NoS vs 12 step?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

That guy

NoS vs 12 step?

Post by That guy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:36 pm

I found an interesting description of this board by Deb: food addictions recovery group

That kind of turned on a light bulb for me.

Yes, I am a food addict. I rely on food to bolster my mood, fill empty time, and provide focus to the day. I ignore the side effects of too much food intake.

Or at least, I did.

Now, due to 14 words, I know that I can do this.

The 1st step of the traditional 12 step program says "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol; that our lives had become unmanageable."

The 1st step of this program is "I have POWER over food. I CAN manage my life. All I have to do is DO it."

Thank you Reinhard
Starting over 07/31/06 @ 262
Current: 262, Goal 160

mjohnson121

Post by mjohnson121 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:59 pm

I certainly agree in concept. There is something amazing about the power of the No S (I think it's the repeatable mantra of the no s trinity that does it for me) concept that has given me in a short 2 weeks of strict no-s, some major control over my eating. For the first time in a long time, I feel in CONTROL of my eating, versus my food controlling ME.

Like it was said in another post, even if the weight loss is slow (and it has been slow these last 2 weeks, although I FEEL a lot better and swear that I'm fitting better into my clothes), the BEHAVIOR modification that goes along with it is really worth as much if not more than the weight loss, which I totally agree with.

-Mark

vorpal

Post by vorpal » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:20 am

I agree... the mental part is the biggest boost -- weirdly enough, I find I'm less worried about whether I'm overweight, and more concerned over whether I'm taking care of myself... if that makes any sense.

The point is, there's something about the simplicity of No S for me that makes it sink in as an attitude. Even the fact that weekends are "rule free" feels empowering in a way, because it's like acknowledging that you still like food, just that you decide when to enjoy it more freely.
"Man will not fly for 50 years." -- Wilbur Wright 1901

ceu

Post by ceu » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:02 am

yes, it's funny. I was talking to a work colleague about it, about how it seemed more like when my parents looked after me as a kid and gave me a nutritious balanced and sane diet. I said it was like these days many of us are into abusing ourselves with food, and we don't even notice it. It's only been a week, but I'm really *looking* at the things that I'm giving my body as fuel. I feel like I'm starting to be a caretaker for myself, as silly as that may sound.

Karl

Post by Karl » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:56 pm

All,
I really think this thread sums up the value of the three (NoS, UR, and SG) systems for me.

It's about taking care of myself in a sane, mature manner. I'm not a teenager anymore - I don't heal as fast - My metabolism is slower - My parents aren't responsible for me anymore.

It's about growing up and realizing that I alone control my eating and exercise - no blaming outside factors. I don't need a DVD, book of eating rules and points, or any other complicated program with an easy monthly payment to tell me these things - I learned them as a child at home and school. Now it's up to the adult me to properly apply those lessons.

Eat a modest, healthy meal 3 - 5 times each day.
Save room for an occasional dessert or snack.
Get some amount of exercise each day.
Variety, moderation, sunshine, and fresh air are the best medicine.
Smile (makes people wonder what your thinking).

The NoS, UR, and SG systems are simple and good ways to apply those lessons.
Karl

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:06 pm

Thank you very much, Guy and you all. I feel very lucky to have come up with something that seems to be so useful for others as well as myself. I'm still a little amazed sometimes that something so laughably simple and obvious could have have such big, life altering results.

Like everyone I'm sure, I'd heard of the 12 step program, but didn't know exactly what it was or what the steps consisted of.

http://www.12step.org/steps/index.php

I don't want to argue that no-s and the other everyday systems supersede this, but they can certainly supplement it (or more accurately, complement it), especially before the problems in question reach the rock bottom.

Reinhard