Jumping In!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sfunky67

Jumping In!

Post by sfunky67 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:17 pm

I was delighted to find this website, as I have been on a quest to find the "newest" solution to my weight problem. I'm 38 and have been overweight all of my life. I have had some success in the past with both TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) and Weight Watchers, but when I don't attend the meetings, the weight creeps back on. I am currently 248 pounds, having gained about 35 pounds over the last year. You know the old saying "When she is good she is very good, but when she is bad she is horrid"? That would be the description of my eating habits! I am completely out of control at this time, and need to get a hold of myself! I am ready to make a committment to this style of eating, and am so glad to have the support of this community! I'm starting TODAY, and look forward having a place to go to share my struggles and successes! Thanks for being out there!
Sfunky67 :)

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:38 pm

Welcome! :D
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:40 pm

Hi Sfunky67!!!!
GratefulDeb67 here..
Welcome!
Woo hoo.. I was born June 22.. What's *your* birthday?

You will love NoS ten million times as much as any other place...
And you won't be dependant on going to meetings.. Thankfully, we are all here in it together and the group is really supportive, on all issues...
I started NoS about 16 months ago and was, approximately 230 lbs, or so.. Probably more, but I don't have any really accurate numbers as my scale was really off and I didn't have a physical that year...
Since then, through a tenacious combination of NoS, Shovelglove, more recently Yoga, and just not giving up, I have dropped about 20 lbs, but my waist is down five inches... Nearly three sizes down from before...
I'm about five inches away from my long term goal, whatever that translates into pounds wise...
Feel free to check out my before and after pics from my thread.. I think they are a few pages back... Now.. Keep in mind. Many other people here have lost *twice* as much as me in the same amount of time... It's very hard *not* to do well with NOS...
The binge mentality really changes once you get into this..
Don't be too worried about pounds immediately, as this is slow, but it's steady, real, and permanent... As long as you stick with these simple rules, even only with 75% success, you will drop weight and transform your whole food experience and way of thinking...
It's a breath of fresh air..
NB.. Don't worry about S days... You must focus on good weekday patterns... My weekends were pretty extravagant during my first year, and usually, I would screw up on one or two of the week days too.. but over time, and with perseverence and exercise too, the weight came down..
If you are able to be "Very very good" then you will do wonderfully with NoS.. the rules are foolproof and very simple (is that redundant? LOL..)
They work! And if you are "horrid" then just be that way for a day or so and get back on track!
Good luck and remember, if you fall a little, just use it as learning experience and don't give up... When we challenge ourselves to really grow and change, setbacks are part of the process.. But you will really enjoy being able to say, 100 percent, that you will be the one responsible for your success.. Not a pill or a shake or some expensive diet product...

Wishing you the best of health and much success!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Kevin

Welcome...

Post by Kevin » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:06 am

Come on in. The water's fine!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

sfunky67

Post by sfunky67 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:58 am

Hi Deb,
Thanks for the advice...nothing I haven't told myself a gazillion times! By the way, I'm August 23rd, so you have me by a couple of months!
I did relatively well today, but I can tell you that the "no SNACKS" will not fly with me. I don't mean that I'm going to dive into a bag of Cheetos every day, but my "hungry" time tends to be around 3:00 every afternoon. I absolutely have to have a snack to get me through to dinner! I was especially hungry today since I have cut way back from my normal food intake, but chose a healthy snack of almonds and (gasp!) dried prunes. I don't care...I like them!
I went walking today for 35 minutes, and hopefully when I get home from work tonight (at 10:45) I won't raid the fridge like I usually do. I work part-time and my shift recently changed to 10pm vs. 8, and I find it a real challenge to stay out of the fridge when I get home. But, I'm pretty motivated today. I absolutely have to stick to this or else I will have nothing to wear this summer! I'm going to Vegas in 8 weeks, and would really love to have dropped 30 pounds by then. I know it's ambitious, but I gave away all of my "fat" clothes the last time I lost weight, and refuse to buy myself any more size 20 or 22 clothes!
I found today interesting as I "plated" my Boca Burger for lunch. It's an interesting concept, the one plate meal, and something that I almost find challenging! I made sure to arrange my orange in a pretty pattern, and filled the rest of the plate with fresh veggies. I am hoping to keep this motivation going...thanks for your kind words! One day down, 20 to go until my three weeks are up.
Take care and I'm sure we will be in touch!

That guy

Post by That guy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:19 am

re: snacks

Change the definition. There's a loophole -- have 4 smaller meals rather than the 3 traditional ones. Just make sure the other meals are indeed smaller, to compensate.

Some folk on here eat 4, some eat 2, most eat 3. The most important thing is getting the habit right, so don't set yourself up for failure by saying you 'can't' do this.

Sounds like you're on the right track, keep it up!
Starting over 07/31/06 @ 262
Current: 262, Goal 160

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:44 am

I was also a 3pm binger! and I find that if I have good size lunch with protein, carbs, fruit, veg I am less likely to have that need at 3pm.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:59 pm

Welcome, Sfunky.

If it's a choice between 4 meals and permasnacking, start with 4 meals. It'll be slow, but better than impossible.

There can be something artistic, almost "zen," about the one plate rule. Glad you see it that way!

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but 30 pounds in 8 weeks is probably not going to happen on no-s... it's not intended for such quick results. It's more about fixing the problem of overeating at the root. That takes time, but it's permanent.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:08 pm

However losing 30 lbs is very possible in a year! :!:

Reinhard.. No one could ever call you a killjoy...
It's your honesty and advice we all need...
Never ever change!!!!! :wink:

Sfunky gal,
... I know the mentality of saying to myself, by three months from now, I will be able to lose 20 lbs... I used to do that for years... I know better now, though those bad ideas do sometimes rear their heads... I mean.. who doesn't want to lose fast? But all of our fast loss experiences have reverted to fast gain-back experiences... That's why we are trying NoS!
So I'm encouraging you to really challenge your mindset.
It's really detrimental to think this way.. Take one day at a time..
Now.. mini goals are great.. Sometimes that little goal setting can really be powerful. But we can only jump through so many mental hoops and ups and downs before we finally go nuts and get frustrated and disappointed with it all..
If you lose at what's considered to be a normal rate of loss (not fad or extreme dieting type loss) you might see more like an average of a half pound a week... Some weeks you might lose five pounds.. Some you might lose nothing... Be prepared for those plateaus, and just keep on track!
You will get there!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ps... Feel free to start a checkin thread if you haven't already! :wink: