Mixel 21 NOS Days

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mixel

Mixel 21 NOS Days

Post by Mixel » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:13 pm

I'm in the middle of day one. So far so good. I'll be leaving work soon and I have to NOT have my after work treat. Usually a Mounds bar or some such thing. My day is really a minefield of snacks and sweets. I think I might get through the rest of the day. But I'm nervous about tomorrow. I know that one day at a time is the way to go. And seriously right now this is one minute at a time. I just have to get home. Tomorrow will be it's own thing.

:shock:
Shame never creates change...

Mixel

Post by Mixel » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 am

Day One - Success

I am going to have a cup of tea and quit this day while I'm ahead. Bedtime is tough. I was raised with a sweet treat before bed.

M.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:15 pm

Congratulations on your making it 1/1.

As for the sweets before bed, it's all habit. It's tough at first, but if you persist, it gets rewired, and it'll soon seem as strange to you to eat sweets before bed as it now does not to.

Reinhard

ceu

Post by ceu » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:27 pm

welcome! :) I've only been on this program for a couple weeks, but I'm astonished at how easy and natural it feels. I think you'll like it.

Mixel

Day Three

Post by Mixel » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:00 am

So day two went pretty well. I think it was an overall Success. I did have a two crackers with cheese in the evening after dinner. And not becuase I wanted to, they were there. And day today was good. Here's the question about today. I ate homemade chef salad for lunch. And I just kept eating until I was certain I was full becuase I didn't want to get hungry later. So I had seconds. But it was salad with turkey, cheese and salami. Is that NOS or not-NOS?

The incredible thing about the past three days is no sweets! Not a candy bar or cookie. How cool is that. Plus I did get on the scale and it has gone down already. I am totally digging this.

And CEU I too am astonished at how easy and natural it feels. After all that counting and planning this feels incredible. And it seems so obvious.

I have been having Sleepy Time tea with alittle honey before bed. So far so good.

M.

pangelsue

Welcome

Post by pangelsue » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:39 pm

Welcome Mixel,
I started this diet several times and because I also tread the same snack and sweet minefield you were talking about, I failed a number of times. I finally decided to get over the hurdles one at a time.
First, I made the treat table at work (right outside my cubicle) off limits. That was very hard. I brought my own no sugar snacks until I had that accomplished. Then I stopped having a snack at morning break at all. I have my green tea and watch the others snack but it is getting easier. I now notice that snackers are always talking about the next diet they are going to try. Hmmmmm.
Then when that leveled off, I started making the snack after work smaller. The first day I gave it up completely was hard. It is still a challange some days but getting better. The last to go was the snacking before bed. I agree with you that some days are really a struggle and I just go to bed to avoid thinking about it anymore. I tell myself that by the time I wake up I will be able to enjoy a large breakfast and I will feel really full again.
Reinhard is absolutely right about habits forming. It just dawned on me that I don't really miss the morning snack anymore. In fact, I don't even think about it anymore. In the last 3-4 weeks, the habit has been forming.
I just finished my first whole week with all successes and I can say with confidence, go slow, be gentle with yourself and you will get there. This really works and you are going to be your own boss from now on with this diet. There are no forbidden foods, just planned times to eat them.

Mixel

Post by Mixel » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestions pangelsue. Making the snacks smaller sounds good. I could weane myself off of some of it. And keeping it out of sight is key. I actually found I have been avoiding a co-workers office becuase she has a candy bowl right by the door.

I have been doing really well with the sweets for the past five days. I have had one sweet in five days. One. I think that reading about the increased level of sugar consumption in Reinhard's NO S homepage really did the trick. I had heard that before, but to think that I could eat my body wieght in sugar in little over a year was alarming. And I must say I feel better. Maybe clearer. I'm not sure.

This is certainly a good plan. I really like the simplicity and this check-in page. I feel hopeful. 8)

Mixel

I'm Back

Post by Mixel » Tue May 16, 2006 2:21 pm

Hi

I kinda went missing for awhile. And I had good days and bad. I do believe that this diet "system" has made some serious inroads in my brain. So as a consequence I haven't gained any more wieght. That's good.

So let's see how I do today.

Mixel
:)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue May 16, 2006 3:13 pm

Good for you!
Good luck Mixel :)

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness