Shovelglovers of the World Unite!

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Jammin' Jan

Shovelglovers of the World Unite!

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat May 14, 2005 4:45 pm

I'm now officially one of you, having gone to Walmart and bought my very own sledgehammer. I bought a shorter one (15 inches long) marked at 4 pounds, but it felt heavier than that, so I weighed it when I got home: 6 pounds. I like it a little shorter than others that I saw because I'm a short person, and this gives me more control over my form. Anyway, I did 50 shovelling, 20 churning butter, 20 stoke the engine, 20 pounding fence posts, and 20 hoist the sack (numbers are reps on each side). I have been doing weights and aerobics for 11 years, but 14 minutes with this thing has left me breathing harder and my muscles quivering. Did the churning butter with squats, and stoke the engine from a lunge position. A wonderful thorough workout! Thanks for inventing it :!:

gratefuldeb67

See Jan Go!

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat May 14, 2005 8:14 pm

Yay Jan! You are sooo cute! Keep those muscles a quivering oh small, but mighty one! Welcome to the alliance!!! :wink:
Love,
8) Deb
ps... see you on Monday!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon May 16, 2005 3:35 am

I'm excited to hear it, Jan. Keep us posted. And make sure to take it very slow. Remember that the only hard parameter is 14 minutes (and even that is negotiable for beginners). You can do the movements as slowly as you want, there's no quota. Do them in slow motion until you feel really comfortable. And if anything hurts, stop immediately and take the next day off.

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Mon May 16, 2005 9:32 pm

Congrats Jan and welcome to the world of SG! I hope you're feeling ok since Saturday. When I did my first SG workout, I went at it with such gusto (that's one word for it :roll: ) that my arm muscles were nearly incapacitated for the next 11 days. So I hope and pray you used more common sense in your first workout and are able to do another one today. Let us know how it goes! :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon May 16, 2005 10:13 pm

Oh yeah, I was pretty sore on Sunday! But it was a good sore, not a bad sore, so that was okay. I know what you mean about going at it with gusto!!

Well, I was going to do it this afternoon, honest I was, but then I fell asleep on the couch and didn't get to it. It would've been a nice nap, except for the telemarketer who called and woke me up, then screamed at me and hung up. Good grief.

Husband and I will do some form of rangering after dinner, and then maybe I can get to the shovelglove after that. I like the movements as a change from using the dumbbells. There seems to be a larger range of motion, which makes for a more vigorous workout.

Have fun!

gratefuldeb67

SG is the coolest!!!

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon May 16, 2005 11:59 pm

Hi Jan! I agree that the SG is far superior to the dumbells... your range of motion isn't stifled with dumbells, but two things are really different with SG...
One, the weight is distributed through the handle into *two* hands, so it's nice to have less yanking on one arm... That extra "spotting arm" really makes a huge impact, so then, you feel more like swinging out in all directions because you have that extra underlying stability from the second hand and from the handle too...
And let's face it, you really can't pretend and imagine *that* much with dumbells.. Sorry Samurai and Reinhard, I have to stick to my "dumbells are boring no matter what" theory...
Stoking an oven or chopping a tree, without a handled tool, just would feel weird!
Keep the flame burning Ms. Tz!
Love,
8) Deb
Oh, since we are making all these confessions, I will too....
I didn't SG today and dinner is still cooking now.. I did swim, and do 30 situps, as well as 10 45 lb bench presses with the empty weight bar though!
Life is getting busy for Grateful Deb!
Tomorrow for sure! My schedule has been really weird and hectic!
I will report in manana :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 17, 2005 2:16 pm

Deb, it sounds like you're doing great given all that's going on in your life. If it's a little unorthodox, heck, you're a little unorthodox. Your 80% discipline plus extra impromptu efforts seem to be working great. Keep it up! And keep "confessing" here, to inspire the rest of us (and keep you motivated to come up with more inspiring material).

gratefuldeb67

Hi

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue May 17, 2005 2:58 pm

Who, me?!!! Unorthodox??? :P
I *am*??? LOL...
I thought no one would notice! :lol:
Yeah, I am using the facilities because they are here! And free...
I have added daily situps to my daily spiel here. I use one of those cool tables you hook your feet under and can put at an angle for the little extra bang for your buck to the abs...
Richard and I were playing guitar last night (how nice not to have a tv connection again! We are limiting our tv time to only rented movies...)
and, man, my fearsome grip has almost disappeared! It's pathetic!!! :P
So, imrovising may be good for my overall health, but withouth SG my hands are suffering from "wimpy grip!"...
This must end!
How else am I going to be able to keep up with Richard when we play Led Zeppelin!?
I'll be "Gloving it" later when I get home :)
Have a great day wielding that steel!
8) Deb