New here, a shugger to be!

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Colibri

New here, a shugger to be!

Post by Colibri » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:16 pm

Hey guys! How are things? Reddit sent me here, looking for a comprehensive workout that doesn't involve too much cost.

Started Convict Conditioning bodyweight workouts and now I want to start shugging too! I love the primal aspect of it! I train in Wing Chun Kung Fu on Thursday nights too, and I can't wait to get the shovelglove, bodyweight stuff and martial arts going in a good routine. Should be fun :D

I'm looking forward to it guys! Question - what benefits have you guys gained from it? :D

Thanks guys and gals!

Sixty

Post by Sixty » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:05 am

Hi Colibri,

Welcome to Shovelglove - I think it's a good addition to your Wing Chun training. I also train the martial arts a couple times a week, and find that Shovelglove has helped me with endurance and all-round strength.

I suggest you start very slowly to avoid injury, stick to a strict 14 minute workout, and as it gets easier, increase the number of reps rather than the weight or time. Try to keep your spine straight during all movements, otherwise you might pull something in your back (I speak from experience).

Shovelglove will help you become what they call "farm strong".

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Welcome!

In terms of what I've gained, among other things, I can slaughter everyone I know (with one possible exception) in armwrestling. Granted, I hang with a pretty nerdy crowd, but still.

I've also overheard my friends' kids say things like "Daddy, if you were as strong as Reinhard you could pick me up!" and "Who do you think is stronger, Reinhard or the Hulk?"

Reinhard

Colibri

Post by Colibri » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:02 pm

Thanks Sixty! I'll try a 10 minute workout if the 14 is too much at first :)

Hahaha, nice Reinhard :)

Got myself a 7lb sledgehammer today with a nice blue fiberglass handle. Easy enough to carry but thee leverage makes it very heavy. Can't wait to start on Monday :D

Thank you guys!