before falling off the wagon.

So I'm giving the Shovelglove a go! I wanted to test it out right away, but I didn't happen to have a sledgehammer lying around (surprise surprise) so instead I just tried it out using my electric bass guitar! I'll still go buy a sledgehammer, since it's no good for neither the instrument nor it's tuning and I'm a bit more worried about injuring my floor/ceiling/furniture/myself... But thought I'd pass on the tip, in case anyone else owns a bass guitar but no sledgehammer :wink:

And the first track on my Shovelglove playlist will definitely be Weezer's "My Name is Jonas"!

Reinhardt, this is the kind of thing that makes the internet worthwhile! I'm totally going all out Urban Ranger/Shovelglover/Weekend Luddite! And my gf and I are going on the nosdiet, just for the fun of it! :D

Keep up the good work!

--Edit:
To prove that a sweater-wrapped sledgehammer is not the goofiest workout-implement in the world, here's how it looks with a bass guitar:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:32 am

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Love it!!! :twisted:

I would get a sledge though...
Even though you may worry, about the damage that could occur, you would be wise to consider that the headstock of the bass isn't really designed to be used as a handle for swinging..
Protect your instrument unless you want it to end up in a repair shop real soon...

Great pic though! :wink:
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:43 pm

bewildergeist,

This is awesome. I particularly appreciate the pyjama homage.

And you know the guitar isn't *just* goofy (valuable in itself as that quality may be). It'll also be great way to get the movements down before moving up to a heavier, more stressful, dangerous implement -- comic pragmatism.

And it's got to weigh at least 5 pounds, right? Certainly heavier than a broom. And the shape is right on. More shovel-like than a sledge.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:03 pm

Actually, electric instruments can be pretty weighty as they are usually solid wood and then you've got the metal components inside too..'
It's probably more like eight pounds.

But back to my warning!
LOL..
A *bad* electric bass is probably over three hundred dollars..
A good one into the thousands...

Go buy a sledge for 25 bucks...
LOL...

Yeah, now everyone will have to post sg pictures in their pajamas! It's Shovelglove Chic!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:53 pm

Nirvana music would probably work well, too. :D

bewildergeist

Yup, no doubt a sledgehammer is better!

Post by bewildergeist » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:19 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:... you would be wise to consider that the headstock of the bass isn't really designed to be used as a handle for swinging.
Certainly true. I wasn't doing the movements with much force, though. Just trying to get a feel for it. But for sure, even though it's just a $100 bass guitar from a pawn shop, I'd hate to bust it up by hitting anything by accident.

Although Reinhardt's point is a good one: it does look and feel a bit more like a shovel than a sledgehammer does... :D

And as for starting a Shovelglove picture-posting fad, I'd almost hope not! :wink: Or if I do, let's hope everyone sticks to the pyjama-homage and doesn't follow the advice that Charles Atlas actually gives in his course; that all exercise should be done in the nude, in front of a large mirror... :shock:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:10 am

let's hope everyone sticks to the pyjama-homage and doesn't follow the advice that Charles Atlas actually gives in his course; that all exercise should be done in the nude, in front of a large mirror...
Awwww I never get to have any fun!!!!! :P

Have a nice evening BG...
(Cute name by the way!)

Peace,
8) Deb

Kevin

Yes

Post by Kevin » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:36 am

I'd be listening to Yes. That Rickenbacher bass...

But that's probably too old a cultural reference for you...
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:36 pm

Hi Grandpa!
LOL...

Yeah... Rickenbacker instruments are pretty gosh darn big! :lol:
Of course if Bewildered Geist wanted to really go ballistic, he could make a SG out of an acoustic bass :P