The 1953 Kitchen

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
wosnes

The 1953 Kitchen

Post by wosnes » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:55 am

I found this post and the linked to article very interesting.

I remember the kitchen in my parent's home when I was a little girl. They bought that house, for $3500, in 1938 when they were married. Stove, wall-mounted sink, and refrigerator plus the kitchen table. The kitchen in the next house (built in the 19th century and remodeled) was bigger, but about the same. The third house they owned while they were married was the first one that had a "modern" kitchen. They'd been married almost 25 years when they bought that house.

I do remember my mom having a Sunbeam stand mixer, but I remember the rotary mixer as well. The one thing I remember about my mom's rotary mixer is that it probably needed a shot of WD40 -- it was very hard to crank! I had one until about 15 years ago -- and I could use it now!

The one thing I most remember about the kitchens are the cabinets. The top cabinets extended down to within a foot of the base cabinets and the counter space was unusable. You used the kitchen table.

I also remember going grocery shopping with my mom and sitting in the seat in the cart. One thing I don't remember is loaded carts -- and they were much smaller than grocery carts are now.

I was thinking about how people complain now about not having the time to cook. I've mentioned previously that my mom, her sister and their friends and most of my friend's mothers worked. Nearly all cooked from scratch every night, and it was much more work than it is now.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:44 pm

Our kitchen is maybe from the 70's. We have counter space but no island, no pot filler faucets, a double stainless steel sink. I essentially use a 16" x 32" (I measured it!) space to cook. I could get an extra 10"deeper by moving the utensils, the scale and the knives but I'm not sure to where.

I have a stand mixer that is stored in a deep corner by my cooking space as it doesn't fit in any of my cabinets. I also have
- a microwave which is stored in the other deep corner. I use it to heat water for tea and sometimes to defrost stuff.
- a coffee pot by the sink, non-digital without a timer
- a Cuisinart which I don't use nearly enough to justify its existence but I am loathe to give up (and I'm going to make Vegetable Pancakes this week, another reason to keep it)
- an immersion blender which I use more than the Cuisinart
- a Crockpot which I use for beans.
- an electric frying pan.

Somewhere, I have a blender for making ice cream shakes. I think.

My mother who cooked in an eat-in kitchen remodeled in 1960 had the Crockpot and frying pan, and blender. I believe all the other appliances were available in the 70's except for the immersion blender. They had an electric knife which I do not.

I have a stove, dishwasher and frost free fridge, lower end models all. The stove is not a flat top. No stainless or granite in this kitchen or even butcher block. Laminate all the way, although I have vinyl floors where my mother had linoleum.

I have more drawer and cupboard space than my mother and a pantry closet. If I were more particular about sorting out my cupboards, I could free up several shelves.

Sometimes, when I'm going to town on cooking, I'd like a little more counter space for the mise en place and utensils which I use intermittently but it's not worth it to me to spend the money.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:14 pm

I live in a very small apartment now, but it does have a decent kitchen. I have stove, refrigerator, sink and dishwasher -- the basics. There's not an overabundance of counter space, but enough to do what's necessary. I don't have a pantry. Oddly enough, I don't miss having one.

My stand mixer is in storage -- as is my hand mixer. Hope to remedy that soon! I have whipped both cream and egg whites by hand, but it's a LOT of work.
-I gave my microwave to my daughter. I used it mostly to hide food from her cat.
-No coffee maker. I boil water in a kettle and use the Mellita drip system. Makes the best coffee and doesn't clog up because of hard water. I think I've used the same one for over 10 years.
-I use the Cuisinart and blender regularly. I make smoothies in the blender -- also blend soups, if needed. I like the regular blender better than the immersion blender (which is also in storage).
-Electric frying pan is also in storage and I miss it.
-slow cooker used regularly for beans and soups.

I keep all of the appliances in an armoire that stands just outside the kitchen.

Though I don't have a lot of cupboard space, I have enough -- and some shelves are kind of empty. I actually have two empty drawers! My biggest problem with this kitchen is that the drawers are very narrow and even the narrowest drawer organizers are too wide. My flatwear sits in an organizer on top of the refrigerator!

The only appliance my mom had (in addition to toaster and stand mixer) was a blender, which I used for 35 years after she died. For coffee, she used a Pyrex stove-top percolater. I do remember the stove we had until we moved into the "new" house. It had what I think is called a deep-well cooker, which was probably similar to a slow cooker. I don't remember her using it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:49 pm

My Mom had that deep well cooker in her stove too..I had forgotten about it! she used it for soups and that was about it. i remember my mom buying me a big Sunbeam mixer with a gazillion attachments for a shower gift. I seldom used it preferring a whisk or wooden spoon for most tasks. My kids, when they were small, bought me a hand mixer, thinking I didn't know about them! 30 years later that same hand mixer is still in pristine condition. I have a very nice potato ricer and a masher. I have four favorite knives and a gas stove with my favorite old pots and pans to use on it.. including an assortment of cast iron. My kitchen is not a show-place..it is set up to prepare a meal and includes a table large enough so all 7 of us could sit down together when the kids were living at home. Now, it is an additional work space for me. I like my little kitchen! Right now, it is painted a lettuce green and I'm using a dark purple for accent... I'm not sure how many people would do this to their kitchen but I find it refreshing and it makes me smile! I never thought about how a kitchen reflects the cooks personality.
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:52 am

We live in a 1925 house, whose kitchen was last updated in the late '40s or early '50s. We love it. We have a vintage stove, that is fantastic for baking. We cook most of our meals from scratch.

Photos, if you're curious, are at my blog:
http://howsrobb.blogspot.com/2009/06/ju ... -glee.html

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:57 pm

Grammy G -- the only thing I truly miss some kind of mixer for is beating egg whites. They're really time-consuming to do with a whisk. Makes my arm hurt, too! I've done heavy cream and while it obviously takes longer, it's more reasonable. Oh, creaming things can be kind of a pain, but it's also not too bad.

I read so many people saying "I can't bake because I don't have a mixer." Makes me laugh.

WhoMe? -- your home looks much like my parent's first home, only reversed. It looks like the layout could be very similar, too. Theirs didn't have the built-ins, which I love, but did have a large, enclosed porch across the front.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:25 am

We only have a tiny porch, and we spend most of our time in the back garden. But it is funny how similar houses of this era are.

Tonight, we're making another batch of jam from our plum tree, and starting yeast for brewing beer. All of these things are simple, and date back centuries.

I joke that my goal is to eat like a French peasant.

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 am

Our first house was a 1920's house of that style and I swear we had the same tub and stove. I loved that stove. Now We have a 1900 farmhouse with a kitchen updated in the '70's. I've got a stove, refrigerator and sink. There was a homemade island of sorts when we moved in but we tore it out to make room for our big table (we need to seat 9 and an island wasn't going to do it). I think I might be a '50's housewife. I don't count every egg but it's close and I've stretched hamburger in my time :wink:
Lisa, mom to 7

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:13 pm

Wosnes, after rereading your coffee-making technique, I remembered that I had little "one mug" Mellita flilter holders to put on top of a mug. They were stored with the camping stuff. I used them every morning while we were camping ..decafe for hubby's mug..regular for mine. I too love Mellita coffee and will now make my afternoon mug of coffee by this system. Thanks for reminding me!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:39 pm

Grammy G wrote:Wosnes, after rereading your coffee-making technique, I remembered that I had little "one mug" Mellita flilter holders to put on top of a mug. They were stored with the camping stuff. I used them every morning while we were camping ..decafe for hubby's mug..regular for mine. I too love Mellita coffee and will now make my afternoon mug of coffee by this system. Thanks for reminding me!
I once heard Alton Brown say that this is the best way to make coffee. I think I might have read it in Cook's Illustrated, too. No matter -- it works for me.

I do have a bigger Mellita cone and coffee pot that I use when more people are around.