ironchef mostly weekly check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jessand2boys

Post by jessand2boys » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:18 pm

Lolol!!!!
Jessica

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:13 am

It definitely translates! Too funny! Thanks for these, they definitely brighten my day! :)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:04 am

Much better week this week, green so far (1/2 way through Wednesday). Started doing heavier weights this week, feeling really nice to do some exercise. Still walking - my hobbits are on their 3rd day out from Weathertop (Frodo is injured, but they still did a 19 mile day!).

Ironbaby and I cooked carrot and ginger soup yesterday, and once it was done we tried it together.
Me: So, what do you think of the soup?
Ironbaby: That is really great soup Mummy. I don't like it.

At least he tries to spare my feelings :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:40 am

Yay for exercise! Iron baby is just about the cutest! :)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:28 am

A mostly green week, really pleased. Even managed to turn down cake and gingerbread today (freshly baked). I've saved some for tomorrow. I did have a small piece of lemon and coconut cake yesterday, as we visited a friend and she'd baked it specially for Ironbaby and me, and done a sugarless recipe for the kids.

I've caved in and bought myself some scales when Ironbaby and I were at Ikea yesterday. I realise that I'm more motivated to stay green with No S when I have a number to track, so I'm going to return to my old way of weighing daily and calculating a trend.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:28 am

Weight on new scales Sat morning - 63.9kg (141 pounds). Down another 2kg (4 pounds), so that's good. Definitely see the change in my motivation when I know there are scales in the house. But still looking forward to eating some gingerbread today after making and decorating it yesterday!
Onwards and downwards!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:51 am

Scales definitely help me keep it real. Sounds like you're doing well! I haven't seen the other side of 150 since before my kids were born so 141 sounds great to me!

Enjoy your gingerbread!

Linda :)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:32 am

A busy week this week (my washing machine broke down - doh!), but have managed to stay green. Despite baking choc chip cookies, blueberry muffins and some banana bread. I've got a few things tucked away in the freezer for the weekend!

Linda, I really agree. There is something about having the scale that keeps me just a little more compliant. I'm lucky in that one bad (or good) reading doesn't throw me off course, but I think in the long term I need it as a reality check.

64kg is fine, and definitely in the healthy range, but it does mean I can't fit most of my tailored clothes - especially my work wardrobe. I can't really afford new clothes right now, so I'd prefer to get closer to my pre-pregnancy weight and fit into most, if not all, of my more expensive clothes. But if moderate effort doesn't get me there, I may have to make peace with that. We'll find out I guess :)

The gingerbread was lovely. We made gingerbread sheep because it is Ironbaby's favourite animal.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:20 am

Oh yeah I wasn't saying you should be happy at that weight. I was just saying it sounded good to me but I know everyone has their own weight they feel good at which varies over time.

Sounds like you have some delicious S food ready to go!

Linda

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:05 am

Yup, lots of delicious S food was eaten this weekend. Oof, feel in need of a few N days :)

I've been dipping a toe into the world of bread making, and today made my first batch of dinner rolls. Really pleased with them, but since I also made passionfruit and lemon butter with our passionfruits and lemons this weekend, it has been hard to resist overeating...

We have a new washing machine, thankfully, so life is a bit saner now. Especially important since the Squiggle did some explosive things today...probably the less said the better.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:26 pm

Green all week so far, with only Friday left to go. Monday and Tuesday were both really hard fought days, with 8hrs plus between meals. Especially Monday when I took Squiggle to a swim and exercise class, but didn't get home for lunch until 3pm - hungry!! It's helped that we haven't had as many morning tea things this week, so less opportunities for temptation.

It is interesting to me how habit works though. Every Wednesday morning we go to a "Toddler Jam" a few blocks from our house. You pay a small fee for 2 hrs of music and play for the kids, plus they get a healthy morning tea of fruit and veg etc. Adults are offered a coffee and a plate of more decadent adult biscuits (chocolate etc). The first week I went, I caved (and posted it here). The second week, I turned it down. Now, about 2 months later, I barely ever glance at the biscuit plate - my brain just goes "we don't eat those" and moves on. And, this week, the lady organising the sessions stopped offering. After maybe 6 repeats of "one for you" - "oh, not for me thanks", on Wednesday she walked past with the plate, smiled at me and said "oh, that's right, you don't" and then moved on. It's so cool to watch the progression from fail to succeed and now to not even being offered. I love No S.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:05 pm

Sounds like things are going well. Oh I miss those Mommy & Me classes where you could commiserate with all the other mommies. What they really need is a Mommy & my moody pre-teen class!

Really encouraging that ppl start to learn your habits after awhile and passing you by becomes their "habit". Cool!

Have a great weekend!

Linda

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:05 pm

ironchef wrote:The second week, I turned it down. Now, about 2 months later, I barely ever glance at the biscuit plate - my brain just goes "we don't eat those" and moves on...... It's so cool to watch the progression from fail to succeed and now to not even being offered. I love No S.
I agree! it's amazing isn't it? I never thought I'd reach this place - I think it's pretty cool too!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:44 am

Green this week. Taking an S event this evening, as I am going OUT! Yep, leaving my kids at home with my husband and going down to the nearby cafe strip. There is a little hole-in-the-wall bar there called Swallow Bar, and I'm meeting a few girlfriends who live locally for a drink and tapas. Just a few, as I'm going to be home to bed, plus the place is pretty pricey. But still - OUT! Like real adults!

My trend calculation says I'm down 1 pound, so 140 on the nose (63.5kg). A very slow slide down is what I'm after, as I don't want to do anything to change milk supply. I'm really pleased that vanilla No S (with VERY generous plates!) is doing the trick.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:57 pm

Sounds amazing--you deserve it!

Glad things are moving nice and steady for you!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:41 am

Thanks Linda, it was lovely. I had one cocktail, and shared some beignets.

Green this week. Tonight is an S event at a friend's house, she is hosting us for pizza and chocolate/beetroot cake.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:06 am

Red Friday - ordered an iced coffee, sans cream and icecream, but it turned out to be a lot sweeter than a normal coffee, more like a dessert. Live and learn.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:26 pm

I love iced coffee too but it is often too sweet to be acceptable for a weekday. Yet, I had the most wonderful iced coffee the other day. It was just a black coffee with peppermint flavoring served over crushed ice. It was so refreshing and I did not feel guilty when I marked that day green. Unfortunately I was out of town and cannot repeatedly visit that coffee shop. I have also looked for peppermint flavoring in coffee sections in the store without luck. :(
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:24 pm

Oh, that sounds lovely. I'm a huge fan of peppermint and spearmint flavours.

Green so far this week, will be tested today when a friend brings her kids over, they almost always bring some cookies or something sweet to share.

Trend calculation says I am down another couple of pounds to 138.

My hobbits are STILL on the run after Weathertop, and I've done over 320 miles. Wow, those hobbits are fast!

I've introduced a minimal daily exercise routine other than walking. Some of the other stuff I've tried was too time consuming and just didn't get done on busy days. This is a progressive program that should never take me more than 15 minutes (it gets harder, not longer as you go along). So far I've only missed one day in the last 2 weeks, so seems like it will be easy to stick with.

Big weekend of children's parties coming up, so I'm going to focus on being moderate and really enjoying treats, instead of eating a huge amount of fairy bread, twisties and cake and then coming home feeling sick. I mean, that was ok when I was 5, but I'm meant to have grown up ;)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:29 am

Love reading your updates. Woohoo for being down a couple pounds! So happy to hear your still keeping up with those hobbits! Did I ever tell you I went to hobbit camp when I was little?

What's fairy bread btw?

Glad things are well. You're workout routine sounds interesting. I just downloaded a cool yoga app and realized I don't really need to go to the gym to get exercise do I ?

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:20 pm

A couple more mostly green weeks with minor funny business. Trend weight down another pound to 137.-

Each evening at bedtime we sit with ironbaby and tell 3 things we are grateful for that day. The other night Ironbaby told me his three good things were his toy sheep, the nice sunny weather and his "beautiful wife". Turns out he was repeating one of daddy's 3 things from the day before. When I laughed he said "who is my beautiful wife, Mummy?"

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:16 am

A couple more mostly green weeks. My reds these days are usually small - a taste of homemade cookie or an extra slice of toast with soup. Down 3 more pounds to 134. Hobbits STILL running away from Weathertop - man they walked a long way.

I'm not checking here much anymore, as life gets busier. I like to think it's like oolala says - life has expanded to fill up the space where eating was! Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:43 pm

Enjoy your busy-ness. It's a great time of life :)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:37 am

Hey all, wow, haven't been here for ages. Life got really crazy around Christmas, with two emergency dept visits, the second one for my son's broken leg. So Jan and Feb in a cast, then March has been spent crawling around and re-learning to walk.

Anyway, in the mayhem of caring for a baby and a preschooler with a broken leg, my own self care has become a bit, erm, erratic. I've stuck to No-S where I could, but my food choices haven't been the best due to lack of time, and there have been lots of weird days with ages between meals and then strange snacks at odd hours. I've also almost completely dropped any formal exercise, except for walking a lot (with a double stroller) and lots and lots of lifting children.

Anyway, I'm still around 133 pounds, so enough of my habits have "stuck" that things aren't totally out of hand, but I'm feeling very tired and kind of squishy. I think a lot of this is lack of exercise and overeating a lot of very basic things like toast and sandwiches.

So, as always when life gets like this, I thought I'd check in again for a while to get myself back on track. For now just No S, but with exercise too once I work out a plan.

When I have time I'm really looking forward to catching up with other people - I see there are some regulars still posting here at the moment.

So, Monday 4th April:
No S Eating: Green so far :)
Exercise: Hackers Diet Exercise Ladder, Rung 5

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:39 pm

Tuesday 5th April
No S - green
Exercise - rung 5, took kids swimming

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi! April seems to be a good time for a re-boot!
:D
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:08 am

ironchef! We came back at the same time for a little time with the NoS family! ;)

So how old is Squiggle? And is ironbaby 4... or something like that?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:05 pm

Thanks ladies, it is nice to be back :-)

Auto, my little Squiggle is 10 months! And ironbaby is 4 in 2 months and goes to Kindy 2 days a week - almost a big kid! It was horrible with the broken leg, but now that's past it's really fun :-)

Wed 6th April
Green eating
Red exercise, just kept getting put off due to other tasks

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:38 pm

Iron: wow sounds so stressful. I'm so sorry you had such a rough time there. Hopefully things will settle down a bit now!

I must say I'm happy to see some of my favorite ppl here again!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:55 pm

Aww, thanks Linda. It really is lovely to come back to such great people in this little community.

Thurs 7th April
No S eating - green. Funny business: some unplanned virtual plating around lunch and dinner, but no sweets and all would have fit on a plate.
Exercise: rung 5

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:15 am

Hi! It's nice to see you again! I'm glad things have finally settled down for you a little bit. :D

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:17 pm

Thanks cg, lovely to hear from you too.

Friday 8th April
No S - one red moment, shared icecream after dinner with mr chef. Was a very conscious fail and feel ok with it. Other than that a green week.

Now, to have a moderate and thoughtful weekend :-)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:57 pm

ironchef, are you mostly at home with kiddos these days?

I can't remember if you quit altogether, or are working part-time, or what.

Do you still bike much? I'm looking for inspiration, and I know you are quite the biker.

BTW, I have this monster 1-mile hill. It's awful. I have to pull over to the curb and rest 2 or 3 times on the way up. Any hints for me? :lol:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:18 am

Ugh, wrote long reply, then didn't post - grr!

Mon and Tues - green No S, patchy on exercise.

auto, I'm home these days, doing a small amount of work via telecommuting, likely to head back part time in the next few months. Most of my biking is to and from work, so haven't had as much opportunity lately.

Motivation - make it part of your commute (or shop, or whatever) so it just happens, instead of scheduling capital E Exercise.

Hills. From marathon training, the main thing is self talk. As soon as you know the hill is coming, tell yourself you love the hills. Hills are the best training. You have edge because you're not afraid of the hills like everyone else. You're excited to have a hill on your route because you know it will make you stronger and faster. It sounds like rubbish, but it works.

Also, always look up to the crest of the hill you are climbing. It gives you a positive goal. Looking down at your own feet / the curb near your wheel can give you that horrid feeling that the hill GOES ON FOREVER. Also, by lifting your head, you will automatically open up your chest and airways. Your breath is what gives you the oxygen to power you up that hill.

Pick a spot on the hill (a driveway, a light post) that you WILL get to before your first rest. Then the next time, your goal is to get further before your first rest (even if only by 10 feet), etc. Mini goals will get you there.

Have fun! I love the bike!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:29 pm

Wed green for No S
Exercise rung 6

Managed to stay green even though I baked slice for a friend with a new baby. Just shows me how much reporting here makes a difference!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:18 am

Good job! Baked goods are a huge challenge for me. :D

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:21 am

Thanks cg! Yep me too, I can pass up chocolate, but bake it into some brownies and that's my kryptonite!

Thurs Green for No S
Still not consistent on exercise...

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:59 pm

Friday 2 red moments - shared my son's lemon and sugar crepe at morning tea, and after dinner ate one of the pumpkin fruit cake muffins we baked together today. Otherwise a green week.
Onward!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:05 pm

Monday 18th
No S eating - green
Exercise - have discussed with mr chef how to make time for some free weights or a Pilates video a couple of times a week. Our schedule on school holidays is a bit erratic.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:37 am

I like tabata....I think that's what it's called anyway. It seems right up your alley! Do you ever try that?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:59 am

Tabata - never come across it, will check it out!

Tues green, odd day, no brekky until 11am!

ETA just googled tabata, looks awesome! And killer!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:33 pm

Wednesday 20th - red at lunch. Took my son to the hair dresser for the first time, then out to lunch as a special treat. My pulled pork roll with sweet pen did fit on the plate, but was much too big, and we shared marshmallows and mint hot chocolate.

I've been thinking more about unsatisfying S days and permasnacking. My most satisfying S events are just that - one off S events enjoying specific treats. I'm considering a mod (gasp!) after over 3 years like this. My mod would be to allow up to 3 S events per week. Big S days would be reserved for just Christmas. I'm going to trial it until end of May, then review.

So S events this week will be some birthday cake on Friday with my folks, and some tapas on Sat when me chef takes me out for my birthday.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:21 am

Awww so sweet. I love those first haircuts. Definitely S day worthy. I love your mod idea and definitely think you're up to it. Either way it'll be an interesting experiment. I do think the key is in deciding them ahead of time maybe. At least for me it would.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Glad things seem to be a bit calmer for you now.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:59 am

Thanks Linda, yes much calmer here these days! Coming up to our 10th wedding anniversary next week! And both kids birthdays in May.
lpearlmom wrote:Awww so sweet. I love those first haircuts. Definitely S day worthy.
we've always just trimmed his hair at home, but it's getting beyond me.
I do think the key is in deciding them ahead of time maybe. At least for me it would.
absolutely! My fear is that it would be easy to use as an excuse for reds and thus get out of habit. Perhaps if I "declare" here each week my S events and anything else is a fail? Anyway, if it messes up my habits I'll just go back to vanilla.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:00 pm

Thurs green No S
Exercise - lots if walking and did weights. Tried out a tabata - auto they are deadly!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:01 pm

Yes vanilla is always waiting for you if you're experiment doesn't work out. Thanks for stopping by my thread. I'm hoping my issues aren't too big either but somehow I think there's another surgery in my future. You're right though, cutting back on alcohol is not a bad thing.

jackn

Post by jackn » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:20 pm

Just noticed your S-event mod, ironchef.

I've been doing something like that for weeks now. I call it S-meal or treat-meal.

I'll have whatever I like, as opposed to my usual whole food square meal, on the condition that it be the meal, and not come on top of the meal.

Thus, a choice is forced, and, often, I'll prefer my square meal, as I don't want to miss it. I mean 'don't want to' in a visceral, body way, not cerebrally.
And, definitely, I never want a treat-meal twice in a row, as, after a treat-meal, the attraction of a square meal is unbeatable.

Has worked very well for me.
Don't feel deprived, don't undergo the humiliation of going overboard with my S-days...

What do you think?
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi..i am just reading what you say about s events as I was thinking about adding this mod also..my hesitation is that I've just recommitted to Vanilla No s and 1 week of greens so far I'm feeling good. I may continue on and see how I go..my main reason for wanting to modify with S events is my constant snacking on S days. Hmmm something to consider..Good luck. Iron Chef..I'll be hanging about to see your experience of it .

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:49 pm

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the encouragement! I'll let you know how it's going.

I want to caveat this though, I don't want to be discouraging, but if you're new to No S or just returning I don't recommend mods. I love the podcasts on this : S Days Gone Wild and also the series in mods. I have been doing vanilla No S for over 3 years. I am at my goal (my pre-pregnancy weight) of 60kg, which puts me at the bottom end of the healthy bmi range. This is not an attempt to lose further weight, or lose faster. It's to try to enjoy more moderation, fully love decadent treats and eat less rubbish that I don't actually enjoy.

So Friday was green, with my planned a event of birthday cake after dinner. It was lovely, ironbaby and I made it together and I looked forward to a slice all day. It was a rich chocolate cake (ironbaby fave) secret ingredient is 1/4 cup blackberry jam.
Exercise - took kids swimming.

Today is the first weekend day with my mod. I have a planned S event this evening - tapas dinner with mr chef.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:52 am

Glad you're getting sufficiently "worked out" with tabata. I have an app on my phone. Now if I would only use it......

Enjoy your tapas with Mr. Chef
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:34 am

I did 3 pre-planned S-events per week in the past, and it worked for about a year... until I forgot about the word "pre-planned". As far as mods go, it was very humane. Can't wait to read your review. Best of luck on this!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:01 am

Thanks all, we had a lovely cheese and artichoke warm dip with toasts, and delish pavane cocktails. Dinner at home of barley broth before we left. Afterwards we split a handmade Turkish delight.

Thanks Imogen, I'm hoping it will be a moderate enough mod. I have resisted S day mods for a long time hoping they'd just moderate on their own. I've tried just having S's in company, but being at home with bubs that actually made me feel a bit trapped.

So far, so good, loving having space to enjoy my treats and not waking up full of stodge. Will see how I go once the honeymoon is over :-)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:02 am

Sunday 24th my first S day with no S events planned. Totally fine. Had one apple this arvo rather late after my lunch, but otherwise all good.

cedar

Post by cedar » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:27 am

Great advice iron chef about sticking to vanilla no s for a long while before adding any mods.
I've read your testimonials and you are a big inspiration to me to stick to no s (and being a fellow Aussie helps too :D ) so thanks.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:42 am

Sounds like a great weekend. Glad it's going well. I had to look up pavane cocktails & now I'm curious as to what it taste like. Maybe I'll make it to that side of the world one day!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:18 pm

Linda I'm sure you'd make a fabulous pavane cocktail!

Mon 25th - green, ANZAC day holiday

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:25 pm

Tuesday green.

Friday is my 10 year wedding anniversary, so I'm thinking of making dinner an S event so I can make a dessert.

Sunday my friend is catering our "yay 10 years" lunch for our family and bridal party, there won't be sweets, but I will make it an S meal in case I want seconds of something awesome, because our friend is an awesome chef.

Today is my son's first day back at Kindy for term 2, and my husband doesn't have to work, so I'm considering going out on my own for a coffee and an S treat today.

There, my week declared. Now to stick to it!

cedar

Post by cedar » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:38 am

Congrats on your 10 year anniversary. Looks like your S events are working well so far, enjoy. :D

minimizer

Post by minimizer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:56 am

Tenth anniversary is definitely an
S day event. Congrats!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:14 am

Yay 10 years congrats! And you're still friends with your bridal party--impressive!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:38 am

Decided not to have a sweet treat today, instead ducked out for a 30 min back massage with a voucher my husband got me for Christmas. Just as decadent, and more relaxing than coffee and sugar.

Thanks for the congrats all :-) our bridal party is really just our siblings on both sides plus our best friends, some of whom can't make it because they live in other countries.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:58 pm

Thursday green. Funny stuff - made pudding with spiced caramel sauce for my anniversary dinner tomorrow with mr chef. Tasted sauce more than strictly necessary to get spices right!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:44 pm

Friday S event anniversary dinner with homemade sticky toffee pudding. Red moment - had a mini choc cookie that I made with my son, after he told me I'd been a good girl eating my lunch and I could have a cookie :-)

Today is a normal day, then an S lunch tomorrow. So far loving the modification to S events, not feeling deprived, just really enjoying good treats and not eating junk "because I can".

My back is really hurting today after being up a lot with Squiggle last night. My challenge today will be avoiding eating because I feel sorry for myself / it hurts. This is not the kind of sick that is improved by food.

Ironbaby quotes that I forgot to put on here:
Ironbaby: Mummy, come and play a game!
Me: I will in a minute, I'm just getting this stuff off the baby's head.
Ironbaby: Oh, is it cradle crap?

Ironbaby: One day Squiggle will grow up to be Mummy.
Me: She might be a mummy one day. Would you like to be a daddy when you grow up and have your own babies.
Ironbaby: No, one baby is enough. Mummy, would you like to grow up to be Daddy?
Me: I'm already a mummy darling.
Ironbaby: Yes, but if you were Daddy wouldn't it be good? Then you could reach things when they're stuck up high in the lemon tree!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun May 01, 2016 2:32 am

Saturday red - ate a leftover piece of pudding for dinner. Sunday normal, with S event lunch :-)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon May 02, 2016 4:24 am

Oh I miss those iron baby quotes! Such a neat kid you got there. Sticky toffee pudding--something else I need to google!

Have a great week!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed May 04, 2016 8:08 am

S events this week: today baking practice for my sons birthday. Tomorrow mothers morning tea at Kindy. Saturday morning tea with my mother.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri May 06, 2016 10:33 am

Friday red - went to the new local honey shop with my son and ended up sampling!

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri May 06, 2016 12:25 pm

Haha..so gorgeous!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon May 09, 2016 5:19 am

Happy Mothers Day!! &#127800;&#127800;

I can tell by the way you talk about your kids and all the adorable, smart things iron baby says, that you are a wonderful, loving mum. I hope you had a great day--you deserve it!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri May 13, 2016 12:00 am

Both my kids are really sick, unlikely to check in for a while. Last night I was up from 10pm to 3am, then 4-5am. Up for the day at 6. So yeah, food and water as and when possible.

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri May 13, 2016 4:49 am

That's hard! Look after yourself as best you can.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri May 13, 2016 4:57 am

Oh dear--I'm so sorry to hear that! Yes sleep and eat when you can. NoS will be here when you can come up for air again.

Hope you get through this quickly!

*hugs* linda

cedar

Post by cedar » Tue May 17, 2016 11:34 am

Hope you're doing ok ironchef.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu May 19, 2016 1:14 am

Thanks ladies :-) Squiggle still sick, gone off food and breast feeding only. I've caught it now too. Be back once we are well!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:41 am

Well, we're still sick, but now it's just a head cold. I feel like we've been coughing for a month! And in May I had both my kids birthdays, hosting one friend and one family party - not what I felt like doing. Poor Squiggle was so tired and grizzly on her birthday. And I restarted work one day a week.

Anyway, with all the sick days and birthdays and chaos, there hasn't been much green! I've probably gained around a kilo, but find it hard to get too fussed about it. Sleep deprivation will do that to you ;-)

I'm back to vanilla. My S event experiment was not helpful - too much thought required, so difficult to automate into habit. Also I've always been very strict on N days - no jam on toast, no honey on porridge etc. So the S event idea means I'll never have those again unless I make them one of my events, and this makes me feel very rebellious. The alternative of course is to loosen up N days, but that goes against almost 4 years of habit.

My verdict - habit is dumb, don't confuse the poor beast!

So back to vanilla! Yesterday green, today green so far.
Exercise - ha! Unless you count carrying wailing children or having a coughing fit, none.

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:00 am

Gee..you poor things! That's so hard! There has been so many people sick around us and it seems to be that cough that doesn't want to leave! Hope each day gets better and better.

Interesting about your s events experience..I was thinking about changing from vanilla no s but I agree the lines would be too blurred and the thought required would make it too hard. Not habit friendly.

Good to see you back. All the best and hopefully you feel back to normal quickly.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:29 am

ironchef wrote: My verdict - habit is dumb, don't confuse the poor beast.
Love that iron! I had a very similar experience as you did with S events. Good info to have though I think.

So sorry youre still sick/sleep deprived! Early days are so tough! I promise it'll get easier.

Take care of yourself!

Linda

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:36 am

Thank you both. I'm sure we will get there soon.

Green for Friday, normal weekend. Tomorrow is a public holiday Monday for WA Day, but as it isn't a food related public holiday I'm. It making it an S day.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:01 am

We're all sick again / still. I'm so tired of not being well, of someone in the house always coughing or snotty. Since the 1st week in May we've had on and off coughs, colds and fevers.

I need to get back to vanilla no s, but I just feel so exhausted all the time and that keeps me reaching for food and drink to help get me through each day. Between the two kids I'm up several times every night, sometimes for hours at a time. My lack of eating structure has become just one more thing to feel down about.

Sorry for incredibly whiny post, but I'm just sapped and at my wits end here.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:20 am

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear that iron! Those early days with two little ones is SO hard and with everyone being sick it makes darn near impossible. It really will get better though. I promise it won't last forever!

As far as your eating goes just do your best and get back to NoS as soon as you can.

~~~~Sending healing positive vibes! ~~~~

Linda

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:27 pm

A house full of sick kiddos & the sleepless nights that come with it make it impossible to do much more than survive (: I always felt like when we made it though those times where it felt like someone was ALWAYS sick that we finally made it to a point where we were healthy for a while so hope that comes quickly for you!!!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:19 am

Thank you both! I can't tell you how nice it is to have empathy and encouragement. I know in my head that we'll get there eventually.

I think the worst of it is the isolation, as I don't want to give these germs to people. All the women in my family are pregnant (sister and both SILs) so I feel extra worried about making them sick. End result is I have seen my family or friend much over the past 2 months.

Anyway, yesterday was green, and even one normal on a day makes me feel less hopeless.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:44 am

Yeah it's great how one day on track can help you feel centered again. Isolation has definitely got to make this all feel harder. Do whatever you can to help yourself feel a little better. In those days if I could get a shower in and get dressed in decent clothes, it made a big difference.

I can remember when my youngest was first born and crying all the time while my oldest (2 yrs at the time) was very clinging and neither of them slept much. On top of it we were living in Kansas where I hardly knew anyone (for dh's fellowship) and he was working constantly. He was miserable because he had this horrible boss, I was lonely and sleep deprived. Ugh, that was a tough time, but somehow we got through it.

Now I just give my kids a kiss goodnight and they sleep all night, dh loves his job and has reasonable hours and well I have a few good friends so much less lonely these days. Anyway, I feel your pain. Hang in there and don't expect too much from yourself. Looking back I wish I would have just given into the chaos a bit instead of feeling so frustrated all the time by my lack of control.

Anyway glad things are already feeling a bit less hopeless.

Linda

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:15 am

Brings back so many memories of when I was home with sick little ones. They're grown now, but I remember just how flat-out defeated I felt. One time we all had the flu...me, my eldest son (5) and twin boys, (2). I was so sick I could barely move so we just threw blankets down and camped out on the floor all day. I can't say it was fun, but we survived!

I know the isolation and hard work of caring for small children can be difficult. I don't miss the sheer exhaustion, but I do miss the sweetness of those years. Hang in there...I'm sure you're doing a great job!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:56 pm

Yeah, they both have moments when they're super cute, which is fun. Squiggle just started walking and has her first few basic words (mummy, daddy, apple, nana, cat, more, etc). So that's fun.

Yesterday big red. Let's see what I can do for Tuesday!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:27 pm

Tuesday green, phew.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:42 am

Wed and Thursday green, Friday red. Squiggle up 2 hrs last night from 9:30-11:30. Poor little sickie.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:50 am

Pretty good overall I'd say! Sorry about squiggle. :/

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:26 am

Hi all,
Haven't been here for about 6 months as we were all sick / swamped by work. Also my No S habits are pretty settled, so seemed less need to post.

Anyway, I've just ended nursing with Squiggle and Ironbaby is about to start full time pre- primary school, so I'm very keen to get back to a regular exercise habit. So, where better than this daily check in :-)

The plan:
Cycle to work at least 2 days a week, increasing to every work day
Simple body weight strength exercises 3 times a week
14 minutes of something on any other day - eg yoga video.

Once I've got this going for a few months I'm going to restart running.

Look forward to reading what everyone else is up to :-)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:42 pm

Saturday S day for eating

I'm not taking exercise S days, as I just want to do something for 14 minutes (minimum) everyday. I want it to be like brushing teeth - weird if I don't do it. So, Saturday 14 minutes stretching, leg and ab strengthening.

Squiggle: Where is Ironbaby?
Me: Out with Daddy
Squiggle: (sighs) Ironbaby gone to work.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:28 pm

Sunday swimming with kids plus some some squats and push ups. Very low key day!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:42 am

Monday 23 cycle to work. Checking in is already working - I didn't want to do any exercises late last night, but wanted to have something to write here!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:26 pm

Tuesday 24th, yoga for upper body and arm strength
Wednesday 25th, cycle to an from work

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:53 am

Tough day for cycling today 38 deg Celsius (100F) and tomorrow will be 39C (102F). I might have to choose different exercise tomorrow!

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Amazing ironchef! I love your posts. I am not on here often at the moment but I will try to follow your thread.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:47 pm

Nice to see you again! You're doing great!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:10 am

So happy to see you posting again. I miss your positive energy. And level-headedness.

Definitely a bit cold to bike! &#128513;

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:40 am

Aww, thanks guys, it's really nice to "see" old friends here. I got so down with all our illness last winter that I just had no energy for keeping up here. Which is silly, because I always feel positive and inspired after reading the lovely threads here.

Linda - only because you live in Arizona can you get away with calling a Perth summer cold :-) it is well over 100F here today and we are sweating.

Today is an S Day - Australia Day and also my husbands birthday party. So I've had some birthday cake but I'm still hoping to exercise later - maybe after the kids are in bed and it cools off a bit.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:11 am

Straight after bedtime last night some old friends we hardly ever see dropped by. They had brought their kids into the city for Australia Day fireworks, which were cancelled after a plane crashed into the river, so they were at a loose end. They stayed until 10pm, so my exercises didn't happen. Ah well.

Today just a normal day, so hoping to fit in some strength work.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:35 am

Fri 27th normal day, went running with the dog after kids were asleep, yay!

Another 38C (100F) day today, so will have to do something after dark.