Reinhard's Sample Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Reinhard's Sample Check In

Post by reinhard » Tue May 17, 2005 4:06 pm

I'll do this for three weeks just to give an example. "Day 1" is actually more like day 1001, but you get the idea.

Every day for 3 weeks I'm going to post a reply to this topic to update how I did. I'm not particularly worried for myself, but just want to give an provide an example for beginners. Feel free to start your own daily check in topic.

[edit by Justin: I've made this topic sticky since it's the sample.]
Last edited by reinhard on Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 17, 2005 4:12 pm

Day 1 (yesterday): SUCCESS. A little bit of funny stuff because we had a dinner with the neighbors and there were some coordination issues (the chicken was done about 2 hours after the potatoes), but my virtual plating skills are excellent at this point.
Last edited by reinhard on Fri May 20, 2005 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue May 17, 2005 5:34 pm

Checking in on Day 13. My plates are not so full as they were when I began; not sure if the appetite is decreasing, or if I am just not so concerned about hunger. I have discovered that if I balance my meals with protein, starch, and fruit/salad/vegetables, then it is satisfying for a longer period of time and I won't be tempted to snack.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 17, 2005 8:13 pm

Jan, that's great news. Try starting a new "Jan's Daily Check In" topic. That way you have one page you can go to to get an overview of how you're doing.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue May 17, 2005 9:23 pm

Will do. :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed May 18, 2005 11:15 am

Day 2 (yesterday): SUCCESS. No funny stuff. Except given the recent bread discussion in the main no-s forum, I guess I should mention I had soup for dinner with a piece of bread that obviously didn't go on the plate without vertical stacking.
Last edited by reinhard on Fri May 20, 2005 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 19, 2005 1:39 pm

Day 3: SUCCCESS. No funny stuff (same bread and soup issue mentioned yesterday)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 20, 2005 11:26 am

Day 4: SUCCESS. Funny stuff: paper plate pizza dinner involved some vertical stacking (funny how relevant recent topics in general discussion have been).

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon May 23, 2005 1:53 pm

Sorry for the delayed posts... was traveling.

Day 5: SUCCESS. Funny stuff: we stopped at our favorite roadside diner (we're fond of the name, too) for lunch and I actually ordered something with the word "platter" in the title.I thought of samurai's recent post on the subject of platters, and how apropos that whole thread has been for me this week. But this was an old time diner, and it was really more of an oblong plate than a giant multi-person serving platform. In terms of surface area, it was actually less than the plates I use at home. Don't get me wrong, it was a lot of food, but far less than the deceptively labeled platter-plates samurai talked about.

Day 6: S-DAY

Day 7: S-DAY
Last edited by reinhard on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 24, 2005 12:59 pm

Day 8: SUCCESS. More soup and bread.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed May 25, 2005 2:11 pm

Day 9: SUCCESS. Yet more bread and soup (my wife is sick, OK?). Some funny stuff at the hospital cafeteria where we were on account of my daughter's upcoming surgery. Because of the way they served stuff, veg was on a separate little plate from the spaghetti and meatballs.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu May 26, 2005 1:26 am

Dear Reinhard,
I hope your baby has a quick and successful experience and am sending out all my prayers for her to recover and heal! I hope you and your Wife handle all the stress involved and take care of yourself!
Hope your Wife gets well soon too!

Best wishes for your daughter.
Love,
Debbie

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 26, 2005 9:30 pm

Day 10: SUCCESS. Nothing remotely funny to report about wednesday. Thanks for your prayers, Deb. I'm confident she'll be fine -- it's all routine stuff (for the doctors, for us it's terrifying!).

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu May 26, 2005 9:45 pm

What's happening with your daughter? I will pray for her when I go to Church this evening.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 26, 2005 9:50 pm

Tethered spinal cord. Easy stuff, for neurosurgery, but it's still neurosurgery. Should be no long term effects. Thanks, Jan!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri May 27, 2005 12:50 am

It may be easy stuff for neurosurgery, but it's awfully tough on Mom and Dad. I will offer a Rosary tomorrow morning, and ask Our Lady Health of the Sick to protect her.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 27, 2005 1:20 pm

Thank you, Jan!

Day 11: SUCCESS. More soup and bread. I don't think I've ever eaten this much soup and bread in my life as I have since I started this daily check in.
Last edited by reinhard on Sat May 28, 2005 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri May 27, 2005 10:04 pm

Dear Reinhard :D
Please don't eat soup this weekend!!!!! :P
(unless you really want to)
Best!
Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat May 28, 2005 12:02 pm

Day 12: SUCCESS. Nothing funny to report, not even soup.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sun May 29, 2005 10:31 am

Day 13: S-DAY (and how).

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun May 29, 2005 11:26 am

"And how" :?: So...what did you do? :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon May 30, 2005 5:09 pm

A lot. Among many other things: ice cream, "tea biscuits," cookies. But I don't worry at all about S-days.

Day 14: S-Day.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 31, 2005 10:59 am

Day 15: S-Day (memorial day)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:24 pm

Sorry no checkin for a few days, my daughter had her surgery tuesday and though completely successful, it was a little distracting :wink:

Day 16: SUCCESS. Funny stuff: more hospital traying issues.
Day 17: SUCCESS. Too tired to remember if there was any funny stuff but I don't think so.
Day 18: FAILURE. :evil: Shocking, huh? You didn't think this diet log would be so interesting. The diet guru should at least *pretend* to be able to stick to his own rules, right? This is almost as good as 24. Here's what happened: I'd resisted countless cookies and pastries that friends had brought over to the hospital, but when my mother in law presented me with half a tartlet and my wife gave me the ultimatum "Don't be a fanatic. Eat this or my mother will be offended" I was too overtired to think of a suitable evasion. "Thanks so much, I'm full now. I'll have it later" would have done just fine, but it occurred to me a few hours too late. I could have counted today as an S-day (still in the hospital with my daughter, "surgery" is an S, as my wife pointed out), or swapped for a weekend day, but I since I'm keeping this log here, I want to play it as strict as possible, just as I recommend for beginners. A FAILURE actually comes in handy... as a demo for what I assume is the majority of nosdieters who take more than one attempt to get the habit down (believe it or not, the realization that I could put a useful, positive spin on this failure was a nice, lubricating excuse in deciding to fail).

A couple of things to note about the experience:

1) S just doesn't taste as good on N days. This was exactly the kind of thing I get for myself as a special treat on S days but I just couldn't enjoy it as much (I won't lie, I did enjoy it some). Guilty pleasures can't hold a candle to virtuous ones (if they really are pleasures).

2) I stopped with the half tart I felt obigated to eat. I didn't say "Since I'm now in failure mode I might as well take advantage and plow through the bags of treats other people brought..." What stopped me, besides mere common sense? For one thing, the disturbing lack of pleasure mentioned above. For another thing, point 3 below.

3) The fact that I knew I'd have to fess up here played a role in the above mentioned damage control. I might not have been quite so graceful a loser otherwise. So start logging, lurkers. It really helps, even old pros like me.

As I recommend for others but have never actually done myself (till now), I'm going to reset my success count to 0. When I get to 21 days on habit, I'll count myself re-habitualized. I'll preface my new entries with a "B" to make it clear that I'm on my second attempt. I really, really don't expect a "C" or "D" round, but that would be the idea.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:05 pm

I'm glad that the surgery was successful. Hope your lives get back to normal now.

Thanks for the "True Confessions" post. After the week I've had, I really needed to read that. I will be starting over again myself.

Begin. Continue. Repeat.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:41 am

Day B1 (Friday): SUCCESS. First day on second attempt (hence the B). FYI: to color code your success/failures just highlight the word and choose the appropriate color from the "font colour" menu right above. Silly? Human beings are silly creatures. And it does make it easier to see when quickly scanning. I'll go back an retrofit the color coding onto my previous entries at some point, to provide a better, more consistent example.
Day B2: S-DAY I'm going to make my S-DAY indicators orange instead of the more metaphorically appropriate traffic light yellow because the yellow is too hard to read (and orange is close enough).
Day B3: S-DAY

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:29 am

Day B4: SUCCESS

Kevin

aren't you being too hard on yourself?

Post by Kevin » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:08 pm

A restart for one failure due to social grace?

I wonder if all the soul searching and thinking you put into that one half a tart shows just how strong your habit is. Doesn't the exception you made in a weak moment prove the rule of will?

However you count it, good luck and I'm glad your family is well.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:30 pm

Kevin, honestly, if I weren't keeping this "exemplary" log I'd just have swapped for an S day (or taken a "Surgery" S day). But given that I am keeping this log, it's a rather convenient failure. I do think the first 3 weeks are best without any funny stuff, and since that's where I'm pretending to be for this log, it's best to stay in character.

Kevin

Got it.

Post by Kevin » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:13 pm

Got it. I forgot the context - you're being a beginner.

I'm still not going to do a restart becuase I ate two cucumber slices while I was cutting up making dinner the other night.
Kevin

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:18 am

Day B5: SUCCESS. Yeah, I'm playing newbie. You're right not to sweat the cucumber, Kevin. One has to taste a little when cooking (and cucumbers have like negative four calories anyway).

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:12 pm

Day B6: SUCCESS

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:45 pm

GOOD WORK!
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:02 am

Day B7: SUCCESS
Day B8: SUCCESS Funny stuff: I ate the other half of my baby daughter's avocado at dinner without strictly speaking having allocated for it on my plate. I'm going to write this off as borderline and just be careful not to do it again.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:11 pm

Reinhard!
Welcome to the wonderful world of nibbling off our babies plates... :lol:
For stay at home parents it is, in fact, not borderline at all, but a daily temptation which usually keeps a post pregnancy Mommy from dropping pounds... I think it's a really hard one to resist, because the mentality of "I don't want this food to go to waste" pops up, and then, lo and behold, the caring parent turns into a human "waste disposal'...
Thanks Reinhard for posting this... I guess it's not just a womens/mommy issue... Men do it too!
Avocado? That is so healthy and full of good fats, and soft too!... I'd imagine it's helpful for her CNS... Also, best to introduce green food early, so she loves it later in her adult life :D
Glad she is eating well and feeling better!
Love and Peace and Guacamole,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:24 pm

Somewhat off-topic... even though I have no children, I definitely have the mentality of not wanting anything to go to waste. If it's on my plate, I'm almost certainly going to eat it! That is often a problem for me, sometimes I'll finish of the plate even if I'm not really that hungry.

There was an interesting article about vermi-compost in the newspaper (using worms to compost). I may try to set upa good composting pile or even an indoor worm box (assuming I can make it such that it doesn't stink and attract bugs), so I can dispose of any food and instead of it going to the landfill, it becomes worm food and ultimately nice fertlizer... a much better destination than my gut. :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:47 pm

Ha ha Navin! You are funny :lol:
If you do start to compost, make sure you only bring dates to the house who don't have olfactory receptors in their noses....
Worms and cats!? What next? LOL...
:wink: Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:42 am

Day B9: S-DAY
Day B10: S-DAY
Day B11: SUCCESS Funny stuff: did some fast and loose virtual plating with strawberries and cherries at dinner.

You're right Deb, I can see this becoming a bigger issue as she starts eating more stuff that I'm capable of eating, too. Funny you should mention the composter, Navin, my neighbor recently got one for the house.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:16 pm

Day B12: SUCCESS
Day B13: SUCCESS (more baby avocado, but this time I budgeted for it)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:16 am

Day B14: SUCCESS
Day B15: SUCCESS I'm wracking my brains, but no funny stuff whatsoever. How dull... No S Diet version of the ancient Chinese curse: "May you have an interesting diet blog."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:58 pm

Borrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnng!!!!!!! :P
Hey! Where's those new pics for 2005?
Time for you to make a NoS/Shovelglove calendar!
I'd buy one!
Then we could check off days and admire your abs :lol:
If Life Insurance companies can make them, so can you...
Love,
Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:21 am

Reinhard, I'm reading people's weekend postings with their No-S success and ... you are the man!!! How did you come up with such a bright idea!?

I'm not just using rhetoric to praise (although there's that, too) ... I really want to know just how you thought of it ...
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:12 pm

The origins of the no s diet are shrouded in mystery. Seriously, I came up with it before I started logging everything into my microcassette recorder so I don't quite remember. I'm pretty sure my wife (who's not on the diet) came up with the critical "S day part," but neither of us is 100% sure anymore.

The 2005 "after" is coming. Had to order some props and they're on the way.

Day B16: S-DAY
Day B17: S-DAY with a capital S. I don't think I could have eaten more if I'd been trying to break some kind of record (though I have to admit my record breaking capacity is considerably less than it used to be). But I've discovered over the years that an S-day like this now and then just doesn't matter. I enjoyed it, it's perfectly legal, and I'm not worried. One only gets one first father's day, right?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:09 pm

Day B18: S-DAY My wife's and my mother's birthday (I know, very oedipal). But I was good (I had to be, after yesterday's excESSES): only one small (ok, medium) piece of cake for each, other meals as N-days and nothing in between.

Advance warning: we have a wedding to go to Friday. I don't actually know the couple that well (my wife does) so I feel funny about taking an S-day for it, particularly since I already took a "Special" S day this week and it's going to be the magic final day 21 of rehabituation, but I think it would take a vulcan to resist S at a wedding so I'm just going to going accept that fact up front and make it officially S. Since, frankly, I'm a little essed out, I'll swap for Sunday, keep my daily check-in going till then, and end this rehabituation with a bang.
Last edited by reinhard on Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin

Happy First Father's Day...

Post by Kevin » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:55 pm

I'm pleased for you, Reinhard. I don't even remember my first Father's day (my daughter is 14, my son is 11). Heck, I barely remember this one and it's only Tuesday...

Maybe in a year or so I'll feel light and confident enough to blow it completely on an S day. Until then, I'm savoring the small concessions.
Kevin

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:10 pm

Day B19: SUCCESS Thanks, Kevin. You're doing the right thing. I wouldn't be as utterly confident as I am without a few successful years under my belt. It is nice, though. I never could have imagined that it would be like this. Guiltless eating is nice, but fearless eating is unbeatable.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:01 pm

GREAT point Reinhard! Once we live through a couple dozen weekends and realize that if we stick to one or two Sses without gaining back much, if not nothing/anything, it really does take away that fear... Fear of being out of control... Fear of going back to the old ways which we no longer wish to be part of our lives....
I am assuming that you meant "fearless" in that sense... Correct me if I'm wrong.
Love, Peace and Respect!
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:21 am

Day B20: SUCCESS. Yes, Deb, that's exactly what I meant. The old ways are gone, not lurking around the corner. This isn't just me pep talking myself, and I did have old ways and they did used to lurk. It's wonderful.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:15 am

Day B21: S-DAY The wedding I warned you about. So what to do here now that I've hit the magic 21 days of habituation? I'll stop posting here daily, since success is assumed. I'll just post funny stuff such as:

Day B22: SUCCESS: Saturday, but switched with yesterday because I've already taken one non-weekend S-day this week and I'm a bit essed out. Also, a much nicer note on which to end this run... Switches like this are not something I'd recommend doing too often because they can confuse things and become excuses for failure, but every now and then they have their place. Might as well demo an advanced move like this here, right?

If funny and "advanced" stuff is in too short supply (as I hope it will be), I'll post here at least once a month or so just to let you know the status quo still holds. I'm not worried for myself about backsliding, but since this is a "sample"check-in, I'll do it because it could be a good thing for others to emulate; it'll keep them honest with very little tracking effort, and provide inspiration to others. Maintenance, after all, is the real issue in diet, and though I hope no essers can more or less take it for granted once they solidify the habit, that's asking a lot of a newbie to take on faith. A dull monthly "still doing it, nothing to report," becomes invaluable evidence.

P.S. Sorry that between weekend luddite and travelling for this wedding I've gotten a bit behind on responding to posts. Will amend shortly...

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:03 pm

Funny stuff report: this is probably funny on the side of virtue, but I'll report it nonetheless. When S days come, they come not single spies, but in batalions. The week after father's day, my wife's birthday, and my mother's birthday, it was my father in law's birthday. I was in no mood for another S day, so I tried my best to keep it N, short of giving offense. We took him out for dinner and the meal went fine -- except when they brought out the birthday cake at the end. I couldn't say, "dad, I like you and all, but you're not S-worthy" so I had the cake and counted it as an S day. All in all, better than another full on S-day.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:23 pm

It sounds like you are paying homage to that Seinfeld episode with Elaine and her box of sponges! LOL.....
Cute :D

Hey Reinhard,
After three years at this, I am very impressed at your continued self discipline!!! Some survey said that quick loss diets (which this isn't) will often revert to gains somewhere down the line, and they mentioned 5 years as the average time time zone when that gain may start to creep up again... The guard is down....
I have a feeling you will not be one of those people who go back and gain again.
Hopefully too, for you and all the rest of us, one wonderful day, we will be able to have N and S days coexist peaceably without fear of S spies or battalions, and a deeply rooted totally automatic NoS Modus Operandus which no slice of cake can shake!
Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:56 pm

Confession: I went out to dinner with a friend last Friday and did some rather poor "virtual plating." If I'd been in my 21 day trial period, I would have marked this a failure. It wasn't a particularly enormous amount of food, but poor discipline. It's funny that the only temptations to which I'm not completely immune at this point are social. I can face down any bag of chips, box of cookies, etc., but human faces still sometimes get me. I'm going to make a point of handling this better next time -- or you'll read about it here.

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:19 pm

Sorry you had a hard time, Reinhard. Isn't it a pretty well-established sociological fact that people tend to eat more in social situations than they do alone? In any case, if this was your first slipup since July 6, I'd say you're doing fine. At least your weak spots have been narrowed down to one!

BTW, I just bought a couple things from Amazon using the link on your NoS page. Hope you get a little $$ from it.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:31 pm

Reinhard:

As I have posted before, Friday night can be really tough, especially if you're going out. Thanks for admitting to us that you are a fallible human.

Also, thanks again for this site. It really has been a Godsend for me.

Dru

P.S. I'm glad Ariel reminded me that I need to shop Amazon through this site. Buying books from Amazon is one of my favorite positive non-food habits. :D

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:40 pm

Nothing funny since last post.

I did take a "Special" S day last week for our anniversary, but it was textbook perfect: I only essed for the "special" observance itself. We went out for dinner to one of our favorite restaurants and I had an appetizer and dessert. No esses till then (and way too full to even consider it after).

I'll continue to post non weekend S days just to give an idea how many of these I take (and to keep me honest!).
Last edited by reinhard on Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:59 pm

Happy anniversary Reinhard and "Mrs. Reinhard"! :lol:
Hope you had a great time!!!
Also hope your daughter enjoyed it! Did she get to go?

Oh, by the way, I finally saw that little link you stuck in to your blog a while back.. the one for your favorite local diner... Yes.. I like that name too! :P

So, does "Reins" have good kasha varnishkes? I saw their specialty is Kishke! I love that junk! With lots of gravy....Though you need to immediately take Lipitor as a chaser afterwards! :wink: In my humble opinion, NY Jewish Deli's just aren't what they used to be... I still remember a time, in the late seventies, when you could go to Katz's deli, on Delancey street, and get a pastrami sandwich that couldn't be beat... Then all of a sudden, every single worker in there went from being guys named "Chaime" and "Shlomo" to a full kitchen staff of guys named "Jose!" LOL....
Tex Mex Deli???? Hmmm, was never quite the same again... Gotta have the genuine Eastern European "artery hardening" article!

Love,
8) Deb

JWL

Post by JWL » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:09 am

OK, so I've spent some time searching and for the life of me I can't find Reinhard's blog. Do you mind posting a link? I'd love to read Reinhardbloggage...
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:25 am

Oops! My bad Freakwitch.. I said blog, but I was referring to his check in...

I'm not real fluent in computer-ese....
Sorry...

But I agree, it would be fun to read blog from Rein..
Whatever blog is!
Peace,
8) Deb

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:54 pm

"blog" is short for "web log", Deb, just FYI. Blogs are generally used for people to write lengthy journal entries about their lives in general, whereas these personal check-in threads are primarily about one aspect of people's lives. If Reinhard had a blog, I'd certainly read it (but no pressure Rein! :wink: )

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:09 pm

Ha ha! Then I guess I'm really blogging on my check in! LOL...
I sure am lengthy! :P
Yeah, we all would read Reinhards blog! I bet this is how it would start:

"It was a typical day... I had my oatmeal, petted my cats, and swung my shovelglove while changing a diaper..."

See ya Ariel girl!
Love and Peace,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:40 pm

I think technically these daily check-ins could be considered blogs. They are web logs of a kind, after all. They're just very narrow in subject and made without specialized blogging software.

That being said, it's probably safer not to refer to them as blogs just because people assume the specialized software and will get confused.

I don't have one of these regular blogs because I prefer to focus my limited energies on more finished sites like everydaysystems on the one hand, and brain dump without scruple into my tape recorder on the other (which I guess I could call an "offline podcast," if I wanted to get digiterati about it). :wink:
Last edited by reinhard on Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:03 pm

Last week I took three vacation days to travel visit family for my daughter's first birthday. Her birthday, friday, was clearly an S day, and I took it. So I had two murky vacation days to decide how to handle. The first went brilliantly, I managed to pull off a perfect N day. But the second I had to take as an S-day -- again, social pressure. This doesn't officially count as a failure, and I'm not at all worried, just reporting here for full disclosure. It'll be interesting to tally up after a year how many non-weekend S days I wind up taking.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:30 am

Thanks for the full disclosure! LOL...
We appreciate your honesty with us Reinhard!
I truly hope in another year or so, I can look as wonderful as you!
I think you should post another picture soon so people can see how slim you look this year!!!
I'm telling you you look totally chiseled!!!
Once it cools off, I am so totally going to add walking to my regime...
Richard and I live so close to the school he goes to now... Only three and a half blocks... I will set hours at the club that will leave time for me to walk there... It's about 2 miles each way... I really know that I have to move my ass more if I want to lose more... I am getting really sedentary...
Well, back to you!
I hope you have a good N day tomorrow and then...
Woo hoo, party!
Oh, since I'm in a writing mood, and you are in a disclosing mood, I was wondering if you could list some of the S's you love to have on S days...
You know... "Reinhard's top ten S's" kind of thing...
Not ones that were forced on you by social obligations, etc... Or "sabateur" tartletts! LOL...
Are you a chocolate or strawberry guy?
Vanilla? LOL....
Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:50 pm

I had a three "special" S day week last week, all completely unavoidable.

Monday: Hosted friend's birthday party.
Thursday: visited family in Germany I hadn't seen in years.
Friday: big birthday party for my aunt and 90 blood relatives.

I'd considered doing some weekend swapping, but my relatives were too eager to stuff me with Kuchen (and it was just too good). It was too short, intense and unusual a time to get into all kinds of weird excuses.

Tried a magnificent new food I never knew existed: Metz (not sure if I'm spelling this correctly). It's steak tartar, except pork. In other words, raw ground pork (spread on bread, topped with raw onion). Wonderful, but not to be recommended (except for trichinosis lovers) back home in the states. Our meat inspectors just aren't as thorough.

Picture coming soon, Deb... can't procrastinate with the same clear conscience now that I've started harassing others for their "before and during"s.

As for strawberry vs. chocolate, is anybody not a chocolate guy? I have heard of (though I do not understand) people not liking strawberries, so I guess it's information if I say I like them too. I like pretty much anything that's well prepared and fresh. I can't think of a single kind of food that I don't like, assuming it's done right. I guess that is a little unusual... I've never actually met someone with tastes quite as ecumenical as mine. Even people who say "I eat everything" usually have a few exceptions if you quiz them. Oh, I guess I'm not crazy about aspic (sort of a salty jelly used in French cuisine). But I'll eat it if it's put in front of me, and I'm willing to believe I could be convinced to like it but someone who's chef enough.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:26 pm

Wow!!! Raw pork????????????
You are one brave man.....
LOL....

I like pate, but not the aspic stuff either...

Glad you had fun in Hamburg eating Kuchen and catching up with your family! Sounds like a great weekend!
Love,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:52 am

I'll also eat just about anything, but there are definately a few things on my list of 'could eat this, but wouldn't necessarily choose to, given the option'. Sheeps eyeballs...? Snails...? Bring it on! Marmite spread...? Ugh. Can be eaten, but really not my personal taste.

Glad you had a good time visiting the rellies. Are you going to teach your daughter some German, or will she grow up only in English?

C.
CaroleJo

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:46 pm

Raw ground pork... oh holy frijoles... *hurl* Um, glad you enjoyed it though :P

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:23 pm

Carolejo, I love snails....
As long as they aren't still moving around!

Yummy... Saute them up in a bunch of butter and garlic!!!!
Drool.....

Sheeps eyeballs???? What are you??? Mrs. Shrek???
LOL....
I'll pass this time CJ.... :lol:

I also think I'll pass if anyone out there offers me "Prairie Oysters"...
Carolejo... Have you ever had those?
Heh....
Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:00 pm

Alright, Enough Already!!!

You guys are beginning to sound like "Fear Factor"

Like, gag me with a spoon :shock:

D.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:12 am

How typically Valley Girl of you Dru!!!
Hee hee!

Love,
8) Deb

gj

Post by gj » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:07 pm

Do you mean "Mettwurst"? It's made from raw pork, but smoked & cured. Yumm.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:28 pm

Hiya Deb,

Er, no. Those kinds of sweetmeats taste OK I guess, but they're on the list of 'could eat but it doesn't *have* to be, ie, "kann essen, muss aber nicht".

I'll see your prairie oysters and raise you a Thai ducks' feet soup!

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:31 pm

Hey!
As long as they're not still flapping around.....
LOL...
Have a great weekend!
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:30 pm

I made a mistake, it's Mett, not Metz (or Mettwurst, though that also sounds delicious):

http://www.marions-kochbuch.de/index/0763.htm

I'm going to try to bring my daughter at least 1.5 lingual, since my German isn't quite perfect (as evidenced by the above) and that's probably the most I can hope for.

In other news: I took an S day for labor day Monday. Despite the summer glut of S-days, I'm still averaging less than 170 pounds (my stable/ideal weight). I think I've got the habits so down now that any little disturbances like this in the equilibrium balance out pretty quickly.

gj

Post by gj » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:18 pm

Huh, I'd never heard of that before. Funny I know the sausage but not what it's made of ...

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:28 pm

I'm not trying out the "Hackbraten vom Blech"
Somehow it just doesn't sound like it would be good!

LOL...
Love,
:P Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:55 pm

Nothing funny to report since last check-in.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:40 pm

Ho hum!
LOL..

This diet is so boringly effective!!!
Love,
8) Deb

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:34 pm

Good morning our lovable leader!
Saw you browsing there so I just wanted to wish you a great day! :lol:

So, have you taken on your brother, Obtuse, in any arm wrestling matches this year? LOL..
Hope you have a lovely weekend with the fam!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:46 pm

Thanks, Deb.

Obtuse and I haven't faced off in a while. I think we're afraid of the damage we could do to each other at this point.

In other news: I had my first surprise S-day yesterday (early birthday party). Being a few days early, it achieved genuine surprise, and finagled an extra S day for me (my actual birthday is on Sunday).

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:31 pm

Hey Reinhard,

Just wanted to say

Happy Birthday

I hope you get some Star Wars Lego!!!!

XXOO Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:37 pm

Okay everyone... Party at Reinhards place tomorrow!!!
LOL..
8) Deb

CarrieAnn

Post by CarrieAnn » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:30 pm

Hi Reinhard,
This is late in coming but hope you had a WONDERFUL birthday :!:

CarrieAnn :D

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:43 pm

3 Special S days since last check-in.

2 for rosh hashana
1 for yom kippur (a fasting S day!)

We celebrate both Jewish and Christian holidays, so let no one complain that they have too many holidays to lose weight!

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:17 am

1 special S day since last check-in (Halloween). Nothing to report otherwise. 16 to 20 pound shovelglove upgrade proceeding smoothly.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:23 am

So when are we getting to see your 2005 photo with your three shovelgloves all in a row???
LOL..
Love,
8) Deb
(Who just had a very late dinner of oatmeal with soymilk and butter and thought of you!)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:41 pm

Hey, I've still got over a month to procrastinate on the photo!

No funny stuff or non-weekend S-days since last check-in.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:50 pm

Oh all-wonderful-leader,

Set up your computer camera this weekend and get your daughter to film you standing with your Shovelgloves....
Can you make a quicktime video of you saying hello to us all???
I would love to hear your voice! :lol:
But this time,,,,
Please don't stand 20 feet away from the camera!
LOL..
Ha ha ha...

Have a great day Reinhard!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

PS... I am not unfamiliar with the Procrastination Demon! :twisted:
I too, hope to have a new photo in a short time, but I'm really waiting on my friend to send me those before photos from the Summer of 2004.... Now that's someone who knows how to procrastinate!!!
Come on already!!!! It's taking forever!!!! LOL...
You will be flabbergasted! :wink:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:49 pm

2 non-weekend S-days since last check-in: Thanksgiving and the day after.

I know I said that's not a good idea, but I had off, was visiting family, and didn't want to seem like a fanatic when people asked "today is an S-day, isn't it?"

I'm not worried or disappointed for myself, but I would have liked to have been more exemplary. I guess I'll have to settle for "approachable" and "human" instead :wink: .

In other funny stuff, I must admit to some excessive tasting during the run up to thanksgiving (we started cooking on Monday). Also last week pretty much went to hell as far as shoveglove was concerned. Again, none of this concerns me for myself because I know it's anomalous, but the Pelagian in me is sorely disappointed.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:11 pm

Hey whoever this Pelagio dude is, we all still think you are the best example to follow on the planet!

Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:20 pm

1 non-weekend s day since last checkin (and not a particularly impressive one): for my daughter's holiday party at day care. They were building gingerbread houses, etc., you'd have had to have been a saint.

Otherwise, no funny stuff. I think the cold must be burning off extra calories (or maybe it's the 20 pound sledge). I'm averaging around 165. Didn't know I had any fat left to burn.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:51 pm

Hi Reinhard!
Most guys who do serious weightlifting supplement their normal food intake with a muscle recovery drink filled with amino acids...
Your 20 lb Shovelglove *absoulutely* falls into the category of serious weight training...
You may just be at the point where some muscle *wasting* is happening...
I highly doubt you did have any fat left, especially after viewing that super skinny picture of you from a few months back with your curly haired partner in front of the genome project... Wow, you be super slim!!!
And if you did, it would only be the healthy protective kind...
You may really want to consider including a healthy muscle maintenence shake in your day... They aren't all laden in sugar, and some of them are supposedly good tasting...
Samurai and a few of my friends at the gym mention something called
Joes Muscle Milk, I think???
For someone around six feet tall I would say 165 is almost going too low for your build...
Well... You know me... I care very much about our beloved leader and his health..
Glad you had a fun time with your lovely family building ginger bread castles!
Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:56 pm

Don't worry deb -- eating more has never been a problem. And I can think of plenty things more appetising than a chalk-shake, if extra calories are really necessary. Wow, great to have graduated (maybe, I'm still not quite convinced) to the opposite problem I started with!
Last edited by reinhard on Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:11 pm

No need to have any chalk shakes :wink:
But if you have some more carbs and something which gives your muscles the aminos they need, you won't burn up your great biceps at the mercy of your mighty new SG!
Yes congrats on graduating to your new healthy, ultra slim self!
Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:17 pm

Non weekend S days since last checkin: Christmas day and new years day "observed." No other funny stuff besides the occassional inspirational bite of baby food (pear gerbers is good! wish baby thought so too...).

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:02 am

No other funny stuff besides the occassional inspirational bite of baby food (pear gerbers is good! wish baby thought so too...).
Thats so cute Reinhard! LOL...
Try out Beech Nut... Not sure about Gerbers these days, but when I was researching out the best baby foods around when Richard was a little guy, Gerbers had a fairly high added sugar rating... Beech Nut didn't add any additional sugar..

Hey what about a nice slice of ripe pear? Does she have any chompers yet? LOL... I would guess so since she's 16 months old...

Have a wonderful week!
I am still thrilled from that last photo, to see what a jock you are turning into these days with your arms of steel!
Rahhhh!!!!!!!! LOL..

Peace and Love,
Deb

Oh, ps... I rented Aparajito on DVD the other night.. I finally saw that guy doing the "Indian clubs" down by the Ganges river...
Whoa!!!!! Those must have weighed close to 100 lbs if they were concrete...
He looked pretty hardcore..That move would be pretty interesting with a SG.. I'd be scared to death to try it out! LOL...

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:54 am

Non weekend S days since last checkin: Martin Luther King day.

No funny stuff.

Chinese blessing: may your checkins be as boring as mine.

Deb, I don't know if you know but Aparajito is part of a trilogy. They're all wonderful, but the third one "The World of Apu" is my favorite.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:34 pm

I've been kind of sick since last check-in, but no-s was good (except for some riccola lozenges and ginger ale). On top of my virus, I had some really bad nosebleeds last week, so unfortunately shovelglove is on hold for a bit. Getting very antsy...

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:42 pm

Hope you make a rapid and full recovery.

Get well soon!
C.
CaroleJo

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:09 pm

Reinhard, take care of yourself. I hope you get well soon. Best regards, Bob
Health Is The Greatest Wealth