A thought about Valentine's Day..

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

doulachic

A thought about Valentine's Day..

Post by doulachic » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:19 pm

edited by me
Last edited by doulachic on Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:21 pm

oh, yeah, my point was that Valentine's Day can have meaning without spending a fortune. the whole idea is to show love...something we should be doing every day anyway... :wink:
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

JWL

Post by JWL » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:26 pm

Hi Tricia, I think you have some good points, though I think you may misunderstand feminism. Feminism does not equate to separatism or hatred of men. I think many feminists have good points, though there are several that drive me nuts, but I think overall they mistake an economic class problem for a problem of gender.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:40 pm

once again, fixed
Last edited by doulachic on Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***GRINS***
Tricia

Kevin

Hmmm.

Post by Kevin » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:31 pm

I don't think that any of the attitudes you are talking about are feminist - but I've always tried very hard to not ascribe a motivation to a behavior - I've found that when I do, I'm usually wrong.

I'm glad you are enjoying staying home with your kids. My wife stayed home when the kids were younger. Now she works, but we put the kids on the school bus and take them off the school bus. It's ideal: she gets adult companionship during the day, and she's home when they are home.

A man can't compliment a woman in the work place? Of course he can - I do it all the time. I compliment my coworkers' work, their savvy, their command of language, their organizational skills... I don't compliment their body parts, though. That truly is inappropriate, however pure I claim my motives to be.

It does seem that society is going down hill, but I don't think any of the behaviors you are citing have much to do with it, and I don't think that the reasons are easy to see.

Anyway, my two cents. Probably not even worth that. :0)
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:57 pm

I guess I won't buy you Gertrude Steins autobiography for your birthday Tricia! Hee hee...
So Tricia, are you trying to say you are just against high maintenence beotches!??? LOL...

Thanks for the entertaining rant!
I love when people get all riled up...
You look very feminine when you get angry!!!
LOL..
I think it's really easy to put labels and such on people and movements....
Bottom line, I think, is how we choose to behave individually which defines us.. Not what group we belong to...
But we are all connected, so hating one group over another isn't really wise...
LOVE is the real answer!
And Tricia, whatever you are, wherever you are, and even if you decide not to stay home or to go out,,,,

We love you!
Happy Valentines day!!!!
Hugs :)
8) Deb

So... did your husband vacuum the living room and say I love you while wearing some sexy satin underwear???
LOL..

Kevin

Deb

Post by Kevin » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:28 am

Woah, Deb, who said anything about underwear! That's an over-share! :0)
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:22 am

ok, don't think anyone is quite getting what i mean here, but that's ok, no big deal...

Deb, you crack me up! Actually, we did our celebrating Monday cause that was hubby's day off, otherwise i would have been home before him...armed with chocolate body paint... :twisted:
***GRINS***
Tricia

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:43 am

Doulachic
I agree 100% it is something that we should do every day.

I think the thing that irritates me about Valentines Day is people spend a fortune on this one day and then spend the rest of the year verbally and emotionally abusing one another. One day cannot fix a year's damage. I see it with people at work - they have nothing good to say about their partners but come Valentine's Day they spend a fortune (which a lot of them don't have - long live credit cards!!) and then the next day they are back abusing one another.

Just my 2c worth.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:56 pm

Woah, Deb, who said anything about underwear! That's an over-share! :0)
One can only hope!
LOL..

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:27 pm

Hmmm..This is a really loaded issue that sounds like the battle between working moms vs. stay-at-homes moms meets modern day consumerism vs. frugality.

As a stay-at-home mom that believes that children are better off at home than at daycare I can also say that I like the occasional bauble from my husband. I don't think that my materialism has anything to do with feminism, in fact I thnk it's quite the opposite. My husband enjoys giving me things on occasion (sometimes it's a Krispy Kreme donut for my birthday and sometimes it's a diamond necklace.)

I also believe that I have a lot to thank for the feminist movement because without it I'd probably have married the wrong guy at twenty and been divorced by now. Instead I got go to college, work and live on my own before marrying at thirty. I think that getting married later has allowed me to bring a lot more to the marriage.

In any case, I believe men can be just as materialistic as women but they tend to go out and purchase their own toys. The whole idea of a woman relying on a man to provide something for her is a decidedly unfeminist idea. So while I agree that Valentine's Day is a "gimme" holiday I don't think that women, especially feminists, are to blame.

Maria

peetie

Post by peetie » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:42 pm

Here, here, Maria! I'm with you. And I LOVE diamonds and extravagant gifts from my sweetie, yet I don't think that makes me a bad person. My values are admired by many in my real life, and I do nice things for others at every opportunit. I don't think one has anything to do with the other. I was a bit offended by your rant, Tricia. But, thanks to NoS, I didn't binge over it!!!!

Peetie

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:30 pm

i'm done now
***GRINS***
Tricia

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:24 pm

This was fun!
LOL....

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:58 pm

i do aim to entertain! Check me out at www.illustriousonionskinplayers.org

if you go to the top menu bar and click on Cast and Pictures...then click on Enter under 2005 and you can see me in some pics....they aren't numbered but i'll tell ya what ones i'm in if you just click next after each pic...

number one: a group pic..find the girl with the off the shoulder red dress in the very middle of the group (not the front row, but the middle of the whole group) and i am just behind her left shoulder..i am wearing a sparkly green dress...can't really see me too good though

pic number five: i am on the far right kneeling on the floor, wearing a black dress with designs and a red feather boa! (the skit is "I enjoy being a girl")

pic number nine: i am in the back row, far left on the end (not flattering as i am wearing an onion suit! skit "I love onions!")

pic number 11: i am in the middle row (just behind the ballerinas) wearing a green shirt and bow tie...i am supposed to be a part of the "Lollipop Guild" in the Wizard of Oz. not a flattering pic... :lol:

anyway, i love melodrama!
***GRINS***
Tricia

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:06 pm

Hi Tricia!
You look very pretty!!!
I think you should walk around with a red fuzzy boa all the time!
Red is your color!

Great to see you!
Hugs!
8) Deb

ps... I didn't know you sang and acted! That's great!

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:39 pm

Those are pretty bad pics, i look like a steet walker with all the stage makeup! :lol: But it was fun. It is a melodrama group that does a show all through March...we start practices right after Christmas, but i am not in it this year as i just don't have the time to devote to it this year...maybe next year! But anyway, they do a play and in between scenes they have little skits and stuff...totally fun! we have an opening number where we sing a few songs together as a group (pic. one) and then a closing number too at the end of the show. We even have can-can girls! :shock: And you get to boo and hiss at the villian, and cheer the hero! good old fashioned fun!

it's so much fun! guess i am a drama queen at heart.... :twisted:
***GRINS***
Tricia

navin

Post by navin » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:03 am

Hi Tricia!
You look very pretty!!!
I think you should walk around with a red fuzzy boa all the time!
Red is your color!

Great to see you!
Agreed. Shame you're already married. :)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:30 am

i look like a steet walker with all the stage makeup!
You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk???
LOL..
Maybe you and Shameless Hussey can go into bizness.. :twisted:

(PS... Your rant was the most fun around here for at least a few months..
I'm sorry you felt you had to erase it..
But I've been there..
Foot in mouth syndrome has happened to me many times! :P )

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:47 am

Aaaahhhh...shucks, guys! :oops: Thanks for the snaps..

Deb, sometimes it's good to get fired up about something, but i just felt like maybe it was offending too many people and they weren't really getting my point, so i felt it was better to let it go. But i'm glad you had fun! :D

Only walk the walk with hubby...heehee...besides we already have a trashy strip club in the next town and i've heard the local talent leaves a lot to be desired....what can you expect in smalltown Idaho with farmers and ranchers? :twisted: think i'll stick to my day job of motherhood with a little Doula moonlighting! :lol:
***GRINS***
Tricia