Ouchy Back

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
slothlike

Ouchy Back

Post by slothlike » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:34 am

Yesterday I was stressed out about work and school and I wasn't really into my workout. Right after I started the hammer seemed extra heavy and I thought that I should use the lighter one, but I didn't want to stop since the timer was running. So I decided to just muscle through it.

I did most of my workout, but I was just going through the motions, mostly throwing the weight around with my my arms and not engaging my core the way I normally do. When I felt a giant rubber band snap me in the middle of my back. It really hurt to move my arms or twist after that.

I took a handful of ibuprofen to get me through the day and a percoset to sleep. I feel better today and can move freely, but I still have a tender spot. I think after a couple days off I'll be able to work out again. I still got up early today to maintain that part of the habit.

The lesson I'm taking from this is to stay focused and keep those abs tight.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:54 pm

Sorry to hear that...

Please lay off the shovelgloving until everything feels 100% OK.

Over time, shovelglove will give you a back like Hercules, but in the beginning especially be VERY careful.

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

Reinhard

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:31 am

Thanks. After the first day it didn't hurt, it was just sore, like I had worked hard.

So I worked out again today, but I stayed focused on my movement and keeping my core tight. I feel better now than I did before I worked out. It really felt good to work up a sweat and to loosen up my muscles. I would have worked out again yesterday, but I told my wife I'd take at least two days off.

I believe what your saying about a back like Hercules, after just three weeks I've lost my slouch and that minor day-to-day back ache that most middle-aged guys have.

-ted