Crazy looks from drivers

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
mattman

Crazy looks from drivers

Post by mattman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:01 am

It makes me laugh how many people drive by as I am walking and give funny/crazy looks. Evidently its ok to run, ride a bike, or walk a dog. BUT.................. do not walk down the street without a dog/by yourself.
two wrongs don't make a right.
But three lefts do.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm

They don't know what they're missing!

mattman

Post by mattman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:31 pm

yesterday i did a 90 min. walk/run combo. It felt good being outside for a while. My legs only feel a little tight today. Not too shabby.
two wrongs don't make a right.
But three lefts do.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:33 am

I started watching Mad Men, and the episode I just wtched the neighborhood busy body is wondering why her neighbor "just walks"? If people walked more they'd stare less.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:53 pm

Nice work, Mattman. I salute your boldness. You are on the front lines of the urban ranger war against sloth. Cambridge MA is pretty much already conquered territory, so I do my rangering in relative safety from funny looks.

Reinhard

TUK

Post by TUK » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:24 pm

I get funny looks all the time. On last Monday, some guy in a car stopped, asking me whether I was hitch-hiking. I work in an industrial complex, and I walk everyday along a 55-mph road. (because there's barely anything else here. Everything is built on the assumption that you get from point A to point B with a vehicle)

When I was Urban Rangering (in the city), I once told one of my colleagues that I just came back from the city centre (~1.5 miles away) by foot and that I was feeling great. The answer was predictable "You should have told me! I live in the center and go home (by car) everyday". He had a funny look when I told him I did this on purpose.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:31 pm

I don't get funny looks. Walking is considered pretty normal where I live. In fact, our town is pushing to build some greenways (think really good walking paths on disused rail beds or in areas with lots of natural planting) between some of the residential and shopping centers. I'm so excited about it I could pop.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Here's a link to Ray Bradbury's story, "The Pedestrian," about a man considered suspicious because he walks alone in the city. Has a much more sinister feel. Worth the read, I think, after you finish your walk.

http://mikejmoran.typepad.com/files/ped ... bury-1.pdf
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Rachelocity

Post by Rachelocity » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:07 pm

Walking may be weird, but not driving is downright wacko according to some folks! Like the bank manager who had to verify my signature from my government-issued health care card because I don't have a driver's license! He couldn't imagine how I get around. And he was dumbstruck when I told him I manage just fine with good shoes and a bus pass.

I see many recreational walkers in my neighbourhood, which is the downtown core of Montreal. We are all pretty entrenched in our respective walking routines. We wear unsexy sports sandals or sensible shoes, are mostly old enough to remember the Beatles, and we're pretty hardcore!
Everything in moderation, including moderation: Julia Child

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Rachelocity wrote:Walking may be weird, but not driving is downright wacko according to some folks! Like the bank manager who had to verify my signature from my government-issued health care card because I don't have a driver's license! He couldn't imagine how I get around. And he was dumbstruck when I told him I manage just fine with good shoes and a bus pass.

I see many recreational walkers in my neighbourhood, which is the downtown core of Montreal. We are all pretty entrenched in our respective walking routines. We wear unsexy sports sandals or sensible shoes, are mostly old enough to remember the Beatles, and we're pretty hardcore!
How do you handle the winter? I've been to Montreal a couple of times (awesome city, I love it) Once was in the summer and it was fine, but once was over New Year's and the sidewalks were solid ice. I'm guessing that they were not salted or sanded over the holidays.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Rachelocity

Post by Rachelocity » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:39 am

I use Yaktrax, and it's easy to get around because they grip the slickest ice. I also am fortunate enough to live in an area where the snow removal is decent, and my janitor is anal about making sure that the entrance to my building is meticulously groomed.
Everything in moderation, including moderation: Julia Child

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:03 am

I once went on vacation to South Carolina. I needed some cash so I went into a bank to get cash out of the machine. Their only bank machine was outside - a drive-through.
So I queued in between a sportscar and a truck. Imagine the drivers' looks!

Still one of my most amusing "walking memories".
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:07 pm

Eschano -- Very funny/sad. :-)

Would be a great scene in a "fast food nation" style documentary about our correspondingly destructive sedentary habits.

(any aspiring film makers out there?)

Reinhard

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:56 pm

I try to walk at least 1/2 hour everyday. When walking I relax my mind and just enjoy the walk with its scenery.

While walking in my neighborhood, sometimes people in cars flag me down asking for directions. I hate it because the interruption takes me out of my "zone."

I developed a response. Whenever people in a car ask me for directions, I tell them "follow me." They always go away.
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:18 am

In my area you definitely qualify for funny looks when you go by bike when it's below zero degrees Celsius. Today it was about minus 10 degrees and it had been snowing the last couple of days - and some drivers went reaaally slow to have a look at me (and the weather was beautiful, no snow storm, the sun was shining). Okay, I was also wondering what it would be like going downhill (or uphill) on my bike...but all the major bicycle paths had been cleared.
Walking the children home from kindergarten (1.5 km) also leads to a confusion of thoughts here (Has your car broken down, the poor kids, you should have told me, I could have given them a lift - Mum, I think they're really poor they don't have a car) even in summer. And there's so much to discover on the way home, like a mini adventure. Oh well.
Disclaimer (still applicable):
If a person is fairly new to English their English words and expressions are influenced by their mother tongue, so things that might sound impolite to you are not always meant in that way.

Williac

Post by Williac » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:50 pm

I have had the police stop me a couple of times and see if I needed a ride. Now they just shake there heads and wave.