SG from a teenager's perspective (plus hammer weight guide)

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
pantheon

SG from a teenager's perspective (plus hammer weight guide)

Post by pantheon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:17 am

Hi, I stumbled upon this site months ago and was pretty skeptical, but intrigued. This month, I got pretty tired of the gym so I got my sledgehammer 2 days ago and man, do I love it!

My favorite part is the freedom it gives. Before, I would have distinct days for each muscle group and go through them robotically. Now, I just do whatever the fuck I want for 14 minutes daily. I've given the movements funny names like "Shove it in her cunt" and "Jerk off" (guess the original names). I actually find myself disappointed when the timer goes off because it feels so fast. I'll have to add more minutes in the future because pretending to smash stuff with a sledgehammer is just too fun.

I highly recommend SG to any forum lurker tired of the gym grind. It's plenty intense and leaves you with the same "burn" you'd get from the gym.

One thing I obsessed over was choosing the weight of my first sledgehammer, so I'll help the lurkers.
If you've done some lifting before, a 12 pounder feels just right.
If you're not sure about 12, a 10 pounder would be a great place to start.
6-8 if you're a girl or World of Warcraft addict.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:04 pm

Hi Pantheon,

Welcome to shovelglove and the board -- sorry for my delayed response, I've been using most of my everyday systems time puttering around with the habitcal mobile app.

I'm glad you're enjoying shovelglove so much and thanks for the charming movement names ("Shovelglove, Larry Flint Edition," perhaps?) and tips for the world of warcraft set.

Reinhard

koopa

Post by koopa » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:40 pm

I guess I fall into the WoW addict, as I started with 8 lbs... sad times.

Even though I haven't shugged in awhile, got myself up to 12 lbs before I started and finished P90X. I'm going back to the sledge now, as I am giving myself a break before doing another round of P90X.

12 LBs seems much lighter now ;P