Reinhard's Sample Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:49 pm

I almost forgot: Wed August 5th: no s diet S day (my older daughter's fifth birthday).

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:51 pm

Friday August 28th: worst day in a long time. Insane work stress let to 3 drinks over the limit glass ceiling violation (de-compressing with co-workers), missed shovelglove, and missed tasks.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:34 pm

Sat Sept 12: weekend luddite failure. Desperately trying to find a number for a play date to escape being cooped up in the house in the rain with two whiny children :-)

This has been a really tough 3-4 weeks -- work stress has been through the roof. I've had to adjust the number of tasks (particularly in the routine column) on my daily cards in response to this. This is why I haven't been able to be as active on the boards as usual... looking forward to things calming down soon so I can be my usual task-ful bulletin board attentive self again!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:23 am

It's been perfect storm of stresses these last couple of months -- and unfortunately that's likely to continue for a bit. No-s and glass ceiling have been fine, but I've missed a few days shovelglove and weekend luddite (dates pending -- most are in my habitcal already) and "tasks" has been very spotty (I need to fundamentally rethink my "routines"). Off to shovelglove now...

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:40 pm

Boy, it's been a while. Things are still pretty rough, though on the mend. No-s has been flawless. Shovelglove nearly so. Weekend luddite has gotten better. I've been so strapped for time that blimit hasn't even been a temptation, so I may remove that habit from being tracked. I've been keeping the daily cards, but I still haven't figured out a reliable new minimum "star" system for tracking task success. I think I may just ditch the quantitative minimum for now as long as I get everything done.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:43 pm

Awwww I'm sorry Reinhard!!! I didn't realise you weren't well.
Hope you all better very soon!!!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:31 pm

Thanks, Deb! I'm well, physically. Just a lot going on family-health-wise etc.

I don't know if I'm going to get around to retroactively qualifying all the NWS and red days I've habitcal-ed here the last couple of months, but I'm going to start picking up again at least.

Friday Dec 11: NWS day for no-s and shovelglove (first night of Hanukkah). I make a mean latke :-)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:38 pm

Fri: Dec 18 no-s and shovelglove NWS day (last night of Hanukkah)
Thu: Dec 24- Frid Dec 25 no-s and shovelglove NWS days (Christmas eve and Christmas)
Fri dec 25: glass ceiling failure. 1 drink over the limit.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:22 pm

Dec 30: shovelglove NWS day (vacation)
Dec 31: shovelglove and no-s NWS day (new years eve)

I've started tracking "tasks" again for 2010 after a three month hiatus. Took me a while to figure out a new "routine" column but I feel pretty good about what I've come up with.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:23 pm

Hi Reinhard :)
I hope your "tasks" tracking is going smoothly, and hope you and the Family are well.
If it's possible, can you change my "Debs Daily Check-in" thread to "Debs Check-in"... I'm not using it daily, but don't want to start a new one, since I've had that one for a few years now, and want to keep it going.
If you can't, don't worry.
Have a great week my friend.
8) Debs x

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi Deb,

Thanks, things are going much better!

"Tasks" are going OK, but not perfectly (just about to tabulate my January cards in the habitcal).

I went in and renamed your check in thread.

Hope all is well with you and Richie,

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks Rein :)
I'll say hi to Richie for you.
He's doing fantastically this year! Been very good during the week and *much* more picky about whether to have or not have a snack or treat.. He's passing on a lot of junk these days.
Over the last six months he's gone down almost three inches from his waist as a result!
I hope he pops in and says hi at some point. He was saying how he feels like telling you about it, but he's been pretty busy with school and music etc, so I figured I'd let you know for now :)
Have a good week.
8) Debs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:52 pm

That's great to hear, Deb (sorry about my way delayed response).

Resolved: I'm going to start fessing up reds and yellows in this thread again instead of "batch processing" them once every few weeks. Not only because I forget what the reasons were, but because there's less of a disincentive if the day of reckoning can be postponed.

Here's my attempt to account for the last few weeks of red and yellow:

Jan 18: Martin Luther King day (shovelglove and no-s s-day).

Jan 29: shovelglove S-day (hospital S-day -- my younger daughter had a "spell" and had to be taken to the hospital. She's fine, but in the chaos there was no way shovelglove was going to happen)

Feb 15: President's day (shovelglove and no-s s-day)

I had a couple weekend luddite failures in this period (one in January, one in February so far) but I can't remember exactly why (something to do with way too much work).

I also had a bunch of task failures (9 in January, 4 in Feb so far). I still haven't quite figured out a satisfactory routine for my new circumstances (new responsibilities at work, new school routine for the kids, family medical issues). I think renewing my commitment to fess up reds here immediately will help clarify my thinking on this matter. :-)

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:31 pm

Thursday Feb 18th: took an S-day from shovelglove and No-s to enjoy a fancy dinner and a movie at a friends'. A little borderline, I guess, but when you get out as infrequently as we do, it's cause for celebration :-)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:04 pm

I'm going to officially exempt skype and itunes from weekend luddite (at least, until the kids can figure out how to skype grandma and grandpa and play "the sound of music" without my help :-)).

Reinhard

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:59 am

Yeah for skyping grandparents on weekends :D :) :lol: :wink: !!!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Thanks for seconding my decision, Grammy G. :-)

Feb 23,24: Tasks failures. No special excuses. Just overwhelmed.

Feb 25: No-s and shovelglove S-day (funeral). Glass ceiling failure (2 drinks over the limit -- small drinks, but still).

March 1: tasks failure. Fell asleep one task short while tucking in my wife.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:01 pm

F March 12: Tasks failure. Just got a little overambitious with work tasks.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:14 pm

Sunday March 21: weekend luddite failure. Playdate coordination required email. Well, maybe not "required," but I preferred a red square to awkward explanations.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:39 pm

Friday March 26: glass ceiling failure. 2 drinks over the limit. Work social engagement followed by a private one.

Monday Mar 29 - Tues Mar 30: Passover S-days for nosdiet and shovelglove and even weekend luddite (religious obligation to drink "4 cups of wine" :-)).

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:49 pm

Friday April 2: shovelglove S-day (good friday).

Sat April 3: glass ceiling failure. 2 drinks over the limit (had drinks at dinner with family and then later with friends -- these multiple social events in one day are tricky to navigate)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:43 pm

Thurs April 9: shovelglove and tasks failure. Came home late and just completely forgot to shug.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:30 am

Fri Apr 10: For some incomprehensible reason I decided that for my bon voyage outing for my previous job I should suspend glass ceiling for a night and just relax and enjoy. Well, let's just say that it's precisely for such occasions that glass ceiling was created. Led to shovelglove and tasks reds as well.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:19 am

Sat April 11: Weekend Luddite failure. Damage control emails resulting from the glass ceiling failure.

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:55 pm

reinhard wrote:Sat April 11: Weekend Luddite failure. Damage control emails resulting from the glass ceiling failure.
The mind reels at the possibilities! :shock:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:43 pm

Everything turned out fine. It was one of those "you remember it worse than it was" situations. So purely a personal disappointment. But a disappointment nonetheless -- my first significant "glass ceiling" failure since I started back in 2002. But I feel pretty confident that it won't happen again. I'm going to use it as an excuse to tighten up "vanilla" compliance -- as careful readers of my check-in and habitcal may have noted, there have been a bunch of minor slip-ups that I think paved the way for this biggie.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 07, 2010 8:04 pm

Tuesday May 4: No-S and shovelglove special day. My oldest friend was in from Paris to celebrate his birthday.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 20, 2010 9:05 pm

Wednesday May 19: shovelglove failure. We were out late at a play starring a good friend's father. My wife and I fell asleep while lying in bed trying to determine whether this was a sufficiently special occasion to constitute a shovelglove S-day. I'm going to call it a failure because a) I never arrived at a conscious decision and b) no offense to my friend's dad (he gave a great performance, by the way -- go see him if you're in the Boston area!), but there was no real compelling reason for me not to squeeze in 14 minutes of exercise.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Monday May 31: Shovelglove and No-s special day (Memorial day)

Tuesday June 2: Tasks failure. First in a while! Just got a little overambitious with work tasks and fell asleep while tucking in my wife. I've been doing a simplified 2 column (work/personal) N-daily punch card for the last two months or so and it's been working great (full story pending).

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:42 am

I just wanted to pop in and say hi to you Reinhard :)
That's cute that you tuck your wife in! :mrgreen:
Hope you're well :)
I've just recommitted to *ultra* strict NoS and am finally focusing on adding exercise.. Hope I'll have some nice updates in a few months!
Have a nice weekend!
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Deb! Hi back to you and Richie.

Yes, things are going well again after a very rough spell last fall and winter.

Good luck with the ultra-strict no-s!

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:14 pm

Sunday June 13: weekend luddite failure. My brother came up from NYC to do some preliminary shooting for a shovelglove-HD video. This involved some diddling on the computer. For a good cause, I think, as I hope I'll soon be able to show you, but still red.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:09 pm

Thursday June 24: glass ceiling failure. One drink over the limit. Would have been easy to avoid -- was out with two fellow daddies who aren't exactly hardened drinkers. Oh well.

Tuesday July 6- Friday July 9: No-s Special days. I was in Madrid for a conference. I don't know if I'll every be there again, the food was fantástico, and I don't get to travel much so I figured I'd just in indulge.

Wednesday July 7- Friday July 9: Shovelglove Special days. I walked so much in Madrid and was out so late that I though I'd give myself a few days off. I'd call it "vacation" except I also spent 8 hours a day in conferences. Didn't sleep a whole lot!

Wednesday July 7: glass ceiling failure. I was at the official conference dinner, watching the Spain-Germany word cup semi-final, and the waiter kept refilling my wine glass while I was absorbed in conversation or the game. Not sure quite how much over I went, but go over I definitely did. Nothing disastrous, but unambiguously red.

Friday July 9: glass ceiling failure. It was my last night in Spain. This time we limited our consumption to cervezas so I can at least quanitify my failure (4 drinks over the limit). It was over a period of many hours and I had so much tapas as ballast that I didn't feel too much effect, but still, rojo.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:56 pm

Thursday July 22: No-s and shovelglove special day: our ninth wedding anniversary.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:48 pm

Happy wedding anniversary for yesterday, Reinhard!
9 years together is very S-worthy indeed. 8)
C. xxx
CaroleJo

RacyOne

Official Day One

Post by RacyOne » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:44 pm

I have been getting used to the No S plan for a week or two. So much easier than I thought it would be. I am counting today as my first official day. 149 lbs. I want to get to 125lbs by December 1. I am going to write everything down for a few weeks to make sure that I am not gorging 3 times per day. So far I haven't been but I am just going to play it safe. :lol:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:27 pm

Thank you, carolejo! Glad to see you here. Hope things are going well.

Welcome, RacyOne! If you want, you can start your own daily check-in thread and record everything there. It's a good way to get at least the feeling of accountability, which can be helpful.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:22 pm

Thursday July 29th: glass ceiling failure. 2 drinks over the limit. Going away party for a friend. Nothing disastrous, but red.

Friday July 30th: another going away party for another friend and another 2 drink over the limit glass ceiling violation.

Saturday July 31: weekend luddite failure. work deadline + shovelglove video.

Sunday August 1: weekend luddite failure. See above.

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:11 pm

The sun will still rise...

Thanks for posting your REDS. It's nice to know that our guru isn't perfect, but still slim.
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

kickinthehabit

Feeling shaky

Post by kickinthehabit » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:06 pm

I started no "s" last Friday and had a great first day. I even made Saturday a no "s" day. I took an S day Sunday and had dessert. All in all a very good day even so. This morning I feel like I made a boo boo and I am disappointed. I had a chocolate chip muffin for breakfast and as I was eating I was saying "this is a sweet, why are you doing this?" But I did it anyway. Can I call a sweet muffin no "s"? Doesn't seem right. Glad I found this no frills, simple straightforward, make sense plan!!!!!!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:30 pm

Welcome, kickinthehabit.

I'd skip the sweet muffins going forward, but you can grandfather in that last one if the rest of your day was fine.

August 18-20 No-s and Shovelglove vacation Special days. I took vacation N-days Monday and Tuesday, so that more or less fit my goal of splitting extended vacations 50/50 between N and S days (rounded up).

Friday August 20: glass ceiling failure. 2 drinks over the limit. Our last night in the Berkshires (and the last episode of the Wire!). Felt like it was worth a little red.

Saturday August 21: weekend luddite failure. Scrambling to get something ready for a work demo. Worth it, I hope, but red.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:59 pm

More vacation last week.

I adhered to my 50/50 vacation rule with no-s and shovelglove.

No-s "special" vacation days: Aug 31, Sept 2
shovelglove "special" vacation days: Aug 30, 31

I also had some minor (but frequent) glass ceiling violations.

(I was traveling spouseless with the kids and my willpower was pretty depleted at the end of the day.)

August 28, 30, Sept 1 (2 drinks over the limit each of these nights)

Reinhard

philagirl

just starting today

Post by philagirl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:54 pm

Hello all I just started today. I have a great friend Machelle who also started this way of life this month so we are encouraging each other.
Day one is a success for me.
Hope to report that for each and every day! thanks :D

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:13 pm

Welcome, philagirl!

This is turning into a very NWS-y month.

Friday the 17th (erev yom kippur, shovelglove and non-weekend special day)

Sat Sept 18th: weekend luddite failure. Part confusion because I was fasting and didn't have that bounding breakfast, and part scrambling to meet a work deadline (using yom kippur to justify a violation of shabbat? doesn't sound very kosher :-)).

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:16 pm

Ah, almost forgot:

Thursday Sept 16: glass ceiling failure (3 drinks over the limit, one was at lunch).

I'm going to officially allow myself to do "time zone shifting again" because it seems I've had more problems with glass ceiling since I've been off it, however dubious and shady it sounds. It gives me a kind of "second ceiling" incentive to keep minor slip-ups from becoming routs.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:49 pm

Friday Oct 1: nosdiet and shovelglove NWS day. My birthday "observed." I'm not normally into taking an s-day for your birthday when your birthday already falls on an s-day, but my wife and daughters were set on "surprising" me and what kind of evil dad is going to tell his 3 year old, "sorry, I can't eat the birthday cake you got for me today."

Thursday Oct 7: Shovelglove failure. I was feeling pretty lousy and I guess I could have counted this as a "sick" s-day, but it was kind of borderline. I managed to drag myself into the office and so presumably could have done 14 minutes of something.

Monday Oct 11: Columbus Day (No-s and shovelglove nws day)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:17 pm

Thursday Oct 14: Tasks failure. First in a while! Just got a little too ambitious with work tasks.

Sunday Oct 17: Weekend luddite failure. Work spill-over. Wasn't really necessary.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:40 pm

Sa Oct 23rd: glass ceiling failure (2 drinks over the limit). No harm done, but no real excuse.

Fri Oct 29th: shovelglove failure. 5 hour drive to NYC knocked me a little off schedule.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:14 pm

Friday Nov 5: No-s failure (been a while since I've had to report one of those!). At the time, I viewed it as a murky situation and thought I was going to call it an NWS day. We were at a friends house for a fancy dinner and I wanted to be a polite guest. But he's a good friend who knows all about no-s and it would have worked perfectly well on every level if I'd just politely declined the chocolate for dessert. So red. It's been a while, my habitcal can take it. Will keep me on my toes.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:25 pm

Thursday Nov 25: no-s and shovelglove s-day (Thanksgiving)

Friday Nov 26: I know I advise not doing this and I usually don't, but we had the day off and were visiting friends who run a bakery and even I am not that heroic. No-s and shovelglove vacation S-day.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

W Dec 1: Hanukkah S-day (nos and shovelglove)
Tu Dec 7: Hanukkah S-day (nos)

I know I said I only intended to take one of these (and I did!) but it's hard to say no to divinely sanctioned latkes and jelly doughnuts. I was good about limiting my essing to the actual event, at least.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:11 pm

Sunday Dec 5: Weekend luddite failure (can't remember why, but I marked it red in my calendar -- probably work related)

Monday Dec 20: glass ceiling failure 1 drink over the limit. Heated discussion of Macbeth over drinks. Went off track somewhere between the devil porter speech and all that fair-is-foul relativism. :-)

Friday Dec 31: special day for no-s and shovelglove (new years eve). 2 drinks over the limit for glass ceiling. Tough night to be completely virtuous in that regard.
Last edited by reinhard on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:06 pm

Wed-Th Jan 5-6: nasty stomach bug. Shovelglove S (sick) days. No-s was no problem. I barely ate anything.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:57 pm

I'm sorry that you've been ill. I hope that you are feeling better, and that it did not go round the family.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:55 pm

Thank you, too solid flesh. It did go round the family, but fortunately it was very brief.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:00 pm

Sat and Sun Jan 15-16: weekend luddite failures. Long car trip with laptop made it too tempting to squeeze in a little work when I wasn't driving. Lame excuse. Didn't even get that much accomplished.

Sat Jan 22: glass ceiling failure. 2 drinks over the limit. The first was relatively excusable because our hostess refilled my glass (of course, I didn't need to empty it so quickly). The second was totally my fault. Unproblematic in terms of consequences (plenty of edible balast to steady me) but still, unambiguously and rather gratuitously red.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:51 pm

Tues Jan 25: tasks failure. Forgot to call my Dad until it was too late. Missed a work task. It's been a while! This two column version of the daily personal punch cards is working very well.

Sunday Jan 31: Weekend Luddite failure. Work again. Must resist. Not just for the sake of habitcal but because I'll burn out (as I learned the hard way last year). Hold me to this, dear readers. I want some "tsk, tsk"s, shaking heads, and wagging fingers next time I have a red weekend luddite day.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:00 pm

W, Th Feb 2 and 3: two (small) glass ceiling failures (1 drink over the limit each time). Small, but totally avoidable, and damaging to habit. I'm focusing this month on perfect weekend luddite, but glass ceiling is next unless it shapes up without special attention.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:02 pm

Friday Feb 11: spent the night in the hospital with my daughter (she's fine now). There were no sledgehammers handy. So sick-s day for shovelglove.

Monday Feb 14: Valentine's day s-day for no-s. Still shugged because I'd missed it on Friday and what's more romantic than swinging around a sledgehammer?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:10 pm

W. Feb 16: tasks failure. Collapsed into bed before finishing two small work tasks. Didn't quite think I'd fall asleep so fast -- I'd sort of semi-intended to get up again.

M. Feb 21: Presidents day. No-s s-day. I still shugged because what better way to honor our greatest presidents than by simulated chopping down of cherry trees / building log cabins? :-)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:58 pm

F. Feb 25: 1 drink over the limit + one gratuitous swig from a wine bottle. Had a couple of drinks with a friend after work, then found a glass of wine by my dinner plate at home which I not only drank, but decided my wife hadn't filled up quite enough. Bad self-help guru. No "harm" done, except to my soul perhaps. But since I'm kind of attached to my soul, I think now that I've had a month of 100% green weekend luddite I'm going to focus on making March 100% green glass ceiling.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:42 pm

Monday March 14: Tasks failure. Forgot to give my older daughter her medicine.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:23 pm

Alas, my March focus on glass ceiling didn't quite work.

2 (minor) failures to report.

Tues March 22: work related meeting at a bar. Nerves and really good beer led to 1 drink over the limit.

Sat March 26: 1 drink over the limit. Had two beers at book club then didn't refuse that glass of wine my wife poured for me at dinner. Literature is my downfall. :-)

Oh well, looks like this is going to take another month to really get down. On the bright side, my other "problem system," weekend luddite is still going strong since my February focus.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon May 16, 2011 2:24 pm

Friday April 13: Shovelglove failure. Friday the 13th. Something was bound to go wrong, right? :-) Long drive from Boston to southern NJ to visit my dad. Just too beat to shug when I got there.

Saturday April 14: weekend luddite failure. Wanted to show various computer stuff to my dad and brother. It's been a good run, over two months now of no red. Unfortunately I have a presentation next Saturday so I'm going to have to wait another week to start my next streak.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon May 23, 2011 7:20 pm

Cluster of red around a stressful (but in itself, successful) event (a big work presentation).

Friday May 20th: shovelglove and therefore also tasks failure. Too busy prepping/stressing for big presentation saturday to shug.

Saturday May 21: had to make said presentation so weekend luddite was out.

Sund May 22: glass ceiling failure: drank too much to celebrate successful completion of said presentation (~2 drinks over the limit, a little fuzzy because I'm calling some inappropriate tasting of cooking wine a "drink").

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon May 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Glad you had something to celebrate! :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 27, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks KCCC! Among other things I'm celebrating a little more time to tend the everyday systems sites over the summer. I've got a bunch of new systems/podcasts/software tools and tweaks I'd like to push out.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:08 am

Wed June 15: Shovelglove S-day. My wife's birthday observed. I actually managed to keep it a nosdiet N-day, which I'm not sure how I pulled off.

Sa June 18: glass ceiling failure. 2 drinks over the limit. Carousing with my brother in NYC. Lest that sound too exciting, most of this took place while watching a star wars movie marathon on my mother's TV.

Sa June 18, 19: weekend luddite failures. 10 hours with no kids on bus from boston <-> NYC. They had wifi -- too tempting given work backlog.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:55 pm

June 27-29: Shovelglove S days: injured myself doing something totally unrelated on Saturday. Wanted to play it safe so took a 3 day break from shovelglove.

July 6: No S and shovelglove S day. Our yearly work dinner at a fancy restaurant.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:02 pm

July 26: glass ceiling failure: one drink over the limit. Bookclub again.

July 30: glass ceiling failure: one drink over the limit. Dinner guests. Someone poured me a third glass. I might have been able to refrain from pouring one myself, but not from refusing.

August 5: my daughter's 7th birthday. nosdiet and shovelglove s day.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:48 pm

August 15-19: I was on vacation in the Berkshires and ran for my daily 14 minutes instead of shovelglove. Was more like 30 minutes a day, lots of hills. I'd just read "Born to Run" which hugely impressed me and since I was sledgeless thought I'd give upping my running at last for a week a try (more details soon).

August 15, 17, 1 (M,W,F): no-s s days (vacation). All in all, I ate pretty moderately this vacation. I experimented with a new mod "No Solitary snacking even on S-days" which cut out a surprising amount of excess without forfeiting anything I really care about (just scratch and itch, automatic eating).

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:51 pm

August 22: Glass ceiling failure (1 drink over the limit). Book club again. Aristotle's Ethics, of all things!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:04 pm

August 29, 31: No-s s-days (vacation). I was off the whole week but only took 2/5 s-days. Had a bit of a GI bug which made it difficult not to be virtuous.

August 30: Glass ceiling failure. 1 drink over the limit. After almost 7 hours of driving, I was thirsty.

August 31, Sept 1: Shovelglove S days (vacation+sick). I ran every other day for my "14 minutes" (more like 30 minutes)

Sept 5: No-s s day (Labor day).

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:32 pm

Friday Sept 9: Shovelglove and tasks failure. Too tired. Fell asleep.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:44 pm

You are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your plan and for sharing your ongoing maintenance journey. You instill hope in many.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Thank you, r.jean!

Thursday, Sept 29: No-s and shovelglove S-day (Rosh Hashanah)
Tuesday, Oct 4 glass ceiling failure (2 drinks over the limit). Two alcohol lubricated social events in one day. I could have been more virtuous and limited myself to one drink at each, but I didn't.
Friday, Oct 7: No-s and shovelglove S-day (Yom Kippur)
Monday, Oct 10: No-s and shovelglove S-day (Columbus day)

Very relieved it's an N-day today!

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:32 pm

Friday Oct 14: shovelglove failure. Got back late from a rare night out and collapsed.

Monday Oct 17: tasks failure. Somehow just forgot to do a relatively small work task.

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:39 am

Thanks for not only giving us the idea for this plan but sharing your successes and failures with us too. It is as important to show us how to mark it and move on as it is to show us how to succeed.
I'm baaaack.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:05 pm

Thanks, Pangelsue!

Some more "inspiring" stuff to mark and move on: :-)

Thursday Oct 20: No and shovelglove S day (Simchat Torah -- wasn't going to take this but we had guests bearing sweets)

Tuesday Oct 25: glass ceiling failure, 1 drink over the limit. Work social event with ridiculously strong beer (Harpoon Leviathan -- in pint glasses!) that impaired my ability to refuse a third.

Reinhard

it'sElla

Newbie thanks you!

Post by it'sElla » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:24 am

Reinhard,

I have spent way too many hours reading all info regarding Everday Systems and then your posts regarding your daily check in.

You are absolutely awesome and oh, so logical!

Just last night I was whining to a friend that I needed to "learn how to eat" ...you know, like a *normal person*. Your No S is exactly that!

I can see I'll have to figure out meals, sounds bizarre! What have I been eating if it hasn't been meals??? I used to have a weekly menu plan for the family, but I stopped because I was doing a no sugar/refined flour diet and I ate differently from everyone else. Actually, everyone has been eating whatever.

Now it's back to normalcy! I have found the answer to normal eating (didn't even google it...not sure how I found your website) I'm excited to meal plan, cook for the family and eat with the family. I plan on being a strict NoS er with no mods right now. I really need some guidelines and I totally understand how giving myself "flexibility" can be dangerous. Maybe down the road, but not now. I need to get into , follow the rules and enjoy life. My goal is to start shovelglove in two months....one new habit at a time (on top of a career change)

THANK YOU , THANK YOU for the time, energy and effort you have put into your website! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Ella

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:17 pm

Thank you and welcome, Ella! I hope you continue to find no-s appealing (even more so!) once you have some experience with it.

Sat Nov 5 and Sun Nov 6: Weekend Luddite failure. Too much work piling up. Decided to break weekend luddite to catch up.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Nov 23-24: glass ceiling failures. Just one drink over the limit each day and completely drowned in Thanksgiving calories, but still, red.

Nov 24-25: no-s and shovelglove s-days (Thanksgiving and vacation/travel/relatives shoving food at us)

I started a new habit for December: habitcal. Every N-day I have to do some work on the habitcal app. That should be sufficient to finally get this thing out by new year's, I think.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:07 pm

hi reinhard!
i just felt like dropping in on your thread to see how you are and to say (in case maybe you may have missed my recent re appearance) that i'm having a very good start to 2012 and really feeling dead set on doing NoS wholeheartedly... i'm psyched!!
last year was so bad.. it just feels great to be re-committed to NoS.
so i have to thank you, yet again for creating it, and i felt like sharing my excitement and happiness that i'm finally on track again.
i hope all is well with you and your family!
how are your (now not so little) girls? :D
richie will be 16 years old this year!
have a great week my dear friend.
8) deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi Deb,

Thanks for popping by -- I did notice (with pleasure!) that you're back on the boards again. Sorry for not being more active myself lately -- very busy with work and family at the moment (and trying to figure out why habitcal is not working on android phones!). I'm so happy 2012 is off to a good start for you. 16! That's something. My girls are still wee little things at 7 and 4. Give him my regards.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:28 pm

Two infractions to report:

Glass ceiling failure on Saturday Jan 28: we were at friends and I was offered a third cocktail by our (very mixelogically talented) host.

Tasks failure on Tuesday Jan 31: forgot to make sure my older daughter put her eyepatch on.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:26 pm

Monday Feb 6: Tasks Failure (forgot my daughter's eyepatch -- still a somewhat new routine)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:31 am

Rough month, systems-wise!

Feb 11: Tasks failure (damn cat litter). Weekend luddite failure (work pileup)
Feb 14: No-s and shovelglove S-day (valentine's day)
Feb 17: Tasks failure (eyepatch again)
Feb 17-18: Glass ceiling failures. 2 drinks over the limit both days. Bookclub again the first night. Then we had guests over. No ill effects, except some perhaps too animated discussion of Dr. Faustus, but there was really no reason to go over the limit.
Feb 18: Weekend luddite failure: scrambling to get mortgage application docs together.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:54 pm

For March my monthly resolution is 0 glass ceiling failures.

Recording it here for added accountability.

Reinhard

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:36 pm

Dr. Faustus tends to have that effect.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:45 pm

Dr. Faustus tends to have that effect.
He does, doesn't he? :-)

He (well, the Goethe version) also inspired another system:

http://everydaysystems.com/lowsmoking/

(Fans of playing with the devil may be disappointed that "low" has been "no" for the last few months since my wife's latest pregnancy. That event plus our other kids getting old enough to perhaps make an awkward discovery means it'll probably stay closer to "no.")

So far so good with my March resolution... a couple of rather large glasses, but no technical failures.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:12 am

Dude, if you can find company you like to unashamedly smoke that fag with-- well, you must be on the East Coast. And yes, that does sound like playing with the devil, with the reputation for addictive power that nicotine has. But once again, you've proved the value of strict parameters.

It's a good thing you are not on the side of evil.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:26 pm

I will protect the identity of my partner in crime, but yes, we're east coast.

Funny stuff since last check-in:

Sunday April 1: Glass ceiling failure. 1 drink over the limit. Boy I didn't wait long to break my March green streak. Our neighbor makes fantastic Tamarind Margaritas.

Friday April 6: No -s and shovelglove S-day (double S-day for an interfaith family: Passover AND Good Friday!)

Saturday April 14: glass ceiling failure. 1 drink over the limit. No good excuse. Was hosting friends and somehow a third glass of wine got poured.

Sunday April 15th: tasks failure -- eyepatch again.

Monday April 16: No-s and shovelglove S-day (Patriot's day)

Tuesday April 24: Shovelglove S-day. Sick with a nasty tummy bug. Intense, but fortunately not even 24 hours. Proceeded to lay low the rest of the family then, alas.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Friday May 4: Tasks failure. Eyepatch again.

Saturday May 5: glass ceiling failure. 2 drinks over the limit. Tamarind margaritas again.

I've started keeping a simple count of the number of drinks I have every day in an effort to nudge the average down a bit by there mere pressure of keeping track.

Sunday May 6: weekend luddite failure. Too much work again.

Wednesday May 9: task failure. Forgot to get milk until the store was closed, then had a "what the hell" moment and hit the sack leaving two more tasks undone.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:51 pm

OK, it's been a while, but fortunately I kept good notes on my daily cards so I think I can account for everything.

May 28: No-s and shovelglove S-day (memorial day). Glass ceiling failure (2 drinks over the limit, ballasted with much food).

June 6: No-S S day (my younger daughter's birthday).

June 7: Glass ceiling failure (2 drinks over the limit -- book club again).

June 8: Shovelglove failure. Sheer exhaustion.

June 15: Tasks Failure and shovelglove failure. More sheer exhaustion (was a roungh 7 dasy!).

June 16: Tasks failure. Forgot my daughter's eyepatch again.

June 17: weekend luddite failure (feeling too behind and work).

June 21: shovelglove S-day (vacation). Glass ceiling failure (1 drink over the limit).

July 11-13: No-S S-days (vacation, took 3 of 5 days as S-days. Ran every day instead of shugging, which I counted as fulfilling my shovelglove requirement)

July 29: Glass ceiling failure (2 drinks over the limit -- my drink mixing master friend over again for dinner, too good to resist).

August 12: glass ceiling failure (2 drinks over the limit. Our housewarming party).

August 20: Tasks failure (neglected to harass my daughter into piano practice).

August 21: Tasks failure (missed a work task).
Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:48 pm

hope things are less exhausting these days reinhard!
i have been awol on checking your thread here for some time, but thought i'd pop in and say hi! :)
hope all is great with you and your family.
good luck with glass ceiling on book club days! :wink:
deb x
ps.. it's nice that you're also doing some jogging!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Thank you, Deb!

Another long stretch, but again fortunately I've been scrawling my transgressions on my daily cards.

Monday Sept 3: Memorial day -- shovelglove and No-s s-day.

Sept 8: tasks failure (eyepatch again -- glass half full view of my imperfect compliance on this one: I shudder to think how many of these I'd miss if I DIDN'T make it a daily task)

Sept 25: tasks failure: missed a works task and neglected to do some HR stuff for the birth of our sun.

Friday Sept 28: tasks failure. Neglected to make my daughter do piano. Neglected to do a couple of everyday systems things. Also Glass ceiling failure: 2 drinks over the limit. After work drinks plus dinner drinks. Easily avoidable but I didn't.

Tues Oct 2: No-s and shovelglove S-day. My birthday -- #39. Last year I can still pretend I'm not middle aged. :-)

Oct 7: 3 (small) drinks over the limit. Over at friend's and they broke out the fancy stuff.

Thursday Oct 11: tasks failure: neglected to write a condolence card (still need to do this).

More soon... still have some cards to process.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:30 am

50 is the new middle-aged.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:12 am

Been a while again! Here's nov 2012, transcribed from my index cards:

Mon Nov 12: No-s and shovelgove S-day (veterans day)
Friday Nov 16: Shovelglove S-day (vacation)
Sat Nov 17: Glass ceiling failure (1 drink over the limit)
Thursday Nov 22: No-s and shovelglove S-day (Thanksgiving). Glass ceiling failure (1 drink over the limit)
Friday Nov 23: No-s and shovelglove S-day (vacation). Glass ceiling failure (1 drink over the limit)
Sat Nov 24: glass ceiling failure (2 drinks over the limit). (This 3-day glass ceiling red streak wasn't as bad as it sounds: spread out over multiple events with plenty of festive food as alcohol absorbing ballast).
Sun Nov 25: Tasks failure (darn eyepatch again)
Mon Nob 26: shovelglove and taks failure. Exhaustion.
Thurs Nov 29: no-s and shovelglove s-day (daughter in the hospital)
Friday Nov 30: no-s and shovelglove s-day (BOTH daughters in the hospital, for totally unrelated reasons -- all fine now)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:26 am

And here's December 2012:

Mon Dec 10: shovelglove-s day (resting my back -- swinging a sledgehammer around is nothing compared to juggling a newborn)

Mon Dec 17: tasks failure. Neglected to knock off a work task.

Sat Dec 22: tasks failure. Forgot to change the cat litter and put off some Christmas preparations.

Sun Dec 23: glass ceiling failure (3 small drinks over the limit -- Christmas party with interesting drinks that I couldn't resist sampling)

Mon Dec 24: No-s and shovelglove S-day (Christmas Eve). Glass ceiling failure (3 small drinks over the limit. didn't feel excessive in context, but still, red)

Tues Dec 25: No-s and shovelglove S-day (Christmas day). Glass ceiling failure (2 drinks over the limit -- ditto excuse above).

Wed Dec 26: glass ceiling failure (2 drinks over the limit -- this is starting to look not so good now that I transfer it over here, though again, spread over multiple events, etc.)

Friday Dec 28: No-s and shovelglove s-day (vacation)

Sat Dec 29: glass ceiling failure (2 drinks over the limit).

Mon Dec 31: tasks failure (eyepatch). No-s and shovelglove s-day (new years eve)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:28 pm

hi reinhard! i haven't been on here at all for years and i made a beeline to your thread to see you haven't posted any updates since january 2013! lol...
where are you and how are you?
how is your family doing?
hope all is well! :D