10ch's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

10ch

10ch's Daily Check In

Post by 10ch » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:05 am

Day 1: SUCCESS

Funny stuff: okay so the plate at Brixx's is bigger than I recall it being, but upon finishing my meal I didn't by any means feel stuffed, so I'm going to count it as a win. No snacking, no sweets and no seconds = success.

Noteworthy: Began the day with a 14 minute shovel gloving session and nearly an hour long lunch time walk through the Duke gardens listening to a lecture by Dora Goldstein on the biology of sexual orientation. Neat stuff.

10ch

Post by 10ch » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:21 am

Day 2: SUCCESS

No funny stuff a'tall.

Noteworthy: Another 14 minute shovel glove session, this time with music. Though I don't think CSN sets the proper SG mood. I also went on another long walk during lunch -- this time through busy(ish) streets. It's remarkable how much ground one can cover in an hour. Listened to a "philosphy talk" on Intelligent Design, wasn't as captivating as yesterday's but that's likely because a lot of the name/theory dropping was over my head.

I'm digging this No S thing.

pangelsue

Welcome

Post by pangelsue » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:34 am

Welcome 10ch
You have interesting taste in listening material. I will have to try that. I used to listen to books on tape but haven't for a long time.

No Sing is great and it works. Great supportive group too.

Hang in there.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:05 am

Hiya and welcome!

Sounds like you're off to a great start. Hope this works as well for you as it is for me.

C.
CaroleJo

10ch

Post by 10ch » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:20 pm

Morning carolejo and pangelsue -- Thank you both for your welcome messages.

I find that listening to lectures, audio books and podcasts really add a lot to an afternoon walk. For me, they're engaging in ways that music just isn't. I look forward to my walks much more because I'm interested in hearing about the topic/chapter of the day.

Most Significant Benefit: The motivation for walking rests less on my motivation to get out an exercise and more on my curiousity for what's on my iPod. By the way, there are some great links on the walking with tunage post. (The lectures I've downloaded so far have been from the http://itunes.stanford.edu site.)

ceu

Post by ceu » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:43 pm

I need to get an ipod. That lecture definitely sounds up my alley as I'm bi.

Welcome! :)

10ch

Post by 10ch » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:49 pm

Hi ceu, you don't need an iPod to listen to it, just iTunes (I'm presuming here, but you might not even need that).

According to the lecture, which was by Dora Goldstein, there is a gay gene that comes from the X chromosome (our Mama's). But like many things -- being straight or gay isn't just genetic, it's entirely possible to be one or the other with or without the gene present.

Today's podcast was a philosophy talk on Friendship. Unfortunately because of a meeting, my walk was cut short and I've only listened to half, but I think I'll walk around the neighborhood when I get home so I can finish it.

10ch

Post by 10ch » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:57 am

Day 3: SUCCESS

No funny stuff.

Noteworthy: I had a lunchtime meeting that bumped right into the time I'd been taking each day this week to go on a long walk. I was bummed that I couldn't take the time, which is a good sign that I'm enjoying the walks on several levels.

I ended up walking about 30 mins to and from another office on campus and then when I got home finished up the "Philosophy Talk" podcast on friendship. I wanted to keep walking a while though, so I started up another one on moral dilemmas. Those radio guys get on my nerves a little, but the topics are quite interesting.

pangelsue

Links

Post by pangelsue » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:44 am

Thanks for the links. Go ideas to help with the walking routine. Have to try it out.
Sounds like you are doing good. Hang in there.

10ch

Post by 10ch » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:11 am

Day 4: SUCCESS

No funny stuff, unless you count a fortune cookie as a sweet (and I don't).

Noteworthy: Fluevogs aren't the greatest walking shoe. I think I just need another pair of Keens that go with black. Today's listening pleasure was a "Philosophy Talk" show on moral dilemmas (with a minor repeat of the beginning, from yesterday's walk). Still working on the proper SG music... Bonnie Raitt isn't quite doing the job either.

Tomorrow I travel to see my folks in Charlotte. We're celebrating my birthday, which is next week, so depending on what they have planned, tomorrow might be an S-day. (Since my birthday actually occurs on an S-day, it works out in my head to be a fair trade.)

pangelsue

Abba

Post by pangelsue » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:14 am

You'll probably think this is crazy and I wouldn'y listen to them under normal circumstances buttttttttttttt, Abba is great to work out to. The beat is just conducise to exercise. Maybe it's because you are so anxious to get it over with. LOL I have never SG so I can't swear to it but they always kept me going.

david

Post by david » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:52 pm

10ch,

Keens totally rock! I'm looking to buy a pair of Keen Bronx in black soon. The tan pair I already have are so good for my WIDE feet.

thanks,
David

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:13 pm

Have a great birthday bash Becky!!!!
Hope you got a good fortune in your cookie :)
Yeah, Bonnie Raitt is great, but too laid back for SG!
LOL....
Find something that makes you move your bootie!
(And sorry, Abba!!!??? LOL.... Yeah, I'd try to find something you actually look forward to, instead of something you want to be over with soon! LOL..
Sorry Pangelsue, the song is called "Dancing Queen" not "SG Queen!!!" LOL..)
By the way, I checked out a little of your blog and you have come such a long way!!!!
Woweeee!!!
You are my hero!!!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

10ch

Post by 10ch » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:26 pm

First the weekend report, then the commentary.

Day 5: S-Day -- Wasn't much of an S-Day, which was good, but there was a wee bit of sugar during lunch (in the form of a soft drink, no less) and what would've been a rather large plate for the birthday dinner (had there been a plate, instead of several). But it was a birthday kind of day.

Day 6: S-Day -- Again, not much snacking but boy howdy the ice cream.

Day 7: S-Day-- Too much ice cream!

Okay, so... I feel I went overboard with the sugar this weekend. This was my first S weekend, so I'm not really sweating it, but I totally overdid it and I know that in the back of my head, I felt a need to (or something like a need).

I'm glad I'm back to the boundary and structure of a N-Day, even though that structure is what I was eating against this weekend. I hope every weekend doesn't feel like that.

gratefuldeb67, the fortune was one of those silly ones. It said something about how our first and last love is self-love. I much prefer the ones that predict things. And thanks for the birthday wishes & blog comments.

david - I am in 100% agreement with you. I think Keens are the best shoes ever and my feet aren't even that particularly wide. I've never put on a pair of shoes that were so unfailingly comfortable and from the first minute of putting them on, to boot. I've got the brown bronx ones and want to get the black ones, too!

pangelsue - at the threat of being seen as a major dork, I'm actually a bit of an ABBA fan. It all started with going to see Mamma Mia! and having my expectations blown out of the water (they were a lowly low to begin with, but it was a great show) and then top that off with the movie, Muriel's Wedding, and well they just aren't that bad in my book. But it's gotta be the classics. And I think we even have their best hit CD. I'll give 'em a try this evening and let you know.

ceu

Post by ceu » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:24 pm

Happy birthday (belated!)! :)

10ch

Post by 10ch » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:56 am

Day 8: SUCCESS

Funny Stuff: Again with the Brixx (buck fifty pints on Mondays), but no worries here.

Noteworthy: No afternoon walk today. Stormy weather plus too much working resulted in an afternoon sans walk. I've noticed that when I vamp up the work ethic my biking and urban rangering suffer. I have a hard time creating a balance. I did get my shovel gloving in, outside to boot, which had me looking over my shoulder a few times for peeping neighbors, but enjoying the weather too much to really be concerned.

And ceu, your birthday wishes are not belated, actually. I traveled to see the folks for my upcoming birthday, but I considered it an S-day because it was a celebration and because my bday is on an S-day (this Saturday) to boot.

10ch

Post by 10ch » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:31 am

Day 9: SUCCESS

No funny stuff.

Noteworthy - I had planned to walk to an appointment today but managed to find enough reasons not to, I did get in a bike ride though, so I feel better about my smart commuting quota. :) Also, another late shugging session, but better late than never. I like the callouses I see/feel forming.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:29 pm

Go 10ch!!!!!

Hey Becky,

Ha! I just figured out that 10ch is your name!!! LOL..
That only took two weeks or something!
Duh!!!!!!!!
I'm so quick on the uptake these days!
::drool dripping from gaping mouth with dumb expression::
LOL...

Good going with your bad ass callous forming self!!!
I just know you are getting a big lift from SG!
Enjoy!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

10ch

Post by 10ch » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:29 pm

Day 10: SUCCESS

Funny stuff: Dinner was pushing a bit on the one plateful side, but I consider it a successful day.

Noteworthy: Biked to work, missed shugging today. Would like to make it a morning routine vs. an evening one. Either that, or I need to get comfortable shugging in front of Allison. Most things are just fine but shugging and using a neti pot are just solo activities for me.

And gratefuldeb67 - Me and my callouses thank you for the encouragement.

Simon

Post by Simon » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:58 pm

I kinda concur on the solo thing there 10ch. Hence my early morning Hammer Time.

My wife looked at me kinda funny when I explained my SG commitment. The No-S diet was straightforward enough, but flinging about a sledgehammer to get in shape?? It's the weird that's part of the appeal to me, so whatever.

I've only just recently (like, last couple months) started to hear about neti pots. As one who's been a chronic sinus sufferer for most of my life, are they really as cleansing as I've heard? I've mostly heard from those that use them that they've made it a regular practice, like we have shugging here.

True? No?
Simon
"Hickory Hand of the North"

10ch

Post by 10ch » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:25 am

Day 11: SUCCESS

No funny stuff.

Y'know, this daily check in is a pretty good idea. Having a 21 day accountability factor helps to keep me in line and motivates me when I see that everyday I'm closer to that habit-zone.

Noteworthy: Rode my bike into work again today. Also shugged and I gotta say, for some reason I slowed down today and boy howdy did it make a difference is how I felt afterwards. Slowing down really helped my form and made each movement count more. It felt more like a weight lifting routine and less aerobic. A good sign.

Also noteworthy, it's getting easier to not eat something w/in 15 mintues of walking through the door when I get home each night. I'm also noticing that I'm filling the time between when I get home and when we eat (sometimes as great as 3 hours) with reading, which I enjoy and chores, which need to be done. Not eating = easier. Life stuff = better. A win-win.

I gotta say, Simon, I'm extremely jealous of your location. A very good friend of mine moved up to Edmonton in August and even though you are likely not to know him, your chilly location affords you the easy opportunity. If you're ever in the bike lanes, keep a lookout for a blue 'n black Cannondale F600.

Regarding neti pots, I'm not a chronic sinus sufferer, but I would imagine you and neti pots would be a nice fit. I like the way it feels afterwards and I like to imagine that it helps a little after biking behind cars and buses for 10 miles each day.

Simon

Post by Simon » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:51 am

I may just look into those pots then. Thanks for the testimonial!

And while I most probably don't know your friend, I'll not likely see him as I have no idea what to look for when scouting for a Cannondale F600. Don't do much biking anyhoo... More a runner, you see.

But you never know!
Simon
"Hickory Hand of the North"

10ch

Post by 10ch » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:34 pm

Day 12: SUCCESS (Sorta-Day)
Day 13: S-Day
Day 14: S-Day

Today I embark on my third week of No S. Friday was a "Sorta-Day" because Saturday was my birthday and while Friday was entirely No S, I ate more than a plateful at the Indian buffet, which was my birthday dinner. I feel good about it though, because I think I have a tendency to go all out when I break a food rule. If it's a No S day, and I eat too much at a meal, my typical response would be to make it an S-Day from that point on and try to get in as much as I can, but my two N-Day/S-Days weren't like this at all. They were both birthday dinners (last Friday and the Friday before that) and I ate significantly more than I would on an N-Day, but I didn't end the day with eating Sugar or breaking any other No S rule.

I think this is a great sign.

Oh and there was a lot less ice cream this weekend.

Also, on the weekends I refrain from shugging, but last weekend I had to do a lot of shoveling (dirt into wheelbarrows for the garden) and this weekend I found myself chopping wood (with my new birthday axe!).

10ch

Post by 10ch » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:40 pm

Day 15: SUCCESS

No funny stuff.

Noteworthy: Day 15 marked the first real temptation I've faced while giving No S a try. We have all these sweet treats and junk food around the house from the birthday party this weekend. There's potato chips, dip, strawberry shortcake, homemade chocolate chip cookies... NUTELLA. It's not all that difficult, but last night on the way home from Brixx I had a debate in my head about giving in.

When I bike to work, it seems very easy to give in to sweet temptations b/c I know that the calorie in vs. calorie out will accommodate it. But my daily check in nipped that thought right in the bud. I didn't want to start over and I didn't want to type a big red FAILURE in my box. So I didn't have any of those tempting goodies when I got home.

And I survived! Which is the best part of No S, in my opinion. If we don't eat between meals, we survive. It's no big deal to our bodies (except for those few grumbly minutes or hours before the next meal).

10ch

Post by 10ch » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:10 pm

Day 16: SUCCESS

No funny stuff.

Noteworthy - It was another difficult decision night for the sweets after dinner. I came through with a "no" but not after an internal debate as to whether No S is right for me and "but I biked in today" and all that jazz.

The check in's what did it this time again. I wonder what will happen when the 21 days are up and the check in accountability isn't as big of a deal (at least to me).

Maybe that's when the habit part will kick in and I can rely on that (plus the knowledge that I made it x number of days w/o snacks after dinner just fine.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:44 pm

The check in's what did it this time again. I wonder what will happen when the 21 days are up and the check in accountability isn't as big of a deal (at least to me).

Maybe that's when the habit part will kick in and I can rely on that (plus the knowledge that I made it x number of days w/o snacks after dinner just fine.
Sadly that hasn't happened to me yet! If I don't keep going with the checkin, then I fall off the wagon again. At least when I 'cheat' now, it's a different kind of overdoing it than it was pre NoS. My messups these days would be insignificant in comparison to beforehand, so that's a success for me at least.

Looks like it's going well for you anyway. congrats on making it past a few difficult days.

C.
CaroleJo

10ch

Post by 10ch » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:55 am

Day 17: SUCCESS

No funny stuff.

I will say it here and now -- as much as I doubt it, one quesadilla will fill me up just fine. I don't need chips and salsa or even nuk'd spinach. (I had my doubts earlier tonight that the meal and very small plate it filled would be enough to tide me over, but it was and will be hence forth.)

I had another difficult night, this time pre-dinner. I keep doubting my commitment to No S and the reasons behind it, but when I'm sane I feel differently and think No S is a great idea... maybe it's the lack of results that's getting to me.

Regardless, these 16 days have passed pretty quickly so I can't complain.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:25 am

the 'lack of results' thing gets to a lot of people - me included. The problem is that if you haven't got much more to lose, it's gonna take a long time to go, but in comparison to the earlier days, it feels so slow that you wonder if anything is actually happening!

I try not to let it bother me when everything stalls for a while. I think it's just my body re-adjusting and incorporating the changes I made so far. I figure that every day that goes by where I don't gain anything back makes it more likely that I'll stick to it and more likely that the weight WON'T come back. Plus, the character and makeup of my body is still changing, even if the number on the scale isn't reflecting that. I know that I'm gaining muscle and strength - I can see the change in the shape of my limbs. I even gained a couple of pounds over the last few weeks but if anything, my clothes feel looser so I really don't think it's fat. Perhaps you're experiencing the same in your 'butching up' efforts..?

I've only got about 20lb left that I want to lose. Even that is artificial though. Afterall, who 'decided' that I should try to weigh 78kg? I did, of course. And it's not in any way scientific, but actually quite arbitrary! Most people who look at me would agree that 192lb is too heavy for my frame (5 foot 10") but nobody can really say what is really spot on. Where are you in relation to where you think you'd like to be? Pretty darn close, right? Perhaps you're already at the weight your body wants to be at - if there even *is* such a thing!

Anyhow, I hope you can follow what I'm trying to say in my crazy, longwinded and round-about kind of way.

C.
CaroleJo

10ch

Post by 10ch » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:29 pm

Hi carolejo -

Thanks a lot for your encouragement. I've gotta say, it really helped to hear it.

I'm trying "No S" because it makes sense... common sense, and that's really important to me. I'm in conflict over it because I'd rather trust myself (and not put the onus of food decision making on some diet, even though it's decision making factors are ones that are easy and doable). No S takes the stress away from eating. It manages to be very doable while being very black and white.

Heck, maybe it's a pride thing. If you look at the last couple of years, I've tried to make my own decisions and I've been successful in the maintenance realm. My decisions are taken away from me now (for the most part) and while it's easier and less stressful, I'm grappling with the loss of that freedom. Is it something I'm willing to sacrifice for the sake of a relatively unemotional (and guilt-free) relationship with food?

I guess I've got some thinking to do. Thanks again for writing. Mind if I add you on LJ?

Beck

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:38 pm

Please feel free to add me. I'll add you back as well.
C.
CaroleJo

10ch

Post by 10ch » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:55 pm

Day 18: SUCCESS

Funny stuff: Big plates today, but no seconds, snacks or sweets so, success.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:20 pm

Hi Becky!
NoS is for everyone!!! LOL...
Seriously!

But really, what you may be feeling right now, is an immediate craving for some quick energy, due to all the exercise you are doing...
I suggest not rationalizing the sweets with the calories in/out model of thinking, because, one day, in the far far future, when you aren't a Spring Chicken and you may not be as active, you will be stuck with some seriously bad habits of rationalizing sweets and snacks for all kinds of reasons...
I would suggest really really looking into planning super bulked up protein and calcium packed meals with loads of foods high in nutrients like, fruits and veggies and stuff you need to maintain an active, healthy lifestyle...
Nutella, and oreos, though delicious, just will turn you into a carboholic, if you start leaning on them for the quick fix energy your body is crying for..

Don't do it! :)
Incidentally.. I get cravings here and there for stuff, as all of us do, but it never turns into a internal battle of "Sweets/Snacks" vs... NoS...
We all have an "Inner Brat" as Carolejo calls it, and it's just never going to stop nagging us at times, but don't let it sway your confidence in whether NoS is "right" for you... It's a craving, and any diet will have to face it, not just this plan...

Hope you don't mind my little rant on the NoS Soapbox, Beck!
and Keep it up!!!
You are almost there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peace and Love
8) Deb

10ch

Post by 10ch » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:01 pm

Welp, today is day 21 of No S and I'm at a loss (figuratively, that is).

Day 19: SUCCESS
Day 20: S-Day
Day 21: S-Day

For the first time in five months, I've gained weight. I made a decision in November of last year to maintain (at 185) and I've done so like clockwork. Everytime I've stepped on the scale (randomly) I've been at 185 or below. Today I was up 3 or 4 pounds.

This in itself wouldn't be a big deal if I hadn't felt like I've been making sacrifices for the last three weeks. Normally I feel like I have freedom in my food choices and I eat good sized meals, and have my fair share of beer and ice cream and I magically maintain.

I've felt challenged every N day of No S and I've also gotten more exercise in than I have in a long time -- with some shugging, urban rangering and lots of biking. I feel like I wasn't rewarded for those sacrifices and efforts. I don't feel smaller and the scale confirms that.

I imagine I've just eaten too much (though I am perplexed with all of the exercise why that mattered). I know I ate bigger than normal meals so that I would avoid feeling hungry (not bigger than a plate though). And I also ate a lot of sugar on the weekends because I felt deprived of it during the week.

Anyway, I thought I would report here and let you know my experience. I'm not looking for any "but just wait! No S WILL work for you!" comments, I'm not in any real need to lose weight (well except for maybe 3 or 4 pounds :) ) but if there are others that've had the same sort of results after the 3 weeks, then I am interested in hearing about it.

It's a great common sense idea, I just wonder if the idea of restriction (even if smart restrictions) made my eating unhealthy for a bit.

I guess I've learned that I shouldn't try to fix what's not broken w/my own eating habits.

david

Post by david » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:00 pm

Becky,

I have had a similar experience on No-S. I gain weight, but my pants fit more loosely--I don't yet fully understand why this occurs. I do have a suspicion, though--I'm pretty sure that my protein intake is higher when I'm doing No-S. I also feel like I exercise differently on No-S...I do less rope skipping and way more hammer swinging, for example.

My first few cycles through this thing I got frustrated about the up and down scale numbers, but now I'm not so worried about those numbers because there is no doubt that in the past two weeks the top two "beers" of my six pack are starting to emerge and I'm getting much more big, veiny, and cut-up in my arms and shoulders.

So, I think I've had similar frustrations but I've decided to ride it out for a while. :D

thanks,
David