Weakling girl doing shovelglove movements with a 2 lb hammer

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Weakling girl doing shovelglove movements with a 2 lb hammer

Post by Sweetness » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:32 am

OK you can laugh if you like :lol: I have some neck and shoulder problems and I'm a bit weak. I also don't want to invest in a sledgehammer 2 weeks before we fly to Mexico for the winter. Better to buy one there. That being said, I did all the "Canonical" movements as best I could with my 2 lb metal hammer. 14 minutes... Was it easy? Yes. But it did get my heart rate going, and I can feel a slight burn in my arms. I also didn't hurt my neck or shoulder! :roll:

I did find myself wishing the hammer's handle was longer, and I seriously would like it to be a bit heavier, but its a start. When I get to Mexico, I'll see what I can find. :wink:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:02 am

Sweetness, why should we laugh? You have valid reasons for what you're doing. What's more important, is that you are doing something!
SG is great fun, as I'm sure you've noticed by now - keep up the good work.
Our bodies are our gardens to which our wills are gardeners - Shakespeare

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi Sweetness, It's nice to see another Minnesotan here, even if you come from the wrong side of the river :D

I would guess that shovelglove with a light weight would be rehabilitative on your neck and shoulders - it's strengthening and gives you a range of motion movement.

If you went to a old-fashioned hardware store they could put a sledgehammer handle on your hammer. Is S&S Hardware still around? They were always nice. 2# will feel heavier at the end of a long handle, so you might want to stick with that for a while anyway.

Have fun.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Hoeka wrote:Sweetness, why should we laugh? You have valid reasons for what you're doing. What's more important, is that you are doing something!
SG is great fun, as I'm sure you've noticed by now - keep up the good work.
Thanks, It is fun, and I can do it in my house.
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:29 pm

slothlike wrote:Hi Sweetness, It's nice to see another Minnesotan here, even if you come from the wrong side of the river :D

I would guess that shovelglove with a light weight would be rehabilitative on your neck and shoulders - it's strengthening and gives you a range of motion movement.

If you went to a old-fashioned hardware store they could put a sledgehammer handle on your hammer. Is S&S Hardware still around? They were always nice. 2# will feel heavier at the end of a long handle, so you might want to stick with that for a while anyway.

Have fun.
Thanks, look who's on the wrong side of the river. I do love Minnesota, esp. in the spring, summer, and fall! Beautiful day today!! May do shovelglove in the yard! :D
Patty