madacebo's check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

madacebo

madacebo's check-in

Post by madacebo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:46 pm

9 weeks pregnant today. Still doing pretty well with No-S but way slacking on SG, so this thread is to try and get that back in order. Morning is the only reasonable time for me to do it, and during the last few weeks I haven't even been able to get out of bed early enough to get to work on time. DS can get to preschool late but I can't afford to stop exercising. So here goes my first post:

FAILURE

eek!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:50 pm

Hey I remember you!!! How's it going? :D

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I'd be really extremely careful about doing Shovelglove until you talk it over with your physician... Unless we are talking about an 8 lb or less hammer, I would be worried that you might strain your back..
It's probably not worth it...
The connective tissues all get loose because of the hormones during pregnancy, which allow the pelvis to accomodate the growing fetus..
They are very unstable during pregnancy...You could easily injure yourself by going into a position with not enough integral muscular stability, which could lead to a herniated or subluxed spine or your sacrum could be injured..
Sorry if I seem nosy and intrusive here, but as a licensed massage therapist, and SG enthusiast, I really believe this is information which can prevent serious injury...
During my training at the Swedish Institute of Massage, we had so many warnings about not stretching a pregnant woman too far, because it could easily damage the joints due to the extra range of motion which results from the loose tendon attachments.
I felt I would be remiss if I didn't let you know what you are getting in to..
There are lots of exercises one can do when pregnant.. I would just caution you to go really really carefully and definitely not with a heavy hammer which could throw out your back..

Have a great day!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:25 am

Hi and congrats on your pregnancy!

Ok, as a certified Doula, i have to agree with Deb on the shovelglove...if i were you i would definately put that particular exercise off until after the baby is born, especially if you have not been a regular exerciser before the pregnancy.

on the other hand, there are some great ways to exercise while pregnant. you could do some light hand weights, i'd say up to five pounds. Or you can walk (walking regularly also helps build up the muscles you will use to give birth with during the pushing parts.) if you don't like to walk outside, then i would recommend the tapes/dvds of Walk Away the Pounds by Leslie Sansone...she does an awesome workout. and there are also a lot of tapes out there that are specifically for pregnancy workouts.

exercise doesn't necessarily mean a hard and heavy workout...just do something regularly everyday. and i would suggest that since you are pregnant that you add a fourth "meal" in to make sure you are getting in the calories you need to give you body energy to make that little guy! :D Just make it something healthy like fruit, cheese, or maybe half a sandwhich or something. This is also a good idea if you plan to breastfeed.

anyway, just wanted to add my two cents! :D
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

madacebo

Post by madacebo » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:05 pm

Hi Deb and Tricia,

Thanks for the sound advice. I'm planning to keep SGing, and here's why:

- It's the only exercise I've been doing regularly for the past year; my body's used to it.

- It's pretty close to no-impact. I've been doing the same routine for months now, it's just not a challenge anymore. And yes, I am using an 8-pounder, which I'm very much accustomed to. The range of motion is good, as far as weight lifting goes I guess, but feels no harder on my joints than a light stretch.

When I found out I was pregnant with my son, about 4 years ago, I was taking a tae-bo class, which I stopped immediately. Later on I started water aerobics and prenatal yoga, which I did until the very end. Yoga helped me really listen to my body, joints especially, and I feel like I now know what's OK and what's too much.

One thing I like about SG and really need right now is help with general upper body strength. I know I need to walk more and am trying to fit it in, but it won't help my back/shoulders/etc.

I'm interested though- Tricia, why do you say hand weights (a 5-pounder in each hand) are better or safer than a sledge (a 10-pounder in both)?

As for food, I'm trying to stick to these additions: a piece of fruit mid-morning, and some yogurt mid-afternoon. I've upped my protein intake naturally (craving eggs these days) and am trying to work more veggies in in general. Unfortunately one thing that I've found really helps my morning sickness is Coke, and I haven't been able to find the caffeine-free kind in Chile. :( So that's what I really need to work on now!

Thanks again for the advice. I'll keep you posted as things progress.

SUCCESS :)

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:57 pm

Hi, the reason i said to use hand weights instead of shovel glove of the same weight, was because i think the hand weights would be a little more of a controlled motion with no twisting, ect...while the shovel glove is a little different in the motions used. but i would say that if you aren't having any trouble with shovel glove and you were doing it regularly pre-pregnancy, then it will probably be fine to continue with it....but just be careful because like Deb said, you're body does release a hormone during pregnancy to help loosen up and soften your joints in order to prepare the body to stretch and open up during birth....so just be careful just like you would in any exercise.

i have heard that about Coke before! strange what works for morning sickness with different people. i had a friend who swore by chocolate milk! Seems like you have a good handle on how to have a healthy pregnancy.
Have a happy, safe, enjoyable nine months! (or rather, seven months left now, eh?) :D
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:04 pm

Yoga!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great day Madacebo!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

madacebo

Post by madacebo » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:49 pm

SUCCESS

madacebo

Post by madacebo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:12 pm

Whew, been bad about checking in but good about SGing

Weeks 10, 11, 12, 13, 14: SUCCESS

and

Today: SUCCESS

To my dismay though I've started cheating on No-S... gained 5 lbs. in first trimester, which just ended. Not so bad but I've got to be more careful. I'll start posting slip-ups! Starting with:

- Sugary gum, chewed just now