1-Year No S / Shovelglove Testimonial

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Diego

1-Year No S / Shovelglove Testimonial

Post by Diego » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:37 am

Introduction

Male | 36 y/o

I started the No S Diet and Shovelglove one year ago, circa Halloween 2021. I’ve stuck to each habit – 5 days “on”, 2 days “off” – with rare missed/skipped days for one full year.

No S Diet

10-2021 – 165 lbs.
10-2022 – 160 lbs.

It took me four months to lose “just” five pounds, but – at 6’2” – my BMI was already “normal” when I began. (I didn’t start the No S Diet to become thinner-- only healthier.)

Plateau:

I haven’t lost weight in the past eight months, but – as a thin guy – I don’t want to!

Tweak:

1. My weekly “S Days” are Wednesday and Saturday. I’ve never tried to make things work any other way; I’ve assumed that I wouldn’t be able to stick to “eating healthy” five days in a row.

Shovelglove

10-2021 – 2 sets of 7 reps (all movements) with an 8-lb hammer
10-2022 – 2 sets of 9 reps (all movements) with a 12-lb hammer

It took me three months to “upgrade” to 2 sets of 9 reps with a 10-lb hammer, then another two months after that to “upgrade” further to 2 sets of 9 reps with a 12-lb hammer.

Plateau:

I haven’t gained any real strength in the past seven months. (Just maintaining!)

Tweaks:

1. My weekly “S Days” are Wednesday and Saturday. I’ve never tried to make things work any other way; I’ve assumed that I wouldn’t be able to stick to “working out” five days in a row.

2a. I do all this outside-- by force! (Small apartment.) Contending with the elements sucks.

2b. Seeing as I’m outside, I don’t wrap the sledgehammer. (At risk of hitting only myself!)

3. I do two sets of nine reps for each movement, rather than two sets of seven.

4. I finish each set with 18 squats, holding the sledgehammer against my back.

Conclusion

I’m in the best shape of my life-- or damn close to it!

"No S" is incredibly simple, and I recommend it often.

Amy3010

Re: 1-Year No S / Shovelglove Testimonial

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:48 am

Wow, Diego, it is great to hear about your success and consistency - it sounds like you have really made No-S work for you! Thanks for sharing!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:35 am

Congratulations on your success, consistency is key

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:25 pm

Congratulations Diego. Your 'small' weight loss certainly much better than the weight gain so many of us experience in our thirties. And as you say, from your height and weight you are already thin. Keep up the good work.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:09 pm

Diego,

Congratulations on your no s / shovelglove success and thank you for sharing!

I always love hearing the details on how people make these things work for them (outdoors, different S-days).

So good you clearly have the "maintenance is more important than progress" mindset.

Reinhard

Diego

Post by Diego » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:20 pm

2-Year Check-In

Male | 37 y/o

No S Diet

10-2022 – 160 lbs.
10-2023 - 162 lbs.

No real changes to the habit; no real changes to the results! What seems to make "No S" easiest for me is to take WED and SAT as my "S" Days.

Shovelglove

10-2022 – 2 sets of 9 reps (all movements) with a 12-lb hammer
10-2023 - [ditto]

No real changes to the habit; no real changes to the results! I now finish each set with 22 squats, holding the sledgehammer against my back.

Conclusion

Consistency is key! I think the only real "difficulty" I've had with "No S" and/or Shovelglove over these past two years arose earlier this very week, when I came down with a case of COVID; even then, I simply claimed two extra S-for-"Sick" Days. Pivoted right back to an N Day yesterday 8)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:26 am

Thanks for letting us know how you're getting on - well done! The sign that a habit is truly ingrained is when something throws you off of it temporarily, like getting sick, and then you get right back into it afterwards. :mrgreen: