Engineer's hammers?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
dnivens

Engineer's hammers?

Post by dnivens » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi all! New-ish to shovelgloving (on/off for ~6mo). New to posting on the forums.

Been curious about the possibility of using engineers hammers at about half the weight of my standard SG, using one per arm. Just wondering if anyone out there has tried anything like this. If not, I may try it myself and post back in a while; after I've gotten back into SG in general.

filipe

Post by filipe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:01 am

I'm not a native english speaker, and I'm not sure of what a "engineer hammer" is.
I have 2x1,5Kg hammers to "warm up", mostly with "boxing" movements.
The body impact is different from "standard" shovelglove. Forearms are the more stressed muscles in the game, with little torso effort.
Hope it helps.

dnivens

Post by dnivens » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:04 am

filipe, those are exactly what I'm thinking of. "Engineer's hammers" are just the English (or at least American) term for the smaller, one-handed sledges. Also, thanks for the input. Been thinking of doing different drum-like movements.

filipe

Post by filipe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:17 am

Been thinking of doing different drum-like movements.
I forgot to mention those. Very good exercise.
You can point the movement in any direction.

dnivens

Post by dnivens » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:07 pm

Have you done any videos? I think they could be beneficial, even if just to me :D

Also, have you seen the "Indian Club" movements posted here?

filipe

Post by filipe » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:27 am

dnivens wrote:Have you done any videos? I think they could be beneficial, even if just to me :D

I'm a very bad film maker, with a very limited camera :?
Also, have you seen the "Indian Club" movements posted here?

It's a very looooooooooong post. Although I've tried some clubbell movements with little sucess because the necessary contact surface with the body is the harsh cable, very different from the clubbell construction.

menachem posted recently on the thread http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2370 with a very good video of Chi Ishi, a conditioning tool, very similar to the sledgehammer. It has plenty of interesting exercises.