My official commitment to vanilla no S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

freegirl

My official commitment to vanilla no S

Post by freegirl » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:01 pm

This is my official commitment to vanilla no S. My first N day is tomorrow.

If you read my first post, I ‘started’ no S last Monday, but I did not want to fully commit to it. I was afraid that ‘no snacks’ would be too hard for me. So, what made me change my mind?
First, I was inspired by this sentence from the no S book: ‘The most important part is your mind. Once you get that lean and tough, the body will follow’. Then I looked for some scientific evidence why snacking is not good – and I found it.
I read this quote on my Starbucks cup a while ago; it’s more than applicable to no S, too.
‘The irony of commitment is deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life.’

I am counting on your support and words of wisdom!
:D

veggirl1964

Post by veggirl1964 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:59 pm

I've been very strict for a couple of weeks now, and the "no snacks" is getting a little easier. The first week, I kept hearing my mom's voice in my head from when I was a kid, "NO, YOU CAN'T HAVE A SNACK, IT WILL SPOIL YOUR DINNER - GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN! NOW! IF YOU WANT SOMETHING TO CRY ABOUT, I'LL GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO CRY ABOUT!" I don't actually yell at myself like she did, but it got me through the first week. :)

determined

Post by determined » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:20 am

Snacks are the hardest part of this for me too. I keep telling myself that nothing will taste better than how being healthy will feel. It's still a struggle, but I know what a slippery slope snacks are to me. I have to be strict or I'll find myself having to climb back up that slope again....and I'm tired of doing that over & over & over....

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:54 pm

The thing is, you can have snacks. You just have to wait until an S day to do it. That's entirely different than never having snacks again. It really helped me to be able to say to myself, "you can do that, just not now", rather than "you can never do that again".

freegirl

Post by freegirl » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:21 am

Here is my upate. I had four green days in a row. I call them green even though I have a small snack in the evening. So, I guess I am not really following vanilla no-S. But, what I am doing works for me perfectly. I am able to stay with my hunger before the next meal without reaching for snacks. I am much more emotionally stable. Maybe one day I will get rid of my evening snack, maybe not.

determined

Post by determined » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:50 am

freegirl...this is a wonderful update!!!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh