2 meals a day? College Students Have No Time ;.;

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MystieRains

2 meals a day? College Students Have No Time ;.;

Post by MystieRains » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:13 pm

Hey, this is perfect for college students really. Well, kind of, for me. Too lazy to walk back to get food and too cheap to buy many snacks. Decided to try it. I might stick with fruit though since there's only so much I can drag out.

But for those who have no jobs to drag them out, what do you do when you have no time for a meal (like waking up and you're 10 minutes late for class already) etc?

navin

Post by navin » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:46 am

Seriously, prevention is the key here. EVen when I was in college, this was never really a problem - the one time I did oversleep for a class, oddly enough, was a 12:00 class! (Never missed my 8:45 ones...)

Anyhow, a good alarm clock, getting to bed at a reasonable time, keeping a sane schedule, etc. all help. I was able to free up a lot of time by never studying, but I'm not sure if I'd recommend that one. :)

Barring that, if it's always breakfast that is rushed for you, make it as easy as possible. A couple granola bars, maybe some yogurt.. stock up with things that are quick and easy. If nothing else, you can eat that granola bar on your way to class.
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:51 pm

Hi MystieRains,
what do you do when you have no time for a meal (like waking up and you're 10 minutes late for class already) etc?
1) eat your meal later, when you get a chance.

2) grab something snacky and quick but make it officially a meal (navin gives some good examples).

and of course, the inevitable, boring, nagging, but most important point:

3) try not to let this happen often. Treat meals as something important, not to be skipped. You'll enjoy them more, eat better, and long term, find you're on time for other stuff more, not less often. It's not a meals vs. life competition -- on the contrary. Regular meals enforce the habit of regularity like nothing else. It's your most basic internal metronome.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Reinhard

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:44 pm

As a recent college grad...

Now maybe... MAYBE you are diligently studying 60 hours a week, and going to class for 15-18, every week, all the time.

Maybe your day goes: get to class, study between classes, get to other class, study some more, get to last class (Because hey, they never put them close enough together unless you want to take underwater basket weaving or WorstCourseInMyMajor 101)... and then go home, exhausted, but you still fill out the day for which you are awake 17-20 hours and hardly sleep because you study so hard...

Or maybe between classes you hang out at the coffee place on campus (or equivalent) with couches and nap on them, and chat with your buddies, and then scramble to finish assignments towards the end.

The 2nd one is more like me. I thought I had no time, but then I found out I was watching movies and anime for 10 hours a week, chatting with friends till 3am when I could have woken up earlier and made a bag lunch, and in general screwing myself over till I stopped procrastinating.

If you want to do the diet more than you want to have fun most of the time, it's highly likely that you can.

Disclaimer:
Some folks really are like the first student. I've met a couple exactly like that. If you are like that, simply stay away from the vending machines and snacks, and wait to do the diet 100% until you are out of school because you should not be killing yourself over this when you are working that hard already.
Most of the ones I've met are crazy and sacrifice the sleep for the social life, so if they sleep 4 hours, they socialize for another 4 instead of sleep.
"It's the perfect time of year
Somewhere far away from here"

10ch

Post by 10ch » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:18 pm

If you want to do the diet more than you want to have fun most of the time, it's highly likely that you can.
I think this goes for anything. I'm grappling a bit on the "willpower" element of "No S" because I've always been a firm believer in the notion of willpower being pure kaka. Your priorities are your priorities and they will always win out.

In "No S," because it's a slow-moving/maintenance kind of thing, maybe the notion of willpower comes into play more. It's harder to base a decision like "not eating a snack" on the whether or not you want to change if you aren't likely to notice the consequences of that decision in short time.

Still, when I feel my belly rumble, I think of my longer reaching goal to be lean -- and how much that means to me -- to stop me from eating. It doesn't feel like willpower.

How about for ya'll? Where do you go internally to find the strength to stick w/the "No S?"

JWL

Post by JWL » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:48 am

I've done No-S with 2 meals per day (with some down times) for almost a year now. I find it works better for me, though I was advised against it by many people on this forum. Much of the world is accustomed to 2 meals per day, but it does require a certain amount of getting used to. Given your crazy schedule you may be able to get it to work.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:50 am

Sometimes when I am rushed and don't have time for breakfast, or on the weekends when I sleep right through it, I just consider myself to be out of luck and look forward to the next meal. I try not to skip the meals, but when I do it does not seem to be such a problem.