Jan's Daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jan

Jan's Daily check in

Post by Jan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:42 am

I am starting tomorrow. I was eating every three hours but it was driving me crazy as I always forgot to anyway. On weekends when I didn't try to eat every three hours as I was in church ect.. I just ate 3 normal meals. Anyway, tomorrow.. no snacks, no sugar... I think this is really going to work. Normal eating like I did as a kid.. :P

Jan

Post by Jan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:43 am

and no seconds.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:45 am

Wow. Eating every 3 hours! I think that would drive me crazy to spend my whole day (pretty much) thinking about, planning, preparing and eating food!! How did you ever find any time to do anything else..?! :P

Welcome to No S. This might not be quick, but it definately works. I'm down 20 lb in 6 months and I've had more than my fair share of days 'off habit' too. The key is to keep going. One slip up won't ruin it all for you if you get yourself straight back up there afterwards and do the best you can.

I hope this plan brings you peace and health, like it has for me.
C.
CaroleJo

Jan

Post by Jan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:51 am

I know, it was the 3 hour diet and as I said I couldn't do it because I was always forgetting anyway, but it puts the fear in you that your metabolism will be slow if you don't. Anyway, I just want to be normal and not worry about it. I did learn how to eat right on it tho with half of the plate being fruits and veggies and the other half protein and carbs and about a tsp. of fat.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:17 pm

Go for it Jan!
You'll love NOS!!!

Have a great day and looking forward to hearing from you :)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:54 pm

Hey, we have another Jan!!!

If you were eating every three hours, were you doing Jorge Cruise's "3 Hour Diet"? No-S is much better than that, and I hope you will benefit from it. Post often! :D

Jan

Yesterday

Post by Jan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:35 am

Yes, it was Cruise's 3 hour. I felt such freedom on my first day of the No S diet. I didn't miss snacks at all and I didn't get hungry. Here is what I had:
B: 6:30, Tofu Scambler, Whole Grain Toast with 1 tsp. Soy Butter, Orange, Green Chai Tea with 1/2 cup Cinnamon Rice Milk.
L: 12:00, Leftover Homemade Veg Soup, Apple with 1 Oz. Walnuts, iced Black Chai Tea.
D:5:30, Soba Nooodles, !/2 cup with steamed Broccoli, Baked Tofu and Peanut sauce.
Drank 8 glasses of water, Walk/ran on Tredmill for 40 minutes on a program called Canyon Run, walked outside for 40 minutes and did 32 minutes of 8 minute exercise DVD. I really love this diet!

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:05 pm

yummy sounding foods! I love japanese noodles.
C.
CaroleJo

Jan

2nd Day

Post by Jan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:54 am

This is so easy for me. I do not miss the snacks. I do want my dark chocolate bar but I will have it on my nos day. Also my daughter made some hot chocolate after dinner and I passed it up :D
B: Amy's Tofu Scambler Pocket, an orange, Green Chai Tea with 1/2 cup cinnamon Rice Milk
L: unsweetned Spice iced Tea, veggie Sub on wheat from Subway {bought it home and added a Morning Star Chic patty to it}, Apple.
D: Daughter cooked :D , Spanish Rice, 2 Enchildas with Morning Star "Beef" Strips, Corn Mix, Iced Black Chai Tea.
8 glasses of water and 40 minute walk outside and 40 minute Canyon Run on Tredmill.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:53 pm

Your food sounds wonderful!!!

Question for you...do you buy Cinnamon Rice Milk or make it? I have made vanilla rice milk often, but have never put cinnamon in it.

Jan

Cinnamon Rice Milk

Post by Jan » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:44 pm

Jan, I buy it.

Jan

4th Day

Post by Jan » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:44 am

Today not bad. I think I ate too much for Dinner but I didn't eat chocolate or girl scout cookies!
B: Tofu Scambler, Fake Bacon, Orange, Whole wheat toast with soy butter, green Chai Tea with cinnamon Rice Milk
L: Penn Station grilled veggie Sub, fries, Tea
D: Arni's veggie personal size Pizza, breadsticks, tossed salad.
1 hour walk outside, 40 minutes on Tredmill Canyon Run, 47 minutes of WATP DVD with weights.
water: only 4 glasses so far so need to drink more.

Jan

5th Day

Post by Jan » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:49 pm

Yesterday Was a Failure. :(
B: Same
L: Hummus on tortilla with green onions and peppers, Broccoli and Carott Sticks to dip in Hummus, apple, tea
S: Popcorn and Rootbeer {went to movies with daughter and granddaughter- only do this about once a year} but that was my Dinner as I came home and ate one handful of nuts so I had sugar {Rootbeer}, snack {nuts} only 2 glasses of water and didn't exercise except for my 1 hour walk. I wanted to have Hot Chocolate when I came home because I was cold from watching "Eight Below" {loved it}, but I made myself wait until this morning. :)
Today, 6th day is my first S day. I had hot chocolate and 4 girl Scout cookies for breakfast. Probably have Hummus for Lunch and I have a dark Chocolate bar to eat later. :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:07 pm

Hot chocolate and Girl Scout cookies for breakfast...how about vegan pancakes or French toast?

PANCAKES

1 cup flour (all-purpose, whole wheat, or a mix)
1 Tbs. baking powder
pinch salt
1 cup water or soymilk (I use water)
1 to 2 Tbs. pancake or maple syrup (do't substitute sugar for this)

Mix the dry ingredients together. Pour in water or milk and the syrup. Mix well; get the lumps out. Pour onto a hot (375 F.) griddle (greased or sprayed if not non-stick). Cook as for regular pancakes.

FRENCH TOAST

Preheat a griddle as you would for pancakes (375 F.). Grease or spray if it is not non-stick.

Shake together in a jar or put in blender:

1/2 cup vanilla soymilk (add vanilla to taste if using plain soymilk)
3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1 Tbs. pancake or maple syrup
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Cut 3 slices of bread in half. Dip each half lightly (don't soak) in the milk mix. Lay on the griddle. When the bottom is browned, turn and cook the other side.

Two Notes on French Toast: (1) your toast will be brown rather than yellow because there are no eggs in the batter; (2) don't be in a rush to flip these over. They take a little longer to cook than egg-French toast.

Happy eating!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:25 pm

Don't feel bad about the cookies and hot chocolate..
You can have whatever you want on S days...

Richard wanted some ice cream and grilled cheese for breakfast..
I let him have it..
He is still skinny and eats well for at least five days a week..
S days are our reward for being good during the week.
If that's what you felt like having, its just fine.

It's your choice alone and it's fine..

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jan

Thanks Jan

Post by Jan » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:00 am

Thanks Jan for the good receipes. I found some more on your daily postings that I wrote down to try, being my first S day, I think I learned my lesson. I had way too much sugar and treats with the girl Scout cookies and chocolate bar and hot chocolate, I had veggie sub and fries and tea at Penn Station for Lunch and daughter made dinner of barbacued Tofu, mashed Potatoes and Corn on the cob. I think I will do like you tho and only have small treats for my S day.