One year in...

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

SkyKitty

One year in...

Post by SkyKitty » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:42 pm

...and I weigh EXACTLY the same today as the day I joined this forum and started this eating style one year ago today.

I still weigh 198 pounds. I have gone up to 201 pounds and down to 193 pounds over these 12 months.

I haven't lost weight, maybe its my portion control, maybe its too many treats on S days, maybe it's what my meals are made up of, maybe its my mods. ( I have two mods a - I have 4 small meals because of the timing of my breaks at work: typically, a yogurt and a banana at 8am, a bowl of porridge with dried fruit at 10.30am, a bagel and 2 pieces of fruit at 3pm and dinner around 7pm b) I allow myself fruit between meals sometimes.)

However... I love No S.

I feel so much better about myself, my relationship with food and my sanity towards food.

I feel happy now to say to myself and others, that its OK I just don't eat those things on weekdays. I feel in control of what I put in my mouth and when I put it in there.

I wobbled for a while in the December run-up to Christmas, but have generally been pretty good at staying on track, because it is exactly the combination of rules vs relaxation that I need.

I lost 42 pounds in 1 year with a different diet 3 years ago. At this weight now (and at the start of No S) I am 11 pounds up from that lowest weight.

I would never contemplate going back to the previous diet though, for me, weight loss or not I have discovered how to feel good about food. Confident that I am doing something that is good for me and relaxed because I don't need to count obsessively.

I have recently upped my exercise I, started doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and running (a bit). I feel that eating is in hand, and now I have enough clarity and space in my head to think about exercise.

To anyone reading I would say that No S may not have rescued my waistline, but it has rescued my self-confidence and my sanity, and I see myself following it for life because it has made me happier, and that is more important than the number on the scale.
When nothing goes right...go left.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:21 am

Here's to you!!!
You have stated the benefits of No S very well.
Weight loss or no weight loss, the key is the improved sanity and an improved relationship with food.
Way to go!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:53 am

This is wonderful and so needed to be heard by all~
In life, it's about enjoying the moment, being present, being at peace with ourselves, and enjoying others. If we don't have that, who really cares?
A few more pounds for a more beautiful life? Absolutely.
Great work.
Liz

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:15 am

What a great update!! Love it! Congratulations!!! As the quote in my siggie says, "The goal is not a number. The goal is peace" I truely believe that. And, I do think that the weight loss will eventually follow.
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi Skykitty! A Wonderful post indeed! Many thanks and Congratulations to you for sticking with it and not being discouraged and as you rightly say, it is indeed peace of mind vs. the number on the scale. I wish I had thought of that before I veered off the beaten path last week in my bid for weight loss over sanity! Needless to say, it did not work for me and I am delighted to be returning to the fold this week. I have been on this plan for well over 2 years (almost 3) and it has been the only plan I have been able to stick to long term and most of all has given me sanity around food.

After 3 yrs and a few ups and downs, weight wise, I haven't lost any weight but I too had/have found sanity and peace of mind over food. No S has become a lifestyle change rather than a quick fix and I can only assume I'd be much, much heavier at this stage in my life (given my age, sluggish thyroid etc, etc) if I hadn't adopted the No S Plan.

ALL THE VERY BEST, SKYKITTY AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR INSPIRING AND ENCOURAGING POST!!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:46 pm

I think if more people were content with more modest weight loss, as you seem to be, there wouldn't be all this talk of stressing over maintenance. It's not that hard to maintain if you're not trying to be an ectomorph when you aren't an ectomorph. Shoot, if that's all you're eating, Lord, how much less should you be expected to eat?

Keep up with sane eating and have fun with your new exercise. And thank you for checking in with us. I also congratulate you on sticking with NoS while you had to drop posting instead of sticking with posting and dropping No S!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:40 pm

Congratulations, ShyKitty!

I love it that this is a diet where 0 pounds after a year is grounds for a testimonial.

Could you even imagine someone on weight watchers etc. feeling that way?

Thank you for sharing your tremendous QUALITATIVE success here!

Reinhard

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:13 am

Thanks for sharing this and congratulations - there is nothing I want more than to have this peace of mind about food and eating behaviors, so this really does give me hope!

Tombo

Post by Tombo » Thu May 10, 2018 12:18 pm

Thanks for sharing, it is great that No S has had positive psychological effects for you :D