Worlds Healthiest Foods

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

hlidskjalf

Worlds Healthiest Foods

Post by hlidskjalf » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:46 pm

In an attempt to find something sane to eat I ran across this site:

http://whfoods.com/

It pushes lean meats and nutrient rich produce and grains.

Well at least it was a nice change of pace for me and the usual Southern Fried Cajan fare with Bacon you get around here.
Burn all, burn everything. Fire is bright and fire is clean.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:35 pm

Hey D!
I was *just* thinking about you this afternoon, and wondering if you would pop in here again at all...
How's that for psychic!? LOL.. :lol:
Hope all's well... :)

I tell you, living in the South, you really have to counter your culture to eat healthy..

Still working that graveyard shift at the hospital?
How's their food?
Still horrible?
LOL..

Take care,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:55 pm

Good to see you here again, hlidskjalf, and thanks for the link.

My take on nutrition is sort of the opposite: reduce your consumption of the world's least healthy foods. These are usually screamingly obvious.

I don't worry about whether blueberries are better than pomegranates or vice versa, or what are the relative merits of amaranth vs. quinoa. If you eat a variety of fruits, veggies, minimally processed proteins, and whole grains, I don't think it matters very much what the individual constituents are. Buy what you like, buy what's in season, buy a variety. I know this flies in the face of all those nutritional gurus who need secret miracle foods to impart to stay in business -- but that's precisely why I don't trust them. Nutrition is an easy problem, much easier than managing quantity. And you don't have to make it all or nothing. Start by swapping out just a few unhealthy defaults for something better.

My approach to nutrition is kind of like the index fund approach to investing. You're probably not going to beat the "market" with individual picks, but you can spend a lot more time agonizing over them.

Reinhard

navin

Post by navin » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:59 am

know this flies in the face of all those nutritional gurus who need secret miracle foods to impart to stay in business -- but that's precisely why I don't trust them.
While that's true, many reputable nutritionalists and so forth back you up on this - the "Wellness Letter" mini-magazine I get has been saying this kind of thing for years.
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

ceu

Post by ceu » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:49 am

the menu section has some great ideas.