Weird question, I know, but.....

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
gk

Weird question, I know, but.....

Post by gk » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Does anyone know how to get rid of that very strong and offensive, "new rubber smell" from a yoga mat??

I purchased my first one yesterday, all psyched about starting to attend exercise classes, and the smell was NOT very pleasant. I've washed it with soap and water - no difference. It's now hanging outside, but I doubt that will do anything, according to others on-line who have reported having the same problem.

I don't think my deep breathing in yoga class will give me much benefit if I pass out from the fumes! :lol:

Anyone have any tips?

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:18 am

Soaking the mats in a strong solution of vinegar or bicarbonate of soda (not both at the same time) may help to speed the odour away. I haven't found anything that's immediately effective, but repeated applications should improve matters.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:53 am

Thanks for the reply!

The store was nice enough to let me return it. I purchased another type and it was just fine. In fact, I noticed the only mats that have that offensive odor are the very thick ones that are almost "foam rubber" like. I know not to ever buy that kind again!!