haha im a healthy loser....meaning i have no idea

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Darcy shea

haha im a healthy loser....meaning i have no idea

Post by Darcy shea » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:37 am

hey hey yea i know two posts in a row is dorky :oops: but hey. ok so like i have no is=dea what good foods are like i know you need bread but isnt too much not good and i know you need salt but only a little. sugar is bad but how do i doge it its in everything!! what the heck they say you need to eat more pasta but doesnt it turn into sugar in your tummy? and (this is embarassing) what ARE calories and carbs what do they do?

hey im only 13....ok so it is kinda old enogh to know....... and i dont know this stuffffffs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:57 am

Hi Darcy!

We grown ups don't know all this stuffs either!
Don't worry..
The rules here are simple and it's almost better that you don't know about stupid carbs and calorie counting..
(Incidentally, a "calorie" is a unit of body heat which is required to burn fuel.. the more fattening and harder something is to "burn" in our bodies, the more calories of heat it takes to do that.. So calories are just units that measure how much energy is needed to burn a source of food fuel..)

So just eat three plates of food that is balanced and reasonably healthy, and let yourself enjoy whatever you want on the S days!

You aren't the only thirteen year old I know who is doing NoS...
Unofficially, my friend Jools daughter, who is also thirteen, has been doing it... She lost about 15 lbs.... Didn't need to lose much, but the great thing is that she is forming good eating habits and laying off on the candy and sodas that, in the long run, would have made her gain weight as an adult..

Good luck!
Don't worry about being a "dork".. If writing more than one post in an hour qualifies a person as a dork, then I am the grand dorkess of dorkland!

LOL..
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

(Boy what fun it would be to be thirteen for just one day! :wink: )

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:06 am

Welcome!

First i want to say don't get "good" foods confused with "diet" foods. a lot of diets tell you that certain foods are bad, or carbs are bad, etc. There is no one food that is bad for you, it is the amounts that you eat it in that is bad. for example, a brownie isn't bad for you if you eat it once in a while in small amounts...but if you eat a pan of brownies every day, then it's a problem.

healthy foods include:

whole wheat breads (not because white bread is evil, but because wheat bread has more vitamins and is better for your body)

fruits are also good (fresh fruits are best, but frozen is good too as long as it isn't full of sugary syrups...check the ingredients..it should say what fruit is in the package and nothing else)

and yes, veggies! this doesn't have to mean salad or spinach...pick the veggies you like and eat them..experiment if you need to...there are no bad veggies! :D

dairy is also good for you...milk, yogurt, cheese.

you can eat pasta, nothing wrong with that. salt is ok too, and so is a little sugar...basically on No-S you are getting rid of the bad snacks that are salt filled, sugar filled, and fat filled during the week...but you can have these things on your S days...just in moderation....in other words, don't sit down with the bag of potatoe chips in your hand and eat mindlessly, but instead try getting a small bowl or plate to put you chips on in order to help you be aware of just how much is going into your body.

Deb is right, eat the things you enjoy for your meals and have treats on your "s" days....i would suggest that you make your meals good ones...don't grab a piece of toast on the way out of the door in the morning...but rather sit down and have a meal such as non-sugary cereal with fruit (oatmeal is good), or some toast with peanut butter and fruit, or eggs, or even leftovers from the night before is ok...just make sure it is fitting on one plate.

as for sugar, it is ok to have sugar in your oatmeal or tea or something like that...just don't dump a whole cup of it on!

wow! hope i haven't overwhelmed you! feel free to post anytime you have a question...we have some champion posters here who are good at answering questions.

good luck! :D :lol:
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."