Urban Rangering Indoors?

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
losingforgood

Urban Rangering Indoors?

Post by losingforgood » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:54 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I so hate walking in cold weather or in rain or snow. So, for the past few weeks, before I joined No S, I decided to climb my stairs (5 reps up and 5 down for 10 total reps) on the days when I only do cardio, and then 3 reps up and 3 down on the days when I do strengthening. When I get finished, it feels like I just had a good 15 minute power walk. Does that count for URing? :D :?:
I Corinthians 10:13-14; "No temptation has ceased you except what is common to man..."

koopa

Re: Urban Rangering Indoors?

Post by koopa » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:44 pm

losingforgood wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but I so hate walking in cold weather or in rain or snow. So, for the past few weeks, before I joined No S, I decided to climb my stairs (5 reps up and 5 down for 10 total reps) on the days when I only do cardio, and then 3 reps up and 3 down on the days when I do strengthening. When I get finished, it feels like I just had a good 15 minute power walk. Does that count for URing? :D :?:
Any walking for purpose counts towards URing. Good job at keeping active. 15 minutes of stair climbing is 15 less minutes on the couch!

losingforgood

Urban Rangering Indoors?

Post by losingforgood » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks. The 10 laps up and down only TAKE about 2 or 3 minutes. But they FEEL like an intense 15-20 minute power walk during and after. It's actually been making my 15-20 hike uphill to my bus stop (when I don't get a ride to the bus stop) much, much easier to handle in my breathing. Plus, onthe few really nice days I've had, I've gone to a nearby park and walk/ran the 1 mile track. I wouldn't have even CONSIDERED running at all before the stair climbing, because even the power walking has not strengthening my lungs and breathing the way stair climbing has. I can run/walk the first 1/2 mile right now, and am working up to being able to run the whole first 1/2 mile. I know Urban Rangering is NOT about being able to run. But really, for me, there's a runner deep down inside my heart of hearts, and it's been trapped by the sloth and the doubter in me. I know on the days when my energy is really at its optimum level, I start walking and something in me wants to take off. But I'm taking it slowly, building up the ability to do so. I can't wait until the warm weather hits for the spring. I will be walking and running alot more. With the days getting longer, I will also have more time in the evening to get outside and walk or run if I didn't get it in during the day. Just to be able to move again without crashing, is such a wonderful feeling!
I Corinthians 10:13-14; "No temptation has ceased you except what is common to man..."

koopa

Post by koopa » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:24 pm

I used the UR to track my running when I did the couch to 5K program. UR is whatever you make out of it! The forum is supportive regardless.

If you are interested in becoming a runner, I strongly suggest doing that program. I did it last year, and I still run today!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Feel free to check out my postings that I did on it as well, might be helpful for you!

losingforgood

Urban Rangering Indoors?

Post by losingforgood » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:39 pm

Koopa, thanks! I'll check it out promptly. My biggest concern is that I'm more sensitive to cold than I used to be, so I do my outdoor exercise during the warm weather seasons. I will need to do something in addition to stair climbing during cold weather, to keep my endurance up when I'm not running. Stair climbing is good, but I like a variety of alternatives so that I don't get bored when I"m stuck inside. I can't afford a gym right now, so that's out for the time being.

losingforgood

Urban Rangering Indoors?

Post by losingforgood » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:51 pm

Sounds like a good program, but right now, the length of time it suggest that I run during each running segment, is too much for me. I'm taking such baby steps right now, because I'm recovering from some very personal traumas that left me exhausted, so I have to take this in even smaller steps, to build up strength and endurance. The track I run/walk has exercise posts that have signs for each post. I don't know how far apart each post is, and some may be farther apart from eachother than others. But I've been running to one post and walking to the next and so forth for the first 1/2 mile, then walk the other 1/2. I don't think it takes 60 seconds to get to each post, though.

koopa

Re: Urban Rangering Indoors?

Post by koopa » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:27 pm

losingforgood wrote:Sounds like a good program, but right now, the length of time it suggest that I run during each running segment, is too much for me. I'm taking such baby steps right now, because I'm recovering from some very personal traumas that left me exhausted, so I have to take this in even smaller steps, to build up strength and endurance. The track I run/walk has exercise posts that have signs for each post. I don't know how far apart each post is, and some may be farther apart from eachother than others. But I've been running to one post and walking to the next and so forth for the first 1/2 mile, then walk the other 1/2. I don't think it takes 60 seconds to get to each post, though.
My suggestion would be to run for time, not distance. The program for time assumes that you can run a 10 minute mile. Unless you are in decent running shape, a 10 minute mile is out of the question for most people. When I was done with the program, it took me 42 minutes to run a 5k.

So all in all, at the end of the program, you would be out there for 40 minutes. 5 minute warm up walking, 30 minutes running, 5 minute cooldown which, is still baby steps. If you are run/walking a mile track, you are out there for about 20 minutes anyways. If 20 minutes is your goal, modify the program to only go 20 minutes instead of 40, there is no rule that says you have to follow everything to a T!

losingforgood

Urban Rangering Indoors?

Post by losingforgood » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:36 pm

Koopa, that makes sense. My regular workouts can vary from 20-40 minutes, depending on what I'm doing, so I will see what works for me. Right now I WALK a 20 minute mile, if all I'm doing is walking. I think I've cut it down to 18 with what little running I'm doing now, so a 1/2 mile of nothing but running might actually take it down to 15 minutes if I walk the other 1/2. Which, would mean that when I AM running a full mile, it would probably take about 10 minutes. I'm not giving myself a time frame of when to reach each distance goal, either. I'm really paying attention to what I can handle each time. In handling, I don't just mean handling it during the workout. I also mean how well I get through day-to-day activity outside of my workouts, as well. If I'm stronger throughout the days and weeks, then I increase, but if it tends to drag me down, then I stay where I am until I'm stronger as a result. I am concerned about running on concrete. There are so many beautiful areas to run near where I live, but it requires running on sidewalks and streets. I heard that's the WORST thing you can do to your knees and other joints, even with good shoes. Any suggestions?

koopa

Post by koopa » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:08 pm

The biggest suggestion would be to just do it and see how it goes! When you were 12, did you worry about your joints? NO! So if you are going to run for enjoyment (and health benefits) now, why worry about it?

For people that pound the pavement 20-40 miles a week, this becomes more of a concern. If you are not looking to be a hard core runner, I wouldn't worry about it until you become a hard core runner! (I now log about 15-30 miles a week, depending on how I feel. I would have never believed that a year ago)

But, there are things you can do to mitigate such things.

1. Practice midfoot or forefoot running. Basically, don't have your stride fall on your heel. Google "chi running" for more information on this.
2. Buy good running shoes. Replace them after 4 months. Since finances are a concern, this becomes more of a problem. Dropping 100 dollars every 4 months is a little annoying, but it makes my back and knees feel a lot happier. Happy knees = happy running.
3. Barefoot running or minimal shoe running. This forces you to do fore-foot running style, and helps your joints. I personally don't do this, but I know several people that do.

fwinter

Post by fwinter » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:40 pm

What about investing in a HRM? All you then need to do is follow a low heart rate program (such as by Stu Mittleman or Phil Maffetone) and you can run/walk injury free.

Usually 180 - age will be your max heart rate.

Personally, I find that I can only really walk with some running on downhill stretches before I go above my HR, but so what? I'm not competing or anything but I am getting the best of both the walking and running worlds without ever feeling beat up.

With practise this would allow you to Turbo UR (walk with some running), without ever overdoing it - you heart rate will always prevent you!

koopa

Post by koopa » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:32 pm

fwinter:

The problem that I have with HRMs is that you can naturally have a higher heart rate when performing things than what is suggested. For example, my heart rate while running can get up to 180 which is too high according to the charts. I feel fine and can have a conversation while running, which are other indicators that you are running too fast. HRMs should be used as a tool, but like everything else, should not be the deciding factor if you are pushing too hard or not.

This is especially true when starting a running program. Until you are in better shape, I think HRMs should be used as a secondary tool, and not a primary one. In order to go long distances, HRMs are key, but to run a mile, I just don't think its required.

Just me though ;)

Bill