Noob workout and narrative.

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Crafty

Noob workout and narrative.

Post by Crafty » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:13 am

So new to the whole idea of working out as a daily thing, but what really strikes me about this is the "Useful Movements". It's genius. I love it after only a week. Thought i'd post up as motivation and to get feed back.

Note: I don't have a sledge. Should I keep this going til new years i'll buy myself an 8-10 lbs. I am using TWO 24" bar clamps with the jaws fully retracted together at the far end. These are then wrapped in a pair of old khakis that the crotch ripped out on, and secured with 16 gauge copper wire. About 8 lbs all told but the handle is steel, not wood, so the center of mass is much closer than it ought to be.

So as far as the movements go, I've strung together a narrative that combines my interest in power generation technology and surviving the best of all apocalypses, ZOMBIES

Here are the motions. Each is per side and the list is only done once.
25 Shovels
20 Side-Swing Wood Chops
20 Over Hand Wood Chops
20 Flip Curls
20 Coal Stokes
20 Butter Churns
20 Canoe Strokes.

My narrative involves shoveling a path to a tree, felling it, and dicing it up to fuel sized chucks. Then you throw the chunks (flip curl) over to the furnace and load them in (Coal Stokes), and work the bellows (Butter Churn) to liven up the fire. You then prep a steam engine's cams and gears by hand cranking them through (Canoe Strokes) before the fire is fully roaring, making it a faster start up to heat your fortress. Did I mention this all goes towards heating and powering your last final refuge against the sea of brain eating un-dead that now roam the lands? Anyway, now that you have power and hot water, reward with a hot shower and get off to you day of killing the dead!

Suggestions? Comments? Mainly what i don't know is how to increase this out to 14 minutes slowly. It'a about 10 now, but the narrative really falls apart if I start over, and i don't wake up easily, so the narrative is pretty essential to the whole process. Also if anyone has a suggestion to tack on the end that involves killing zombies as an exercise, I'm all ears! ...or eyes. huh, that metaphor breaks down on a forum...
Sometimes anti-social, always anti-fascist.

koopa

Post by koopa » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:49 am

You can do the fireman to simulate bashing in zombie skull....that should get you to 12 minutes.

Driving the fence post to fix defences after the zombie attack. Get you closer to 14....

marcuscat

Post by marcuscat » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:39 pm

I like "scratch the back" It works the triceps really nicely. As for the narrative. You could be loading supplies into your backpack