ironchef mostly weekly check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:28 am

I know I'm a little late but congrats on the little girl! very exciting!

Btw how's iron baby feeling about having a little sister?
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:40 am

Thanks Linda :)

With 4 months still to go, and Mummy looking much the same as before, I don't think Ironbaby really has much concept of "having a sibling". I decided not to make a big deal of it with him until after the 12 and 20 week scans came back all clear, as I thought it would be difficult to explain and maybe scary for him if I discussed the pregnancy and then had to tell him that things had gone wrong.

We've set up the study as a nursery, and explained that there will be a new "little bubba" living in there soon, but 4 months is a lifetime for a 2.5 year old. Over the next few months we'll be talking about it with him some more. I think once I'm a bit bigger, and the baby starts to move enough so you can feel from the outside, it might make more sense to him. We'll see :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:49 am

Oh that definitely makes sense!
Last edited by lpearlmom on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:11 am

GREEN Monday and Tuesday for No S. Avoided macarons at work morning tea (really nice ones from French bakery), so I'm really happy with that.

GREEN for exercise: walked Monday, walked and cycled Tuesday.

I'm thinking of reviving my HomeFree system, to track greens and reds for getting my house more sorted. I've started haphazardly doing some FlyLady zone cleaning / decluttering over the past week, just to try to get back to some kind of spiderweb-free baseline. Hmmm.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:44 pm

Green Wednesday No S
Green exercise - walking. Didn't get in the strength stuff I wanted to, as I had to take a rug to be drycleaned during Ironbaby's nap.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:35 pm

It looks like you're doing great! 😃

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:28 pm

Thanks CG :)

Completely green week - green for No S and walked every day. Cycled 2 days.

I almost caved last night when my husband had dessert and I was thinking "c'mon, it's almost the weekend". I stayed firm at the last minute and I know I'll enjoy that dessert tonight even more as a result.

eschano

Post by eschano » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:13 pm

Well done Iron!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:14 pm

Wow Iron truly awesome. Wishing you another good week next week. And enjoy that desert :D

tobiasmom

fridays

Post by tobiasmom » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:43 pm

Awesome job! Friday night are tough for me for that exact reason. But you're doing wonderful. You feeling ok?
Military wife and homeschool mom of two boys, 15 and 10.
No-S restart 01/08/23
SW: 239

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:19 am

Thanks ladies - you are really too kind :) It was a lovely chocolate mint dessert, and I enjoyed it very much on Saturday!

This was a long S weekend for me, as my husband's birthday party was yesterday (on Australia Day). So, I baked and ate a piece of the lawn bowls birthday cake. Today is his actual birthday, but I'm not making it another S day. I think 3 is enough! I'm making him his favourite dinner of porcini risotto tonight, which I think makes it special enough without needing to S :)

I'm still walking every day, but missed my cycle yesterday and today due to not working and a doctor's appointment. I'm now 1 day out from Bree, with the hobbits travelling with Strider!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:59 am

How wonderful to be walking towards Bree. Enjoy. Good S day management :-)

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:36 am

Happy Birthday to your husband! The porcini risotto sounds lovely.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:41 am

Thanks ladies. Yes, porcini risotto with leek and bacon is one of my favourites, but it takes a bit longer to make so we don't do it as often these days.

Green Tues, Wed for No S and green for exercise (lots of walking today in 38 degree C heat, phew!). I was really craving an icecream today, so I'm planning an extra good one for Saturday!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:06 pm

Very hard won victory last night. I had a chocolate brownie Ferrero cupcake in the fridge with peanut butter frosting (my neighbour made it). I had kept it in the fridge rather than freezer because I thought my husband would eat it. He forgot it yesterday (oh, the naturally slim!). Last night I was annoyed and disappointed about a bunch of stuff and I thought "stuff it, I deserve that cupcake". I even took it out of the fridge to come to room temp. And then I thought of this board, and the fact that I would in fact be punishing, not rewarding, myself. And a cupcake would not change any of the things that had annoyed and disappointed me. So I put it in the freezer for Saturday. Yay!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:36 am

ironchef,

Great Job. I'm not sure I'd have been able to resist. Once, I make the move to actually touch food . . . it's a goner.

Just think, your new little-one-in-the-making doesn't need all that sugar either :wink: At least not until Saturday.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:35 am

Amazing job iron! And I had to laugh when you said: oh, the naturally slim. So try!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:32 am

A red day on Friday - went to a birthday party for a friend with my husband, and had a dessert (mini-Eton mess) with everyone else at about 10:30pm. Main reason was that I was awake and on my feet so long after dinner (we ate dinner about 6). Ah well, otherwise a good week.

Great Saturday today. Walked, did yoga, and just had lunch including that last brownie/Ferrero/PB cupcake. Worth the wait for sure!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:13 pm

Good job on resisting the cupcake the other night! Your red day sounds like a well-deserved one. 😃

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:01 am

Thanks CG! Yeah, a part of the birthday "cake" at a birthday party is what the S in No S is all about for me :)

I read a lovely quote today by Nayyirah Waheed that really resonated for me, especially as my body is currently building a baby:
and I said to my body, softly, "I want to be your friend". It took a long breath and replied, "I have been waiting my whole life for this".
I feel like my routine lately - lots of walking, swimming, cycling, yoga plus No S - is very much about taking care of, rather than punishing my body. I love it.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:25 am

Thank you so much for the quote. I found it very moving and for me personally very significant.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:14 pm

Love that quotation! So many of us are at constant war with our bodies. I think it's time we all called a truce! 💖

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:13 pm

What a beautiful reminder to be loving with ourselves.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:54 pm

I have loved reading your posts! I noticed you do FlyLady. I just started back with her recently. It has really helped me to get my house somewhat in order. :lol: Congratulations on the little one! So far, those were the best years of my life. Being a mom is the best.
Always learning.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:14 pm

What a great quote! That has been a struggle for me, to love my body. It sounds like you have a great exercise routine! Once my leg recovers enough to exercise again, I think I want to stick with those types of exercises that will bless my body, rather than punish it.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:25 am

I'm glad others liked the quote :)

Lovedby2 - thank you for that, what a lovely compliment :) I'm not exactly a FlyLady stalwart: I work outside of the home 3 days, and Australians are not big on wearing lace up shoes all the time and so on. I delete about 95% of the emails un-read, because I don't have time for all the marketing etc. But, I do think making simple things (like a clean sink and a made bed) habitual is a great starting point. One thing that does help me is the reminder to keep decluttering, and to move around the home on a regular basis. I tend to be someone who keeps the kitchen and living room nice, and then forgets about the spiders in the study for months on end!

Key lime pie at work morning tea today. I made myself a nice decaf coffee and sat and chatted and laughed with my friends. And I found myself thinking honestly, how many times in my life have I eaten key lime pie? 40? 50? More? I like it of course, but I know what it tastes like.

One thing I've started in the past few weeks that I really like is some formal work on developing mindfulness. My friend recommended an app called HeadSpace, and you can set for anything from a quick relax to a 30 minute mindfulness meditation. I am working on doing 20 minutes at least once a day and I love it. I've often thought I'd like to include mindfulness meditation in my daily routine, but never had the self discipline to follow it through. I'm really keen to make it stick this time, especially as I've got an increase in stress (birth of second child) coming later in the year.

Ironbaby this week:
Me: I have a very small baby in my tummy, and once she has grown much bigger, she will come out. Then she will live with us.
Ironbaby: Yes Mummy. I've got a baby in my tummy to!
Me: Ah, I don't think so, mate.
Ironbaby: I do, I've got a baby in my tummy!

Ironbaby: Mummy, I've got my happiness back.
Me: That's great darling!
Ironbaby: Yes, I can feel it in my tummy.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:17 am

My heart melts when I read about ironbaby talk about his happiness!

Well done on the key lime pie!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:26 am

Yum, key lime pie! I grew up on the stuff. Do they have fresh key limes in Australia? I was raised in South Florida where key limes were prevalent. Mom made a pie often. Loved the sweet baby conversation. Keep flying!!
Always learning.

ironchef

Re: Lovedby2

Post by ironchef » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:19 am

Lovedby2 wrote: Do they have fresh key limes in Australia? I was raised in South Florida where key limes were prevalent. Mom made a pie often.
Where I live (Perth, Western Australia) citrus grow really well. In our back yard we have a lime, a lemon and an orange tree.

Green so far this week for No S and green for exercise (walking every day). I took my son to the Zoo yesterday, so there was lots and lots of walking. Phew!

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:44 pm

That is fantastic! Sometimes I miss the climate of South Florida, mostly in the winter. I live in the mountains of North Carolina. Totally different climate and culture. It's nice having fruit at your fingertips. We had kumquat trees, grapefruit and mango trees. Yummy!!
Always learning.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:20 pm

I know, we're really spoiled here.

A green week, except for red Friday night. I had a green Friday, then went out with mr chef and our friend J to a Lamb concert. It was a great concert, but pretty hot in the venue and standing only. When we came out at about 11pm, mr chef was craving an icecream from the stand outside. He and J ordered one, so I had a scoop in a little container. It was a conscious fail, I did ponder whether it was worth a red day before I ordered it.

I see a pattern of my last few fails - staying up a long time doing activities after dinner. As I eat every 5 - 6 hours during the day, if I don't go to bed within 4 or 5 hours after dinner, I get hungry again and end up with these fails. However, I'm not going to give up on going to concerts or parties (bub #2 will put paid to all that soon enough), so I'm just going to keep recording reds when they happen and hopefully that won't be too often.

Ironbaby quote time:
Ironbaby does a burb
Me: What do you say?
Ironbaby: I don't have my pardon me, I've got no manners left.
Me: Manners don't run out, we can always practice our good manners, if we want to.
Ironbaby: No, I am empty of manners .

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:59 am

After about twenty years I realized that staying up was when I always got in trouble only to wake with guilt and a tummy ache. I love staying up late, even as a child. But, I have to admit going to bed by 10:30 Sun-Thur has been the reason I have been able to abstain. I have no will power, it's just numbers. 4 hours and I'm hungry. I eat dinner at 6:30, so there it is. This is all because DH has to rise early. It seems so wrong to go to bed at that hour. Really, 10:30? Horrid. But hey, I wouldn't give up the fun, for sure.
Always learning.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:50 pm

Lol, ironbaby is hilarioius. Finds his happiness and looses his manners.

I wonder if a slightly fuller dinner those nights would help. Either way, you probably tend to have these nights towards the weekends anyways (at least as long as the little one isn't here yet).
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:49 am

Another red day, again because of schedule and going out in the evening. I misjudged my lunch (too small, too early), so ended up having an after work snack. Then because I had to get to a show straight after my son went to bed I ended up eating half my dinner before I left and then running out of time, so had the other half at 11pm when I got home. Anyway, never mind, just one of those days.

I do feel pretty zonked today - going out on a weeknight when I have to work really drains me. The show (circus/drag queen/comedy Fringe festival event) was really awesome though, so worth it!

All green for exercise - walking and cycling Mon and Tues.

Ironbaby yesterday when I got home from work on my bike:
Ironbaby: Mummy, are you a bit sweaty?
Me: Yes, I am a bit.
Ironbaby: You'd better have a shower.

Yep, I'm getting personal hygiene advice from my 2 year old.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:14 am

Green Tuesday, Wed, Thurs for No S (but a VERY heavy Thurs lunch after a blood test). Green for exercise every day (walking and cycling).

I was away from home Wed night and Thurs, so HomeFree is not going as well.

Mindfullness practice is, well, intermittent. Not a habit yet, as I'm struggling to work out where it fits in my daily routine. Will keep chipping away though, as I feel a big benefit when I do manage to find those 20 minutes.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:19 am

Hi iron, thanks for posting that article on Linda's thread.

Love how you slid right back into the NoS habit!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:21 pm

Thanks eschano. It actually took a few weeks to get back into it after I got past the 14 week mark and started to feel better. I'm 24 weeks now, so 10 weeks later I feel much more "on habit" again. As I get into the 3rd tri (in a few weeks) I might mod again - last time I found that I had very little "space" and so 3 larger meals might not work out :) I also expect to be pretty relaxed the first 6 or so weeks after bub while breastfeeding is getting established. I think the nice thing about No S habits is that after 2 years, even if I do go off course for a little while (or a long while) the habit "memory" is still there so getting back to it is easier every time.

Green end to last week (just the red Monday).
Weekend eating was pretty heavy - lots of events - but we did a heap of exercise taking Ironbaby to some stuff that's happening in our city's Arts Festival. Pushing him in his pram, carrying him on my shoulders, walking, walking, walking!

Speaking of walking, I'm about to enter the Midgewater Marshes with my hobbits :)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:22 am

It sounds like you're doing well! I like your insights about habit memory. Nice job with the walking!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:49 am

A green Monday, and green for walking. No cycling today, as I had a midwife appointment on the way to work.

Some Ironbaby quotes I realised I hadn't put in here:

Ironbaby (misquoting Wind in the Willows): What a lamb I've been! A lamb, a plain lamb. [The real line is pig, not lamb]

Ironbaby (puts his head under in the bath, then pops up): Boo!
Me: You were under there along time! Were you holding your breath?
Ironbaby (puts a fist underwater and then opens it): I was holding my breath, then I dropped my breath under the water.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:10 pm

Lol!!! Hilarious.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:47 am

So precious! It's obvious how much you adore him. Such a lucky boy. :)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:41 am

Thanks Linda, eschano. He is really at a lovely age. We're very lucky.

I'm sick this week, so No S, housework and exercise are all sporadic. Once I shake off this virus, I'll be back to it.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:09 am

I hope you feel better soon.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:06 am

Feeling better now, still chugging along mostly green, but not really tracking that closely. As I get into the 3rd tri I'm finding that single plate meals sometimes trigger heartburn, so I might start splitting up meals (especially dinner) into 2 halves.
I'm still walking every morning, the Hobbits and I are in the Midgewater Marshes at the moment.

Ironbaby this week:
Ironbaby: It's a beautiful day! It's not dark anymore.
Me: Yes, the sky is blue and the sun is shining.
Ironbaby: That's right Mummy, you got it!

At a party
Ironbaby: I would like more birthday cake.
Me: Ok, you can have some of mine (we share my piece of cake)
Ironbaby: That was good sharing Mummy, well done!

Looking at my husband, who was in bed
Ironbaby: Daddy's still sleeping. I can see up his nose. He has two nozzles.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:17 am

Adorable! 😀

So glad things are going well. Adding a fourth meal sounds like a good idea. ðŸ‘

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:27 pm

Thanks Linda. He is quite hopelessly adorable at the moment, and I'm really looking forward to going on maternity leave so I can spend more time with him (at least until #2 arrives and chaos ensues).

Ironbaby: There's a little monster wanting to gobble up Daddy's porridge!
mr. chef: Oh no! Who is this monster?
Ironbaby: Me!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:06 am

Oh too cute! You guys seem like such a sweet little family and it'll be so nice to be able to spend some quality time with iron baby before #2 comes along. As far as chaos, I can barely remember. It's all a blur, but you'll get through it.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:12 am

Iron baby is so cute! 😃

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:01 pm

OMG he has two nozzles....bahahahahahaha THAT was awesome!
Kindness is the only way.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:35 am

Aww, thanks ladies :)

Still trucking along here mostly green, with small afternoon snacks now and a smaller dinner most nights. I seem to be avoiding the heartburn, which is good.

I'm still walking every morning, but finding it harder to pick up the pace without triggering pelvic girdle pain. This is a pregnancy symptom I had last time, and I know it's not serious or doing me any damage, but it just makes the walks less enjoyable.

Ironbaby had a few pearlers this week:
Ironbaby: Mummy, what am I stepping in?
Me: You're stepping in the garden bed.
Ironbaby: It's where the garden sleeps.

Ironbaby: Daddy, your old happiness has flown away, up over those trees and away!
mr chef: Oh dear, I need some new happiness then.
Ironbaby: Don't worry Daddy, I have some new happiness for you. (hands him an imaginary "something") I have blue happiness and yellow happiness for you.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:34 am

Good for you, that you're doing what you can to keep up with diet and exercise! I had a lot more pelvic pain with my second pregnancy. Not fun! Iron baby is precious!

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi ironchef! Loved reading about ironbaby. Congratulations on your pregnancy. What a blessing to have another on the way. Hope you are feeling good and No Sing with success.
Always learning.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:07 pm

Sorry about the pain but sounds like you're working around it best you can. I love how iron baby talks about emotions in such a lyrical way. Where'd he learn that or is his own doing?

I hope you're having a nice weekend. I miss being pregnant. Such an exciting time of anticipation and planning!

Linda 😀

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:48 am

Thanks all. I am not posting as often, but I am following along with people's threads and posting when I get the chance. We're pretty busy at the moment. My husband's grandmother is very ill with what will likely be her last illness, so we're all spending a lot of time visiting with her and supporting my in-laws.

I'm also not using HabitCal, as I am sort of "half-essing" at the moment - mostly sticking with 3 meals and no sweets on week days, but making exceptions for a small snack if I feel "sick-hungry" or headachey. I'm also mostly sticking to not snacking on weekends, as I can easily overeat and tip myself into heartburn territory.
lpearlmom wrote:I love how iron baby talks about emotions in such a lyrical way. Where'd he learn that or is his own doing?
His discussions of happiness started a while back, when he had a grumpy afternoon and told me he had "lost his happiness". I tried to have a talk with him about how happiness wasn't a toy which you could lose, but a feeling you had inside yourself when you were enjoying something, or with people you loved, when everything felt good. Later he told me he "had his happiness back" because he could "feel it in his tummy". So, I'm not sure how much he really understands about the abstract concept of happiness.

Since those discussions, he has often talked about his own or other people's happiness, how it feels or looks or where it is going. I don't correct him, as I guess that is his way of expressing an intangible idea.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:32 am

So sorry about your DHs grandmother. Great job on being flexible and doing what works best for your situation right now.

I love how kids can think about things so differently. When I'm unhappy I tend to feel like I'll be unhappy forever. So much better to think about it as something I've temporarily misplaced but can find again if I search hard enough! Thanks iron baby! ðŸ˜

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:44 pm

Thank you for stopping by with words of wisdom to share. I like the pay off idea. I have to give it some thought. If success counts according to how many times we try, well then hey I am successful!!! I will chew on that for a while. I know this, I am grateful to be here and receive all the encouragement from people like you! Thanks Ironchef and you have yourself a blessed day. :D
Always learning.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:23 am

Thanks Linda, Lovedby2.

Our dear Nanny is still hanging on, but has stopped eating, so it can't be long. She's had a fabulous life, 92 years, and is spending her last days surrounded by children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, but it is so hard to see her so ill and frail.

In lighter news, I'm still chipping away. Green this week for No S. Walking wise I'm out every day, but walks are getting shorter. The hobbits are finally out of the marshes and on their way to Weathertop.

I had a bit of a crazy weekend with sweets (several children's parties with lots of cakes and fairy bread) and I'm paying for it now with a lovely cold sore. Makes Easter chocolate seem much less appealing.

Ironbaby this week:
Ironbaby: I'm a sheep. This sheep is soooo cute!
mr. chef: Very cute.
Ironbaby: I'm Daddy's cutest sheep!
mr chef: Yes you are (gives him a hug).
Ironbaby: Let me go.

It was so comic to see this super-cute exchange end with a bump. You should have seen the look on my husband's face, it was just priceless.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:01 am

I'm sorry to hear your Nanny is declining. I know it is very hard for the family and wish the best for all of you.

Good job continuing to take care of yourself. Sometimes that's a Challenge when there are so many others that need to be cared for.

Enjoy the weekend.

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:15 pm

Sorry to hear about your Nanny, ironchef. What a wonderful circle of support she has, to be surrounded by family during this time.

Great job on keeping those days green and getting out on walks!

I love the exchange between ironbaby and mr. chef! Children are so funny. I have a 4-year old son that cracks me up on a daily basis.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:02 pm

Sorry about your Nanny. Sounds like she had a beautiful life and a beautiful ending to her life. None of us can ask for more than that.

Ironbaby is adorable as ever! Poor mr chef! He sounds like an amazing father!

You're doing great keeping up the walking and being flexible with your current needs. When is your due date again? Must be getting closer!

Linda

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:41 am

I'm sorry about your Nanny. :( Yes, when is your due date?

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:48 am

Thanks all, I appreciate it. Yes, she is a lucky lady who has had a wonderful life, and a firm believer in a Heaven with her beloved Pop waiting for her, so she is in a good state of mind. It's just her body which is punishing her in these last weeks. We've got my sister-in-law's wedding today, which is being held in Nanny's church, so that's bittersweet.

My due date is 8th June. Ironbaby turned up on his due date, so I imagine our daughter will arrive on or before - but then, babies do what they like :)

Ironbaby: That mosquito coil has finished.
Me: Yes, it burnt right down.
Ironbaby: Now it is just cash.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:19 pm

I hope your SIL had a nice wedding. You're getting close! Ironbaby says the funniest things! My younger son is around his age (I think my son is a few months older), and he'll say some really off the wall things sometimes. :D

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:31 am

Today is just a shitty day. Nanny died in the night last night. My sister-in-law's father just got a diagnosis of acute leukemia last night and has been rushed to hospital for a month of intense chemo. I just got back from visiting my friend this afternoon who is recovering from her second round of surgery due to Stage IV bowel cancer.

Positives? Well, I haven't face planted into left over Easter chocolate (yet). I guess No S seems like the only thing over which I have any control.

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:50 am

I am so sorry for all that you are going through right now. I am sorry for your loss of Nanny, and the news about your SILs father. And then also for your friend who is dealing with cancer. Sending good thoughts your way. Remember to take some time for yourself too.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:39 pm

Oh dear I missed this post somehow. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with all this right now. Such a sad and difficult time.

Thoughts & prayers with you.

Big hugs, Linda

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:17 pm

Thanks Kittson, Linda. I really appreciate it.

mr. chef and I are doing an 8 week course in mindfulness meditation this week, and I dissolved (rather than burst) into tears this morning during the "loving kindness" meditation, so I guess I'm pretty fragile. Perhaps part of that is being pregnant as well. There are so many wonderful things in our lives to be grateful for, but this week has just been a bit of a pile on of hard things.

Still walking and No Sing. Had a relatively low key weekend - ate some leftover Easter chocs but didn't "face plant" so that's a win. I don't have scales at home, but I weighed myself at my MIL's house on the weekend and I've gained about 8kg since I got pregnant, which is about on track. So, moderation still a winner.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:51 pm

I'm so sorry you're going through so many hard things right now. Yes, it's good that No S gives us some control. ((HUGS))

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:40 pm

So awesome you guys are doing that course together and we all need to break down now & then. It's very healing.

Glad at least NoS is going well for you. It's nice not to be stressed about our eating on top of everything else.

Linda

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:27 pm

That is really cool you and your husband are doing the course together. I don't think I could even bribe my DH into doing that. Very, very cool. If you're a fan of podcasts, definitely check out Tara Brach's. She releases a new one every Sunday and they are great.

I'm glad you have No S as a constant in your life while you have so much else going on. Take care.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:41 am

Thanks ladies!

We're following a book and CD called "Mindfulness: A Path to Peace in a Frantic World". It was recommended to us by a friend who is using it to help manage Generalised Anxiety Disorder. Unlike previous books I've read, this one is very practical. It's great, because it has taken us from "yes, that is a good idea, we should do that" to "here is what we're doing for 8 - 15 minutes each day". It's kind of like the difference between "I should exercise more" and "here is an 8 week schedule of workouts". Plus it is something really nice to do together. I'm also pleased because it is a completely "non-denominational" book: they just discuss the relevant research done in reputable universities (Oxford, etc) and a Buddhist, Catholic or atheist could all follow along without an issue.

mr. chef has a chronic illness and a history of ending up on stress leave from teaching, so there is a strong motivation for him to manage stress and therefore his health. For me, it is about really enjoying, engaging with and experiencing my life: I know objectively my life is wonderful, and I want to make sure it doesn't just "pass me by", especially in these busy years while my children are small. I've always liked that John Lennon line: "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans".

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:51 am

ironchef wrote:I've always liked that John Lennon line: "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans".
Oh man this is so powerful. I really need to keep this is mind while I'm going about my day. My mind tends to always be in tomorrow which means I'm missing out on today.

Thanks for that reminder!

Linda

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:08 pm

I know what you mean Linda, I'm a planner too. It's a good thing in some ways - I normally have a list, a plan, some idea of what's next, etc. If I was as vague as my husband we'd have a pretty disorganised household! However, sometimes I struggle to let go of the mental checklist and just BE in my life, so that's my challenge.

This week No S is a bit out the window. This week has been a disaster on the health front and I'm just kind of coping and eating what I can. Last Sunday night I started getting a rash. It's spread from just my chest to my neck, face, back, tummy and yesterday on to my arms and legs. My GP and my OBGYN both say it is not contagious or related to a virus or whatever, so that's comforting. However, downside is that it is incredibly sore and itchy (sunburn plus mosquito bites is my comparison). I haven't slept a full night since Sat night and I'm in survival mode. I've dropped all casein (dairy protein) again in hopes that maybe it's a reaction similar to what my son had when he was tiny. This is a shame as it means I've baked myself a birthday cake for today which I'm not going to eat.

Anyway, I haven't been walking, following No S, and meditating has been incredibly difficult as I just sit with my eyes closed thinking "OMG I want to SCRATCH my skin off!". I finally got a dermatology appointment tomorrow (Fri) afternoon, so fingers crossed they have got something to say, at least some symptom management suggestions. There is a bunch of drugs and stuff I can't have because I'm in the 3rd trimester. One incredibly depressing possibility is that this is pregnancy related, in which case it won't resolve until after I deliver (6 more weeks).

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:43 am

Wow, ironchef, that sounds incredibly difficult. I'm sorry to hear about all that. Hang in there. I hope they can give you something to make the symptoms much less miserable, even if it turns out to be related to the pregnancy.
"S" is for "sick day"; I'm sure you'll keep on habit as much as is reasonable and be back in the ring when this is over. Best of luck!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:37 am

Gosh, that sounds terrible! I hope you're able to find some relief. So was it your birthday? If so, happy birthday!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:13 am

Oh dear that sounds awful!!! I so hope you get some relief soon and yes happy birthday but I think you need a re-do bday when you're feeling better!

*fingers crossed* for you!

Linda

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:24 pm

I hope you are feeling better soon. Good luck at your appointment. Skin conditions are extremely frustrating. Wishing you the best!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:15 pm

Thanks all - I really appreciate it. I finally got a diagnosis (allergic contact dermatitis followed by id reaction) and am on some systemic steroids to clear it. We had a "do over" of my birthday (plus celebration of our 9 year anniversary) on Saturday night with a mini-getaway to a luxury B&B about an hour out of town. My mother-in-law had Ironbaby for the night, and we just relaxed, paddled on the river (I looked like a pumpkin in a boat between my belly and my life jacket). We also ate like kings - I've rarely been so full!

So today is Monday, and I'm keen to get back to Vanilla No S eating. I still didn't walk this morning, as I'm still very tired from lack of sleep the past week, but will get back to it tomorrow. We're also back on track with mindfulness meditation, now in week 8.

Ironbaby this week:
(as I leave the bedroom at bedtime)
Me: Good night darling
Ironbaby: Good night Mummy
Me: Sleep well
Ironbaby: Sleep well, Mummy
Me: I love you.
Ironbaby: I love me too, Mummy

Ironbaby: Look, who is in the mirror?
Me: That's you, I can see you there.
Ironbaby: Yes, I can see my collection in the mirror!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:08 am

Yay I'm so glad you had a little get-away/do-over! Also glad you got some relief for the skin issues (hopefully it's helping at least). And I bet you looked adorable floating down that river.

I can see that's ironbaby is as sweet as his momma!

Linda

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:47 pm

Hi Ironchef! Stopping by to say hello. I hope you are feeling better by now. Itching is the worst. I live in the mountains and poison ivy is a common occurance around here.
When is the baby due? I love the conversation with ironbaby. So cute. Take care of both of you. :)
Always learning.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat May 02, 2015 12:43 am

I'm glad you were able to get some answers. Your get away sounds lovely!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun May 03, 2015 10:07 pm

Thanks all, I am feeling much better, just one more week tapering down the steroids and I should be all fixed.

Posting now as a Monday re-committment. The past few weeks have been a bit chaotic. I think I remember the same thing last year around the whole Easter/Anzac Day/my birthday/wedding anniversary period, and add in family weddings, funerals, illness and 3rd trimester pregnancy and you get precious little No S compliance!

So, today is Monday and I'm going to go for a green week. I'll try to post every day at least to say green or red. When things get tricky I'm going to post here, instead of just shrugging and munching my way through.

Right now, off for my walk (in the dark!).

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon May 04, 2015 5:35 am

Okay had to look up Anzac Day but got it now!

Yeah I'd say you've had a ton on plate lately--whew! I hope you get a little breather now and know it'll feel great to get back on track. Don't you love how you just jump right back in at anytime?

Enjoy your walk. I'm assuming you live in a safe area!

Linda 😎

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon May 04, 2015 5:59 am

Thanks Linda! It is so nice that you can always just jump back in at the next meal. And it was surprisingly easy to not nibble this morning, just had a delicious (and very filling) lunch. I feel so much calmer (and phyiscally less bleurgh) when I stick to No S.

I live in a pretty safe spot for walking, and there are usually a few dog walkers at the park by 6am when I get there. Plus I take our dog who is 30kg, and while a giant softie at heart he has a nice loud bark on him :)

We're also back on track with our mindfulness meditation - I was less dedicated while ill. We finished up the 8 week program last week, so now it is "the rest of your life". We've decided this will take the form of at least one "formal" sitting meditation each day (even just 10 minutes in the morning) plus some other informal practices like mindful walking and taking a few 3 minutes "breathing spaces" throughout the day.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon May 04, 2015 10:00 pm

Monday 4th: Green No S, green walking, green mindfulness.
It's amazing how much better I felt after even one day back on track. Onwards to today! Off for my walk now.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 05, 2015 5:25 am

Yay--so happy for ya! Btw, I forgot you lived on the other side of the planet for a moment so was thinking you were going out walking late at night instead of early in the morning.

Our big dog is the same way. Scary on the outside, sweet as pie on the inside. Best kind of dog to have!

Linda :)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue May 05, 2015 11:34 am

Tuesday 5th: Green No S, green walking, green mindfulness!

Ironbaby this week:
Ironbaby: I'm a moron!
Me: You're not a moron darling, you're a very clever boy.
Ironbaby: I want more soap on my hands. More on!

Me: Do you want me to help pull the plug out?
Ironbaby: Not you Mummy! I don't prefer you!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed May 06, 2015 10:42 am

Wed 8th May: green No S, green walking, green mindfulness.

Tomorrow I am up extra early to take my volunteering lady out walking with her dog, so hopefully will be another green :)

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed May 06, 2015 3:17 pm

I can't believe that baby will be here in 4 weeks already!! So exciting! I hope you're feeing well?!
No-S restart 01/08/23

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu May 07, 2015 10:47 am

Thanks tobiasmom, yeah I'm feeling pretty good at the moment for someone 36 weeks pregnant. I'm lucky that I don't get the back pain or water retention that some people suffer.

Thurs 7th May: Green No S, green walking, green mindfulness. Just one more day for a totally green week - woot!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri May 08, 2015 4:27 am

Yay! You're doing terrific! So happy you're not too miserable! Itching all gone?

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri May 08, 2015 11:42 am

Thanks Linda :) Yep, itching all fixed. Return appointment with dermatologist today and he's happy.

Friday 8th May: Green walking and mindfulness.
No S - normal day with evening S event, early Mother's Day with my mother. We had cocktails (or in my case, a mocktail) with tapas, which meant lots of picking (not just one plate) and included a sweet plate to share at the end. But a pretty moderate day nonetheless.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat May 09, 2015 10:15 pm

A good weekend so far - had a sticky bun yesterday after yoga, plus a PB and honey sandwich - yum!
Today we've got breakfast with my husband's family for Mothers' Day, then this afternoon I'm going to make lime slice.
It's nice to enjoy the weekend properly after a green week, instead of feeling guilty and wondering if I should skip things.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 09, 2015 10:28 pm

Excellent work.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun May 10, 2015 6:14 am

So awesome iron! So many positives to NoS and having less guilt is definitely a big one. Have a happy Mother's Day ( or is that just a U.S. Thing?).

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun May 10, 2015 7:54 am

Thanks oolala, Linda :) Yes, mothers day is on here as well (I think the UK does it on a different day).

I weighed myself this morning at my MIL's house after our brunch there (I don't own scales anymore). I'm 72.7kg (about 160 pounds), which means I've gained around 12kg / 25 pounds during this pregnancy. That seems about normal to me, so I'm pleased, considering how many crazy weeks of eating and no exercise there have been, especially in the first tri.

I've been considering replacing my scales, but after this morning I've decided not to. I think it would make it too easy for me to focus on numbers. Once I'm a few months postpartum, I think I'll rejoin my gym round the corner. I can weigh every so often there (or at my MIL's). I think never weighing probably wouldn't work for me - I'd prefer to be kept honest every 2 or 3 months.

Edited to add: OMG the lime slice was divine. I have put the rest in the freezer to prevent me from eating it this week!

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sun May 10, 2015 2:28 pm

You're doing awesome!!! Happy Mothers' Day!!
No-S restart 01/08/23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun May 10, 2015 7:56 pm

25 lbs is great! Glad things are going so well. I like your plan of weighing just every now and then. And I don't know what a lime slice is, but I'm pretty sure I want some!😀

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon May 11, 2015 4:13 am

Monday 11th May: Green walking, green mindfulness, red No S.

There was morning tea at my work, because this is my final week. I tried my "just have a coffee" trick to no avail.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:32 am

Does morning tea mean food?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)